550xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake99

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for a second smaller saw.I was thinking to buy a 550xp.but the 550 is a AT saw and i have read some mixed reports about the autotune system.

Any advise is welcome.

regds,
Jan

Last edited:
With anything new, you'll have a group that claims that any new technology is unreliable, not as good as the old proven standby, etc, etc, and you'll have a group that embraces the technology. The only reason you hear mixed reviews on the Auto Tune is the few problems that people have aren't fixed with a simple turn of a couple screws anymore, and the first group that I mentioned, well they find that absolutely appalling. How dare they release anything without years of field testing, blah, blah, blah?!?

Husqvarna surely sunk a large sum of funds into the development of the AutoTune system, are there some hiccups occasionally, sure, but to continue the development until the system is 100% flawless would have cost exponentially more. How many test saws would you have to run the have a six sigma confidence level that you won't have any issues in the field?

Mixed reviews, either love it or hate it. It either works great or damn this inferior product because I can't fix it. Just pick a side.

I have a 555, obviously with AT, and I love it. But, I'm biased, I like new tech, I like being an early adopter.

Last edited:
Your money, your saw

My advice, get a 346XP while you still can. I've never been a huge fan be it saws, cars, etc of shelling out my money for the "privilege" of being a multi-billion dollar corp's Beta Tester.

Take Care

I bought another 346xp a little over a year ago, when I found it was goin to be replaced.

I'm pretty sure the 550 is goin to be a fine saw, but we don't have any to try around here yet.

Great reports so far with the 555 / 560 /562xp...

I am usually a fan of old school, but my dealer/pusher sold me a 562 and I have NEVER been happier with a stock chainsaw. That being said, the 346xp is still a favorite.

I would buy the 346 in case it takes a while for the 550 to come out.

I have a new MS441 M Tronic and really like the new technology. Some want to live in the past, still think the earth is flat and don't think there is a future in what Orville and Wilbur invented. No sir, it's steam locomotives for them, tried and true technology!

Steve

The 550xp has been out for a while here, and the AT thingy has been out for some years (576 AT). The new models have a new version, that is easy to update with new softvare, as it develops. :msp_smile:

Last edited:
Is the 555/562 akin to the 357/359?

Exactly..almost...the actual comparison would be 555/560 (both small mounts), but for some reason Husky chose not to make the small mount available in the US and sent the large mount 562 to these shores. But what you say is right in the sense that they are variations of the same saw, with one receiving the XP designation.

The 550xp has been out for a while here, and the AT thingy has been out for some years (576 AT). The new models have a new version, that is easy to update with new softvare, as it develops. :msp_smile:

Any idea if the diagnostic interface/tool will be available for end users?If so what could it cost ?

I bought another 346xp a little over a year ago, when I found it was goin to be replaced.

I'm pretty sure the 550 is goin to be a fine saw, but we don't have any to try around here yet.

Great reports so far with the 555 / 560 /562xp...

The 550xp has arrived

Jan

Thanks for posting the pictures, and for weighing the saw. That's a very light saw! :msp_thumbsup:

When are these saws going to arrive in the U.S.? Has anyone heard any recent rumors?

Doug

Back