562 XP FANS - Click Here for a reality check.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwoods

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So your non-Husky firewood buddy give you grief over not only running a Husky but a "60" cc one at that. Read on.

I just spent a little over three hours cutting side by side - me with a ported MS361 (very strong saw) and my cutting partner with a stock 562 XP both with 20" bars. Stihl had Stihl chisel and Husky had Oregon semi-chisel. Other than re-fueling, our saws were shut off probably less than 6 times as we had a tractor and a skid steer bringing and holding logs as we bucked them. Stihl on one end and Husky on the other. At least 75% of the wood was larger than bar length, quite a few 30"+, and all hardwood - just about every type common here except walnut.

I will just say this once: Husky 562 XP owner, hold your head high as you should have a fine cutting saw. Despite the close advertised specs, I don't believe either of my non-M MS362s would come close to keep up with the 562 XP, or at least the one I witnessed today.

Aside from the brand wars, I know 60 cc saws get little love here. And many will contend that a diet of 20+ inch hardwood is 70 cc + territory. Suffice it to say that IMHO a 60 cc saw can be a great all round firewood saw. My cutting partner today left his nice 372 XP sitting in his truck next to his 3120 XP. And he is probably 20 years younger than me and in much better shape. We both picked what we thought was the best tool for the job from our respective saw sets. I believe it is more than a co-incident that they were both 60 cc.

:chop::chainsaw: :chop:

Ron

Sounds great, but how did your ported 361 do? From what I have read (no experience with the 361), it should have not had any trouble keeping up!? I have run my 562 against a standard carbed 362, & the 562 was quite a bit faster in 24in Cottonwood with both saws using 24in bars. By quite a bit faster I mean 6-7sec faster!

... 60cc is all I need or want for larger saws, have 4 of em...

I have 4 as well. All Stihls; two for me and two for lending. If I only had one saw, a 60 cc would be it. It is only in really hard and dry 20"+ wood that I must use a lighter hand on my 361. It gobbles red oak bar buried as if it were dessert. And I love red oak for firewood. If you are falling 30" oaks as opposed to just bucking I would recommend 70 cc + but I do little falling and have saws for that when I do.

Sounds great, but how did your ported 361 do? From what I have read (no experience with the 361), it should have not had any trouble keeping up!? I have run my 562 against a standard carbed 362, & the 562 was quite a bit faster in 24in Cottonwood with both saws using 24in bars. By quite a bit faster I mean 6-7sec faster!

The ported 361 was stronger (and it should be) but not as noticeable next to the 562 XP as it is next to my stock MS 362s or well worn 036 Pro. If the 562 XP has as much room for enhancement as a MS 361 then it should be quite an animal if ported.

Ron

We took down a large blue gum Friday, rigged off all the limbs, half over a house and felled the stick. We had a newish but broken in 395xp and 576xp, an old 362 and my batteted 357xp. Four of us got stuck in the ringing and blocking up the stem which took over two hours.., I was using the 576xp and someone else used my 357 on small stuff. 576cuts alright but kept cutting out at idle. When we finished the rings and started noodling the 576 would just jam up with noodles and stop, then cut out. I got bored of that and started using my 357, no problem!

357 is the best 60cc saw I've ever used, and on Friday was a far better saw than a 576xp or ms362, also prefer it to my old but good running 262xp

Think I will have to get a ported top end for it, thought about a 562 but it's just too bloody ugly :)

60cc saws with dedicated chassis shows OEM's are once again taking this displacement seriously. A 60cc saw should not be a heavy poor power to weight saw sharing platforms with bigger cc saws. l give Husky kudos 4 making a dedicated 60cc platform making this class of saw a serious option for the pro user. Its made dolmar follow with dedicated 6100 chassis ect. A 555/560/562 feels more like a 50 cc saw than 60 cc saws of past. l am sure this investment has paid off for husky which is good for both OEM/consumer.

If I were only allowed 1 chainsaw.. It'd be the 562. I ran a monkeyed 562 @ a GTG, smooth as buttah. With the 357 being 56.5cc, why is it classified as 60 class?

The kid was 20 younger and strong physically, that's all it was, Ron. Not that much difference in the saws just a young bull and a old 'un.

If I were only allowed 1 chainsaw.. It'd be the 562. I ran a monkeyed 562 @ a GTG, smooth as buttah. With the 357 being 56.5cc, why is it classified as 60 class?

Good question - but the best answer likely is that it performed like one, despite being smaller - and it was too large to be regarded a 50cc saw.

A 60cc saw makes the best "one saw plan" for cutting firewood, IMO.
Thats why I have 5 of them!
I like them because if you go to a significantly bigger saw, it's going to be noticeably heavier, the 60cc saws in good tune may need a bit a lighter touch in large hardwoods, but they can do it, and still be small enough you can limb and carry them more than 50 yards at a time

@SawTroll So.. what class saw would my 77cc Husky 61 fall into?

The kid was 20 younger and strong physically, that's all it was, Ron. Not that much difference in the saws just a young bull and a old 'un.

He certainly is able to offset to a large extent my experience with his strength and agility, but that was not the point. The point is as you stated - "Not that much difference in the saws". We weren't racing and I took the time to watch him cut. That Husky was a fine cutting machine and I noted as someone else reported in another 562 XP thread, it cut best when he let it do the cutting.

Ron

Back