562XP Durability

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alpendave

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Going to buy a new firewood saw soon and am leaning toward the 562XP. But I’ve read a few reviews complaining that it doesn’t last very long and that people are going to Stihl. I had a MS362 that started giving me trouble and I don’t want another Stihl. Any thoughts? Are the durability issues just something that you can expect from a few people, or do these saws really burn themselves out despite taking good care of them?

From what I have read and seen, in extreme conditions (daily use for months on end) the 562 will not last as long as a 365/372 but it is still a very solid saw and will last a firewood cutter almost indefinitely.

Only reason I sold my 562 was because I have a ported 550 that would run right with it and weighed 2 lbs less.

I did not care for the Stihl 362 in stock form. Not as nimble and less power

The Makita 6100 is a solid saw. More torque but heavier, bulkier and less "revvy" than a 562. Some guys prefer the 6100 and some prefer the 562. You would want to try both and decide for yourself.

If buying the 562 make sure the manufacture date is after when all the kinks were worked out. There are still a few duds in boxes out there.
Another good option would be the makita 6400. It's a solid build, plus if you ever need a larger saw you'll have the option of upgrading the top end to the 7900 without the cost of buying a complete new saw. Some just buy the 7900 because the specs say they're the same weight.

If buying the 562 make sure the manufacture date is after when all the kinks were worked out. There are still a few duds in boxes out there.
Another good option would be the makita 6400. It's a solid build, plus if you ever need a larger saw you'll have the option of upgrading the top end to the 7900 without the cost of buying a complete new saw. Some just buy the 7900 because the specs say they're the same weight.
If it's a "dud" wouldn't the dealer be obligated to perform all service bulletins prior to selling the saw?

Bought one in 2012 for my tree service. We have absolutely abused it... to date the only thing I've replaced on it is 3 or 4 rim sprockets... for me it's been one of the most reliable saws we've ever used...

I work on the saws for a logging crew....a mixture of hardwod firewood, tree length stud wood and saw logs isa the steady diet. They have numerous 562s....all stock...the saw receive no care at all....thrown in the back of the truck at the end of the day with the rest of the junk. These guys cut an outstanding amount of wood year in year out. Saws are only tools if they don't go they get replaced with another new one. They are darn zippy saws that are pretty low weight which is why they use them....time is money...and if you produce $2,000.00 worth of wood in a day the cost of a $750.00 saw is not much of an issue. I am certainly no expert of the 562 but have been doing repair and following along since they came out and as said they did have quite a few problems in the beginning which I believe have been addressed in the later versions. None of the 562s I work on are more than 2 years old....I had 4 in the shop...fixed one....had to order a piston for one because the locating pin got away and ruined the P&C....declared number three DOA and used the cyl on saw #2......the reason for #3 demise was the main bearing cages are plastic and one failed causing a binding situation in that bearing. Saw number 4 was DOA to start with and just a parts saw and its clutch went on saw # 1. This all sound rather dismal but these saw have already cut more wood than most folks will cut in their lives...under the very worst abuse and neglect you could imagine. I think if a man had a 562 and used it under normal conditions and maintenance it would last for a long while.

Good friend with busy tree service replaced his 372's with 562's, go to saw after T540's. Just traded 2 in for 2 new ones. Never had an issue with 2 2015's el48 carbed saws. I own 2, one ported el46 carb and a new 2017 build. Not had a problem with that 2013. Asked local Husqvarna tech what he thought before I bought another, bugs are gone.

Thanks for all the replies. No Makita dealers anywhere around here. I thought about the 6100, but I’m not going buy one from Home Depot. I only cut about 4-6 cords per year (more if I’m doing charity firewood).

I’ve owned a 562 for 3 years now and would most likely buy another 562 if something happened to this one. At 4-6 cords per year you will never wear out a 562 !

The family saw we use on our lot is a 562xp. I maintain it and we haven't had an issue, though it is a latter model. I like my personal cs620 better though

I always liked Echo saws and have a smaller CS-360T that's awesome for trimming and smaller stuff. Nice and light for one hand cuts if necessary. I did the muffler mod and carb adjustment recommended by the AS community and the little thing runs like a bandit. Comparing the 562XP with your CS-620 I see that they're almost identical except the 620 is .5 lb heavier. Looks like a great buy at $550, I paid $650 for my 562 when I bought it in 2014 . What is it about the 620 that you like better?

I always liked Echo saws and have a smaller CS-360T that's awesome for trimming and smaller stuff. Nice and light for one hand cuts if necessary. Comparing the 562XP with your CS-620 I see that they're almost identical except the 620 is .5 lb heavier. Looks like a great buy at $550, I paid $650 for my 562 when I bought it in 2014 . What is it about the 620 that you like better?
Also, the cs620 pulls a bigger bar better stock for stock and is easier to get more power out of. It's one hell of a deal.

Definitely a better price. I'll have to take your word on the "pulls a bigger bar better". How did you determine that? The only thing I don't like about the 562 is that I can't get my boot toe in the throttle plate opening to hold the saw down when I start it. A minor thing that wouldn't prevent me from buying it again or recommending it. A 5 star saw in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back