562XP Durability

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Landrum ported 562 would be the last saw I would get rid of if I had to get rid of my saws. Had it for four years now and no issue's whatsoever. Just a firewood saw but I've cut probably 30 cord with it. Granted it's not stock Terry did his magic on this saw and you probably would work hard to find a 70cc saw that would cut with it.

Definitely a better price. I'll have to take your word on the "pulls a bigger bar better". How did you determine that? The only thing I don't like about the 562 is that I can't get my boot toe in the throttle plate opening to hold the saw down when I start it. A minor thing that wouldn't prevent me from buying it again or recommending it. A 5 star saw in my opinion.
Fairly easy. Whe the 620 was maybe three tanks of fuel in I did a 26" oak with both saws. There really isn't much difference between the two on stuff you'd use a 20" bar for, and that's what we keep on the Husky. Put a 24" on it for this job, so both had the same length bar, same Stihl chain. Didn't see a difference until the bar was buried completely. Not that the xp couldn't handle it or an even longer bar, it just didn't move that chain like the cs. The cs really didn't show much difference between a cut in 18" or 26", other then having to hit it from the other side to complete the cut. I'd have no worries going 28" or 30" on the cs, especially now that it's got some stuff done to it. You just have to be OK with pulling those limiter caps from the get go.

Ahh, you did some modifications to the CS. Yes, that's what I did with my 360T. Echo does restrict their saws quite a bit so I can see why you would say the 620 pulls a longer bar faster (after the mod). I can rest now and let my brain stop analyzing your comment. However bowtechmadman's comment above about his ported 562 has me thinking.... :)

The Husky has no intention of being a torquemonster. It’s a midsize Husky after all.

Throttle response and handling is what they’re about.

So what if the Echo, by one account, may pull a longer bar slightly better. There’s probably a bunch of 60cc saws that will do the same. The Husky does not even care about that...

Nor do a lot of sawhands that work in the forestry industry. For the most part, they are into good handling, revvy saws in that class. With parts readily available and stuff.

Now if we’re talking firewood, that may be different.

Ps, I didn’t even mention antivibe, or heated options (which is pretty much required in Canada as an option)

Ahh, you did some modifications to the CS. Yes, that's what I did with my 360T. Echo does restrict their saws quite a bit so I can see why you would say the 620 pulls a longer bar faster (after the mod). I can rest now and let my brain stop analyzing your comment. However bowtechmadman's comment above about his ported 562 has me thinking.... :)
Before any mods..... Then I started the mods

The Husky is a tad lighter, nothing that bothers me. My other go to saw (and still my favorite) is my 288xp with mods so keep that in mind, between that and strength sports I've been accused of a way off perception of weight. The Husky is physically smaller, neither seem to effect its handling in the slightest. I prefer felling with the echo over either the 288 or 562. Everything under 16" wood I start to like the 562 more, but for my personal saws I want two that can do everything with some overlap, so the cs fit the bill better.

All of the "electronic carb" saws(Stihl included) had some "kinks" when they first came out. I prefer the 562, as I have one. I did have a 362 Stihl that gave me about an hour before taking a crap. The Husky is still running great. But, you can get a good or bad one in regards to everything mechanical.

And the electronic carb is exactly why the 562 is the family saw. I fix everything pretty much, especially the saws so it saves me on that account. As far as echo finally stepping up to the plate and making a great pro saw tops in its class in power, that's a win for everyone. Competition breeds improvements, one more competitor in the batch is awesome. As far as the dudes being brand specific to a fault, sucks for you. I buy the best thing that is out when I need it. I own 3 makes of saws, every make of power tool, 2 different makes of welder and 3 brands of vehicle. I can bet you every thing I own is or was tops in at least one thing and that one thing is why I got it. Manufacturers are not paying me to be loyal.

I buy what I believe is the most value for my money. It might not be the absolute best, but it's the best I can afford. I own Husqvarna, echo, Dolmar and Stihl. Not one bit brand loyal.
And the electronic carb is exactly why the 562 is the family saw. I fix everything pretty much, especially the saws so it saves me on that account. As far as echo finally stepping up to the plate and making a great pro saw tops in its class in power, that's a win for everyone. Competition breeds improvements, one more competitor in the batch is awesome. As far as the dudes being brand specific to a fault, sucks for you. I buy the best thing that is out when I need it. I own 3 makes of saws, every make of power tool, 2 different makes of welder and 3 brands of vehicle. I can bet you every thing I own is or was tops in at least one thing and that one thing is why I got it. Manufacturers are not paying me to be loyal.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I buy what I believe is the most value for my money. It might not be the absolute best, but it's the best I can afford. I own Husqvarna, echo, Dolmar and Stihl. Not one bit brand loyal.

Well,. I may be slightly partial to Husqvarna.

[QUOTE="ammoaddict, I buy what I believe is the most value for my money. It might not be the absolute best, but it's the best I can afford.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE="Big Red Oaks 4 me, you can get a good or bad one in regards to everything mechanical.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE="SmellyPirateHooker, Competition breeds improvements, one more competitor in the batch is awesome. As far as the dudes being brand specific to a fault, sucks for you. [/QUOTE]

To the OP, there you have it. I couldn't agree with these comments more. Do your research, buy what's best for you and your circumstances with the best quality you can afford, don't get caught up in the "I only buy brand X"

I have the "Jonny" version of the 562xp and all I can say is FANTASTIC!! (Jonsered 2260)

I've been sawing out some logs for my BSM and took this pine out today,

standard.jpg

and skidded it to the landing,

standard.jpg

And off to the BSM it goes!

standard.jpg

SR

I cant answer yet as to the durability, but I can tell you this much: doing a rebuild on one is a royal PITA! I just got most of the top end done this eve and these things are TIGHT and tough to work on! Ive got 4 of them that need building and unless this first one is a real screamer, I seriously doubt if I fool with fixing the rest of them! It took me over 30 minutes just to switch a fuel tank.

Well curiosity got the best of me and I just had to see if it would even start after reading all the stuff about software updates, keeping coils with carbs, etc.... so even though it doesn't have an air filter or chain brake/clutch cover assembly, I fired it up today. 3rd real pull with the choke on and it popped over, choke off and the 2nd pull it came to life. I didn't run it over 10 seconds at most but it is ALIVE at least! Parts will be here mid week so then I will see what all this 562 hype is about!

I cut with my 562 today, and it did great! I did notice something that may or may not be an issue. When doing a "yo-yo" drop test after using it, it does slowly drop, slowing down to an almost stop on the compression stroke, but then resuming the drop slowly all the way. Some of my saws don't drop at all, but some do. I was going to put my comp tester on it, but don't have an adapter for such a small plug. It cranks with the decomp button in or out, so probably not an issue, but I had a similar experience with a Stihl 362, and when it crapped-out, it crapped on me, because I only got about an hour of use on that one. Perhaps I'm "gun shy" on the comp thing. I guess it may need to go to a shop for a diagnostic check-up, for peace of mind..o_O

Yup. Hours is the lingo. Not “years”.

Exactly.
I was kind of in the same situation before. I need a saw, but don't really have a lot of sawing to do.
So I started searching... I need (want :D) something that's reliable, strong, has all the latest cool stuff you could think of, without a doubt it should be pro otherwise might be hard to get parts etc. etc.
Always end up with something that's way over the top for my needs. (A 2015 562XPG in this case)

So I also started to look into how long does a saw actually last.
And I found numbers in the thousands of hours for pro saws (If well maintained, and not having bad luck).
Whether you're a homeowner or a pro, either way this is just a non-issue I think.
A pro has the saw paying for itself in a few days/weeks. A homeowner cutting some firewood for a day (where the actual run time of the saw is maybe 1 hour) could use the thing for a thousand days.
A logger stating "The thing crapped out after just 2 years" means the homeowner would most likely never live to see that, and the pro losing the money of the saw + some down time which is maybe 0.1% of the company's revenue.

Of course it sucks when something is expected to last X amount of time, but sometimes, it just doesn't for whatever reason.
Buying a Stihl doesn't guarantee it would've lasted another 1000 hours, nor the other way around after a Stihl fails.

Latest posts

Back