562XP Recall Update

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK boys, here's what I have learned.

Quality control identified a piston/cylinder defect, (vendor issue), on saws in a certain serial number range. We're only talking less than 200 saws that they are certain of. But the only way to be sure that the problem is confined to that number sequence is to call them all back to be certain everything is OK before releasing them. While this is being done, they are air freighting in more saws so they can FINALLY start selling the dopey things.

It's not electronic, and it's not EPA related.

But, ya still gotta laugh at the whole thing. :laugh:

Finally a clear answer! We're all huddled around here scheming up all kinds of crazy ideas based on this that and the other thing.

Quality control identified a piston/cylinder defect, (vendor issue), on saws in a certain serial number range. We're only talking less than 200 saws that they are certain of. But the only way to be sure that the problem is confined to that number sequence is to call them all back to be certain everything is OK before releasing them. While this is being done, they are air freighting in more saws so they can FINALLY start selling the dopey things.

OK, so Gilardoni is to blame then! :laugh: :laugh:

This would explain the latest postponement of the 560xp/xpg here as well as the call-back in the US - so it makes a lot more sence than the other rumors! :yourock:

I have been informed that the ones that ordered the saws early (that includes me), soon will get their saws - but it will take some time before new orders are effectuated.....

The saws obviously are in high demand! :msp_biggrin:

Well hopefully this will get worked out soon. It seems like the release of them has been a year in waiting.

More like a year and a half.

Honestly, it's taken so long that I've burned out on the hype/excitement deal. Going in and checking the ship dates every day, and then when they get close, they flip out another two or three weeks. It happened once too many times and I just said, "OK, I've had enough of this crap and I don't even want to think about it any more". When they get here, they get here.

Ever been in a restaurant where it takes so long for the food to come out, that you get up and leave? That's what this reminds me of.

I was set to buy one if they had come out a few weeks ago. I got over the urge now.

:msp_laugh::laugh: Who really cares about the paint anyway? :msp_smile:

Until I know the details regarding the weight differences between the orange and silver paint, I will hunt down the answer like Steven Segal hunting the killer of his family.

:popcorn:

Yeah, I was ready to pull the trigger, but I got over it.

I got enough saws anyway.

My interest is tempered until I see a 560. A 562 is a little lighter and more powerful than a 262, but nothing that isn't tempered by the extra $700 I will keep in my pocket. The 036 is very close in weight and can be made to perform as well or better than a 562, and again, I get to keep my money. Maybe I will find one in a year or two when the new sheen has worn off.

My interest is tempered until I see a 560. A 562 is a little lighter and more powerful than a 262, but nothing that isn't tempered by the extra $700 I will keep in my pocket. The 036 is very close in weight and can be made to perform as well or better than a 562, and again, I get to keep my money. Maybe I will find one in a year or two when the new sheen has worn off.

Yeah, I was wantin a 560 more so than the 562.

A muff modded 555 might do just fine???

I'm really likin my ported 357xp right now though...in that size range that is.

Yeah, I was wantin a 560 more so than the 562.

A muff modded 555 might do just fine???

I'm really likin my ported 357xp right now though...in that size range that is.

Don, I am SO impressed by the 555. I took down a good 20" poplar like nothin. Bucking, it went thru it like warm butter. fuel mileage is awesome. Its just one helluva good saw man.
But i certainly see your point about your ported 357XP.

Don, I am SO impressed by the 555. I took down a good 20" poplar like nothin. Bucking, it went thru it like warm butter. fuel mileage is awesome. Its just one helluva good saw man.
But i certainly see your point about your ported 357XP.

Paul, I'm goin to look hard at the 555.

Yes, the ported 357 has been impressive lately...

How much is this going to cost them? Paying freight back on all the saws that have hit the US, good lord what a screw up, huge hit to profitability, some one in quality control needs to be seeking new employment. Dealers have waited long enough to have this on the shelf. Just think of all the freight, brokerage fees, customs, then the labor at european rates to have these saws gone over, their going to have to sell a **** load of these to cover development cost, and to cover all the cost with this recall. I hate to see it happen to this saw, Stihl needs the competition to keep them honest. Screw ups like this don't help investor confidence, in March the stock was trading at almost 59.00 now it is bumping around in the low 30.00's, analyst won't see this as a sign of confidence.
Don't take this as a reflection of quality, I think the XP's are as good as any saw on the market, Huskies management team needs to do a better job, they've been off track for awhile. This model role out could have been a huge positive, now it will never live up to what it could have been.

Screw ups like this don't help investor confidence, in March the stock was trading at almost 59.00 now it is bumping around in the low 30.00's, analyst won't see this as a sign of confidence.
Don't take this as a reflection of quality, I think the XP's are as good as any saw on the market, Huskies management team needs to do a better job, they've been off track for awhile. This model role out could have been a huge positive, now it will never live up to what it could have been.

Yeah, this reflects very poorly on management. If it is actually the coils that are the problem, it makes me suspect that mangement switched to a cheaper supplier at the last minute to bump margins on this model, otherwise the bad coils would have shown up testing prototypes in the field. That's what happens when you put business dorks in charge instead of engineers.

As far as Husqvarna's stock - this is definitely a good time to buy. Once the 555/560/562 production is up and running, we'll have 545/550 models next, and if 560 XP is any indication of what's to come it's going to rock. Stihl is about to get owned on power to weight ratios on 50-60 cc saws.

How much is this going to cost them? Paying freight back on all the saws that have hit the US, good lord what a screw up, huge hit to profitability, some one in quality control needs to be seeking new employment. Dealers have waited long enough to have this on the shelf. Just think of all the freight, brokerage fees, customs, then the labor at european rates to have these saws gone over, their going to have to sell a **** load of these to cover development cost, and to cover all the cost with this recall. I hate to see it happen to this saw, Stihl needs the competition to keep them honest. Screw ups like this don't help investor confidence, in March the stock was trading at almost 59.00 now it is bumping around in the low 30.00's, analyst won't see this as a sign of confidence.

Pump the brakes for a second...

It was reported that the recall stems from components supplied by another vendor.

Presumably, this is a vendor with an established track record. I can only imagine that while parts are inspected, you don' take a mitutoyo caliper and go ham on every single piston and cylinder you get from your established vendor who normally delivers flawless products.

Understand too that we have chosen to wait and wait and wait for this saw, and we've created a lot of the hype around it. Presumably if they gave less of a #### they could just leave the ones out in the field and let them blow up, and then wait for it to come back. They're doing the right thing here, though it will take more time. The fact that they're doing what's right and not freaking out about some freight expenses that may affect their initial bottom line on this saw is also a good thing. Lots of companies would not...

and we've created a lot of the hype around it.

99% of chainsaw owners in the world don't even know this saw exists. It's only we deranged few that even know it is coming.

I would venture a guess that a majority of dealers didn't even know about it until recently. Several have posted here that their dealer had never heard of a 555 or 562 even a few months ago.

So, the world is not ending, the saws will eventually come and I will do my absolute best not to buy a red and black one. :msp_rolleyes:

Yeah, this reflects very poorly on management. If it is actually the coils that are the problem, it makes me suspect that mangement switched to a cheaper supplier at the last minute to bump margins on this model, otherwise the bad coils would have shown up testing prototypes in the field. That's what happens when you put business dorks in charge instead of engineers.

As far as Husqvarna's stock - this is definitely a good time to buy. Once the 555/560/562 production is up and running, we'll have 545/550 models next, and if 560 XP is any indication of what's to come it's going to rock. Stihl is about to get owned on power to weight ratios on 50-60 cc saws.

I think we are all overestimating how much this will actually affect Husqvarna's bottom line. These saws are not going to boost up the stock much. And here's why:

Have you seen the graph of husqvarna's sales and where they come from?

L3Vb6.png

kdJ2N.png

The majority of the monies comes from tractors and walkbehind products, and the majority comes from retailers, not dealers.

Wonder why they sell at blowes?

These are from the corporate website for US sales.

I'm sure there's money to be made in pro saws but...this doesn't seem to be where the majority of the money comes from.

It may not reflect on sales much, but you can bet you hiney analyst will take notice on distro issues, it's what been the achilles heel in almost every release, it is another operational issue and reflects on management, after all the press releases on how this saw will impact the market, it is a big deal to analyst. Yes, another mfg made the parts that are suspect, what % of the saw is outsourced, prolly a huge percentage of it as with any saw. Quality control should have caught the issue, if they had it narrowed down to a specific serial number range, why the need to recall all the product. I have been involved in recalls as a retailer and as a supplier, they are very expensive to execute. You start counting every expense, freight,brokerage fees, insurance cost, administrative cost, labor, repackaging, repalleting, redistrobution,etc and you've got a six digit expense easy, a high six digit cost, it comes right off the bottom line. I won't be adding any Husky stock to my portfolio anytime soon, maybe saws to the stable, but not stock.

It may not reflect on sales much, but you can bet you hiney analyst will take notice on distro issues, it's what been the achilles heel in almost every release, it is another operational issue and reflects on management, after all the press releases on how this saw will impact the market, it is a big deal to analyst. Yes, another mfg made the parts that are suspect, what % of the saw is outsourced, prolly a huge percentage of it as with any saw. Quality control should have caught the issue, if they had it narrowed down to a specific serial number range, why the need to recall all the product. I have been involved in recalls as a retailer and as a supplier, they are very expensive to execute. You start counting every expense, freight,brokerage fees, insurance cost, administrative cost, labor, repackaging, repalleting, redistrobution,etc and you've got a six digit expense easy, a high six digit cost, it comes right off the bottom line. I won't be adding any Husky stock to my portfolio anytime soon, maybe saws to the stable, but not stock.

If it's an outside supplier issue you can be sure that they will be getting a chargeback that will certainly get their attention. That's the quality control that they will understand.

Latest posts

Back