56mag and 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciscoguy01

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was talking to my uncle at easter dinner a couple weeks ago and he said some things that about blew me over. When my FIL was talking about my 56 Mag, his brother piped up and said, "those damned 56's will outcut a damned 660 any day of the week..." Needless to say, I was like, ummmmmmm??? :confused: What the heck is he talking about? I've never touched a 660, although I would like to caress one gently while lying close to me in bed and ... OMG, did I just say that out loud?? Ummmmmm... Okay, so anyways, he said that he had a 660 he'd purchased about 3 yrs ago, said it was a huge disappointment compared to the older 56's... I'm ranting about this because I'm wondering the validity of his statement??? Is there ANY truth to that?? He a big ole' burly guy, and when I say big 6'2 300lbs burly with a can o' cope always goin' and a Stihl tree he made full of'em in his living room... Is it just the torque difference? Did he get a bad one??? I gotta get some input from ya'll on this...

:popcorn: :cheers:

This is by no means a bash on the 660, so if your gonna say it's junk, save it and go to the next husky thread that pops up eh? heheheheheheheheee

Yes, I'm serious... :chainsaw:

Oh, I wouldn't call it junk. 066 just won't compete with a 30 year old predecessor, is hundreds more than competitors, is less than pretty colors, and not the most obnoxious saw ever made. No, I wouldn't call it junk. :popcorn: :)

...and therein lies the question.. HP, RPM or Torque?? :greenchainsaw:

The 56M2 seems to have more torgue low down.... than my 066/660 (same in my case). It also vibrates more (a LOT more), has a POS airfilter, and is a "tad" heavier... but it's a very cool (old - but Manufacture date - April 2007!) ) machine ;)

Last edited:
I am not impressed with the new MS 660. The EPA has made itself felt.
The 056 is a good saw and thier does not seem to be a huge increase in power technology in the 066. But it is a faster revving and higher turning saw. Never forget that production is made in limbing and manufacturing. not in cuts at the stump.
Sounds to me that a good muffler mod, a little adjustment in technique and tuning the chain to match the saw might make him a lot happier with the 660.

I dunno.................................

..............but if someone wants to donate one of each I PROMISE to intiate a complete scientific study and post the results here.:chainsaw: :cheers:

Where you at Adkranger? The 056 I have is just a 87 cc Super, not the 93 cc Mag so you will have to factor that in when you write your Masters Thesis. And the other thing is, the 066 is am old Magnum, which is another problem.
But if you are willing.......

And the other thing is, the 066 is am old Magnum, which is another problem.
But if you are willing.......[/QUOTE]

The earlier 066 mag IS the strong one in that family, it's like the 056 magII of that bunch. I know there are a bunch of factors that can effect results, but I have 3 056 magII's and the one that I use most is always quicker than my buddy's 066mag DP. We mostly are cutting 18-36" hardwoods.

Its April first but anyway

Hoss;
I know the old 066 is good, just throwing gas on the fire..
I'd like to run a good 056 MagII. Is it the same as the 056 Mag? The only other 90 cc saw are some horizontal cylinder Stihls, 050/051. But the 056 Mag(II) seems to have a cult following.

I had a 056 magII A very nice saw! Way over gunned for the trees I cut.
I put that 056 against my SP105 in some really big river bed Poplar 30'' that's a big tree for here. Both saws running 32'' bars both with the same Square ground .404 chain. The mac was clearly faster but has a 10 cc edge, But the big Stihl was just nicer to use a bit smoother too.
The guy I sold my 056 to lives in B.C and cut's big wood and he really wanted my saw. One thing he said to me is it was a better saw than a new 660 and saved himself allot of money buying my saw.Plus he got a 20'' bar 9pin rim and some chains. Plus the big bar and some chains.

Where you at Adkranger? The 056 I have is just a 87 cc Super, not the 93 cc Mag so you will have to factor that in when you write your Masters Thesis. And the other thing is, the 066 is am old Magnum, which is another problem.
But if you are willing.......

I'm always willing to play with someone else's saws.....................:chainsawguy: :blob2: :hmm3grin2orange:

But in all seriousness I don't know anything 'bout "scientific" saw studies.......just know what feels good in the cut. We need someone to host an Eastern GTG.

Eastern GTG

Adkranger; I agree, driving to the Ohio GTG is bad if it gets postponed at the last minute.
A friend was working in a saw shop when the 056 came out,everyone loved the vert cylinder and RPMs.
He did maybe 8 saws a day for a pulp wood company.
I don't know the difference between the 056S and 056MII. My 056S is in the process of getting "tinware" as VW folks say. I bought a parts saw, so I still need parts. My old 066M is a good beast though. Pulls really well, so I'll wait for the comparo later. Where in NY, I head to Old Forge.

Adkranger; I agree, driving to the Ohio GTG is bad if it gets postponed at the last minute.
A friend was working in a saw shop when the 056 came out,everyone loved the vert cylinder and RPMs.
He did maybe 8 saws a day for a pulp wood company.
I don't know the difference between the 056S and 056MII. My 056S is in the process of getting "tinware" as VW folks say. I bought a parts saw, so I still need parts. My old 066M is a good beast though. Pulls really well, so I'll wait for the comparo later. Where in NY, I head to Old Forge.

The only ones I have any time on are the MIIs, may have run a Super once or twice.

I used to be further north and east of the Forge. I'm on the edge of the Finger Lakes area now, but have saw(s)..............will travel.:chainsawguy:

If GTG in fall I'd favor a Saturday in western PA that way I'd be able to hit a Steelers game the next day...............a two-fer if you will.:cheers:

Oh no not another one!

Oh No! Not another saw that I have to buy!:bang:

Oh. Wait a minute. Maybe I don't have to own every saw there is. Wow, what a revelation! I can enjoy them vicariously by readin' these threads. What a novel concept. LOL:blob2: :popcorn: :Eye: :Eye: :chainsawguy: :biggrinbounce2: :hmm3grin2orange:

Now let's see sum videos........

Back