572xp or MS500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlman0123

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking to pick up a new saw, want to have an in-between saw. Currently have a 272xp and a MS660. Been looking at the 500i but am nervous to drop 1300 dollars on a brand new technology saw. I've read some reviews on both the 572 and the 500i. I know there is more power in the 500i and it is lighter. Just curious if anyone on here has ran both of them? Looking for some in the field opinions to help me make up my mind.

I have both of them. Love them both. While I dont have much time on the ms500i, I do like how light it is, power and throttle response is great. The 572 i have more time with, its heavier, obviously has less cc's, but still has great throttle response with the auto tune. I'm sure others will tell you whichever saw fits in your budget. If I didn't rely on my saws for my firewood business, I wouldn't have bought the 500i. Long way to a short answer, depends on what you're cutting and how much you are cutting. Both are very reliable! Hope that helps!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The injector technology really isnt as new as the 500i is. They have been running it on some of their concrete saws for a few years now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

To me they're not too comparable. The MS500 is a big power (6.7hp) 79cc saw that will pull a 36" bar whereas the 572xp is a 71cc 5.8hp saw that will manage a 28" bar. The MS500 is close to your current bigger saw.

A Stihl MS462 would be lighter and more powerful than your 272XP. The 572XP would not be lighter.

Just to add some back story to this. I mainly cut hardwoods for myself for my outdoor boiler. I'm looking to up my production to see if I can sell some of the excess wood for a side business. Looking just for a good saw for felling and bucking up the wood. I do love my 660 but find that I just don't enjoy running it as much as I used to do to the weight and the vibration that thing seems to throw. Since I broke my hand 4 years ago I notice the vibration a lot more. I've always been more of a still guy but I am intrigued by husky. Thanks all for the quick responses. I guess I'm wanting a saw that will have longevity and won't give a ton of fits. I have looked at the 462's also. But I think I'm narrowed down to the 572 and the 500

Just to add some back story to this. I mainly cut hardwoods for myself for my outdoor boiler. I'm looking to up my production to see if I can sell some of the excess wood for a side business. Looking just for a good saw for felling and bucking up the wood. I do love my 660 but find that I just don't enjoy running it as much as I used to do to the weight and the vibration that thing seems to throw. Since I broke my hand 4 years ago I notice the vibration a lot more. I've always been more of a still guy but I am intrigued by husky. Thanks all for the quick responses. I guess I'm wanting a saw that will have longevity and won't give a ton of fits. I have looked at the 462's also. But I think I'm narrowed down to the 572 and the 500
I haven't run the 572 but my 500 is way more pleasant than my 661. The light weight power house not much of a drop in power but the light weight at almost 60 years old makes it my favorite saw. I've owned a 372xpw so I do have husky experience.

The 572XP is very well built with a sturdy bottom end and can be had for $850 at the right shop. However, it won't be able to hang with the MS500. The 572XP is no lightweight at 14.5 pounds and the MS500 has the advantage there too. You could make a case for either depending on what's important to you. Consider the ergonomics and warranty as well. I prefer the downward press kill switch on Husky and the fatter handles as I have larger hands. Also, you can get a five year warranty on a Husky but only a max of two on the Stihl.

If weight and vibration were a factor I'd probably want the new Stihl MS400 coming out this month. 67cc 14,000 rpm saw with vibration values you'd expect to see on a 50cc saw (front and rear handles are 3.5 m/s which is the same as a MS261). Weight is 12.8 pounds and it has 5.4 hp.

I have seen someone saw the 572 dynoed 7.2 hp. I would go with the lighter option though.
Exactly what I wanted to say (but I only read it somewhere). Do you perhaps know if the 500i was also dynoed on the same dyno?
No matter how you get the fuel in your cylinder, power output in a two stroke basicly is a matter of cc's times rpm times x where x can only be improved by finding the limits in the burn process (what you also do by porting) and prevent losses (very exact production).
There is no secret sauce. So I was also amazed by that 7.2 number.

I have seen someone saw the 572 dynoed 7.2 hp. I would go with the lighter option though.
That was on the first 572 he had, which turned out to be a ringer, it was messed with. So he got a fresh out of the box 572xp that was actually stock. The 462 and 500i both had more power than the 572xp. It went 500i, 462, 572xp and Echo CS-7310p, which were the exact same results I have from making timed cuts.

Just when and checked the numbers over there from a thread titled 70cc class dyno day.

Peak horsepower numbers from each saw out of 6 pulls

500i. 7.10 HP
462. 6.78 HP
572. 6.69 HP
7910. 6.47 HP
CS 7310p. 5.36 HP

I can tell you from owning all of them except the 7910, the power difference is noticeable in the hands.

I did run my old school 7900 against the 500i and it was essentially dead even, the 7910 has a different coil, and the muffler used was a cat muffler from a 6401, so it was restricted compared to my 7900.

@Andyshine77 thanks for clearing that up.
Do you have a link? I would have guessed the 572xp and 462 would be about the same.
At least the same capacity and intended use cases.

Thanks! I was wondering about those 7910 numbers. Don't have any of those other saws, but I do know it is in an other league than a 372xp.

Thanks! I was wondering about those 7910 numbers. Don't have any of those other saws, but I do know it is in an other league than a 372xp.
I would say a stock 372 Xtorque would run about the same as the Echo Power-wise, but with less weight. The Echo is not a light saw for the displacement, but again it has it's positives, crazy good build quality, it's simple as any saw I've seen, and has the best air filter setup on the market, not to mention inexpensive comparatively.

Back