5th annual Chainsaw Races at Chisago County Fair 7/22/17

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only reason I took muffler mod saws out of the stock class is so if some locals come and want to try they stand a chance at winning. It is hard to get new people into this game and if someone comes and tries this for there first time and wins they may see what we are about and get into it. Maybe then they would do some performance enhancements and come back next year. Now if there are no people with stock saw's showing up I'd be totally fine with letting muffler mods be in the stock class.
That being said, I have a couple of totally bone stock saw's and is it fair to these saw's to have to run against a saw that has had a muffler mod and compression increased by gasket removal? This can go either way. Unless we make even more classes to make it fair for everyone we are going to have people that think it is unfair. In the end it is all just for fun anyways. Last year I didn't win a single first place. Whatever, I still enjoyed myself. Except for the rain.

I have won a race or two with a bone stock 362. No muffler mod but it did have an 8 pin. I didn't win 1st place but I had fun.
I'm grateful for all the time and effort Andy and Sarah put into this event. I don't agree with some of the changes and will say so. I try to wait until asked and be respectful of their decision.
I'm bring some saws and, if they start, I will run them.

Does my Husky 137 that now has a non-cat Wild Thing muffler that I used a screwdriver to widen the opening a little bit more a "muffler modded" saw?
Bring what ya got and it will get sorted out. If you can't run in the class you want, you can have a grudge match.

Might get a few more folks attending if the very first post had the date-time corrected or maybe there is no way of correcting it ?

The only reason I took muffler mod saws out of the stock class is so if some locals come and want to try they stand a chance at winning. It is hard to get new people into this game and if someone comes and tries this for there first time and wins they may see what we are about and get into it. Maybe then they would do some performance enhancements and come back next year. Now if there are no people with stock saw's showing up I'd be totally fine with letting muffler mods be in the stock class.
That being said, I have a couple of totally bone stock saw's and is it fair to these saw's to have to run against a saw that has had a muffler mod and compression increased by gasket removal? This can go either way. Unless we make even more classes to make it fair for everyone we are going to have people that think it is unfair. In the end it is all just for fun anyways. Last year I didn't win a single first place. Whatever, I still enjoyed myself. Except for the rain.
Agree. A stock saw and a sharp chain great set up. Then it's all up to the operator after that

I don't have a dog in this fight, and I won't be able to attend, but I'm curious about not allowing muffler mods, but allowing race chains in the stock class. It seems to me that allowing race chains would take away any chance a beginner would have.

I certainly mean no disrespect. Just trying to be helpful. I definitely understand wanting to make the races more accessible to new folks, hence my question.

I don't have a dog in this fight, and I won't be able to attend, but I'm curious about not allowing muffler mods, but allowing race chains in the stock class. It seems to me that allowing race chains would take away any chance a beginner would have.

I certainly mean no disrespect. Just trying to be helpful. I definitely understand wanting to make the races more accessible to new folks, hence my question.
It's a bad idea and it was mine. My original concern was, what is and is not a race chain? After more thought, I remembered, it's just for fun. Each racer should let his conscience guide what chain he uses.

Just my 2 cents, I agree with @old guy. Forcing muffler modded but otherwise stock saws to compete against woods ported saws is about as sporting as it was to race a woods ported saw against a full race saw.

Last year I won the 50 cc "stock" class and got second in the 60 cc "stock" class with bone stock saws so it seemed the old methodology worked fine. Others definitely had muffler modded saws in those classes.

And no offense, but you changed the classifications 5 days before the event, which means the people who were prepping under the old rules are now out. I don't stock extra mufflers for my saws to return them to bone stock so I may as well leave them at home if I'm forced to run them against ported saws.

Well my opinion on chains coming from a person that does tree work on a daily basis is any chain should be able to run.
I sharpen different chains for different types of jobs or trees so that's makes every chain I use not stock. Some are pretty aggressive in soft wood and dangerous in hard wood. Some bore cut better than others. Everyone sharpens a chain different if they sharpen and maintain there own saw so technically they are never a stock chain once the have been sharpened

Good god people, respect what the race makers have set. I don't agree with all of it, hell I probably only can run 2 Saws since no other unlimited saws around but it is what it is. Andy and Sarah have put a lot of time into this event over the past 5 years. Believe it or not they are trying to better it. I know there is people sneaking timing advanced gasket deleted saws into stock class which is not stock at all. If you don't like the rules then set up your own county fair race and do all the work to get it going. Thank you Andy and Sarah for this event as I look forward to it each year. As Always I'm available to help whenever.

Again, the rules are not set in stone. We may modify them if no locals with bone stock saw's show up. Bring whatever you want to bring and leave whatever you want to leave at home. They are just chainsaws. I think you should bring all of your saws and just call out on people that have a saw that you want to go head to head with. I am not going to be bringing many with this year. I have not done ANY prep to any of my saw's. I may have time to sharpen a chain but I might not. I'll still race. It's about having fun and I enjoy providing some entertainment for the spectators. So bring all your stuff with and we can sort crap out.

I am still alive. I have not been on here in a long time. Friday, July 22 at about 4 pm we will be having our 5th year of Chainsaw Racing at the Chisago County Fair. It is always a good time and everyone is invited to come and play. We have classes for stock, woods ported, and new this year will be an additional unlimited class. Might try a few different things to keep everyone on their toes. If you can make it great, if you can let me know, even better. Thanks

If you look at the first posting on this thread you will notice I said "Might try a few different things to keep everyone on their toes." When I posted this at the beginning I had several people like my post. Now you are not liking it? Yes, the changes were just announced. Isn't that keeping you on your toes? Feel free to keep your opinions coming, I'd be glad to hear them. I am just trying to keep things interesting and fun for people and saw's of all skill levels.

Andy (and Sarah), In no way do I want this or my previous posts to sound disrespectful as I consider the two of you as some of the finest people in the chainsaw world.

With that being said, materially changing the classes just days before the race puts folks who have been prepping under the old rules at a serious disadvantage. I have 6 muffler modded but otherwise stock saws that at this point have no prayer of being competitive against woods ported saws from the best saw builders in the business.

Regarding race chains, I don't really think it makes much of a difference until you get into the open division. I saw lots of winners at last year's event running round ground chain. Response time and technique goes a long way.

Finally although the intent of the changes was to make things more fair, in reality unless you have one of the two or three top saw models in a class you really don't have a chance anyhow unless someone's saw won't start or they bog in the cut. IE the 50 cc class is almost certainly going to be won by a 550, 261, or Dolmar 51xx. If you show up with a 350 that has muffler mod, base gasket delete, and timing advanced you are still going to get spanked by a bone stock 550.

In the end it's your event and I'll respect any decision you make.

Latest posts

Back