60-70cc Stihl,Husky, or Dolmar???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
all really great suggestions in this thread. i would make a list of these saws and get on youtube and watch some builders saws to see "porting potential". Mastermind, blsnelling, and stumpy customs all have you tube pages and there are videos on all forementioned models. I would throw a 365xt into the mix for consideration. A brand new one can be shipped to your door for $550 plus tax. I was considering that model but within the last two weeks bought a 562xpw, a mint used 359, and a brand new 359 from a local dealer. First two are sitting in Mastermind's shop and the new 359 is heading that way on Monday for the "Mastermind 562/359 build thread". Have you checked our Nmurphs 362 for sale in the classifieds? Look at Woodyman100's ported 359 video on youtube :dizzy: (that's what put me on to the 359). Best wishes hunting the new member of your family.:rock:

You bring up a good idea! Why didn't I think of that??

I saw a 359 on cl for $300 with a case only a coulpe tanks through it. Had a green gas cap on it. Wouldn't that mean cat muff?? more trouble to open up????

Id check that saw out.

Hi F.W.P.T.
If it were me I would buy a MS460R, You will smile each time you use it and if taken care of properly you will still be smiling 30 or 40 years from now when you use it.
Safe cutting with what ever you settle on.

365XT. See if someone has older stock and you can get a great deal. Same saw as the 372XTXP with a mild modificiation.

Runs like a beast stock. Downside it's a 70CC weight saw. After using it for while though and having it tuned properly the weight doesn't bother me as it cuts so well the saw pulls through on it's own weight and with a 28" bar no bending over for limbing.

I got the ok to grab a new saw. Been researching and reading for a while. Found decent Stihl, Husky, and Dolmar dealers within a 20 min drive from where I live. Already have an awesome limbing saw(42special ported of course). Looking for something in the 60-70cc range for felling and bucking a couple dozen trees each yr. Pro saws only and be able to handle a 24" b&c but mostly run a 20" b&c. After it gets a few scratches and battle wounds and the new saw scent wears off, it will get ported for the smile and fun factor:rock:! I'm looking for the "Goldie Locks" saw. Not too heavy, Not too slow, and Not too thirsty(even after porting). Sounds like I'm describing a 562xp but I'm not a big fan of newer technology that really hasn't been around for too long.

I need your help to decide what to buy for a decent felling/bucking saw.:msp_confused:

If you don't want the 562xp, this "sounds" like a 70cc saw to me = 372xp.

First, I'm very jealous. My chainsaw purchasing priveleges have been revoked by she who must be obeyed. It sounds like you're in a no lose situation. I love things feeling "new" so I'd get a big saw (441, 372), run it for a year, then MM when it loses that "light saber" feeling, run it for another year and then off to Randy, Brad, Jasha, Terry, Stumpy, Monkey, Dennis..................

My 359 would not do what you want without modification. If you started with a ported saw, then in a year you'd want another saw......

Never mind

Three-Seven-Two-X-Pee

:msp_w00t::chainsaw::greenchainsaw:

attachment.php

View attachment 275518

I've gotta say it. 576 XP AT. Not the latest version of at as on the 562 and other more recent releases.

But it works well and has heaps of grunt. I use mine in big Aus hardwood and it cuts well. Doesn't even notice when you put it through a knot or fork, the chips keep flying.

And it's 10cc bigger than the 562 if you do start modding.

372xp is proven technology, and if you like torque, a little extra displacement is just the ticket.

Even the xt version is obviously the best choise in the 70cc class at the moment, as the options all are just too heavy and bulky - and if he dismiss the 562xp because of new technology, he likely will dismiss what Husky more or less is about to replace both the 372xp and 576xp anyway....

Even the xt version is obviously the best choise in the 70cc class at the moment, as the options all are just too heavy and bulky - and if he dismiss the 562xp because of new technology, he likely will dismiss what Husky more or less is about to replace both the 372xp and 576xp anyway....

I like the original better for possible modding later... The xt is ok...
But not the same...

After much research the 365 xt was the one for me....

365XT. See if someone has older stock and you can get a great deal. Same saw as the 372XTXP with a mild modificiation.

Runs like a beast stock. Downside it's a 70CC weight saw. After using it for while though and having it tuned properly the weight doesn't bother me as it cuts so well the saw pulls through on it's own weight and with a 28" bar no bending over for limbing.

I too needed a 60cc or better saw round Thanksgiving. I bought a NEW 365XT for $565 on internet through a verified Husky dealer. No tax no shipping to boot.. She runs a 28" no problem. Great saw especially for the price. It is a 70 CC saw that can up graded to the 372xp as the same engine parts fit.

I'd make love to that saw if I wasn't so afraid I'd cut my *$@^$% off ! :laugh:

My first choice would be a Dolmar my second in the 60cc range I would take a hard look at the echo 600. All the brands in a 60cc+ pro saw will be good.

What you don't know is the 576 AT is more saw in every way.

Since the plan is to spend money on a port job for the saw, I'd say just pull the trigger on a 7900 or 7910 and get it over with.

1.The Echo 600p really impressed me after porting.
2.70cc is my cut off point.
3.372xp is almost perfect.... with dual dogs but hate the high top looks like the elephant man's head.
4.just looked at 365xt locally.. $739 and only 1 tiny dog.
5.Can't find any new ms440's around here

Keep em coming! You all make great recommendations!

Last edited:
1.The Echo 600p really impressed me after porting.
2.70cc is my cut off point.
3.372xp is almost perfect.... with dual dogs but hate the high top looks like the elephant man's head.
4.just looked at 365xt locally.. $739 and only 1 tiny dog.

Keep em coming! You all make great recommendations!

That may just be, but a Dolmar 79cc is the same size and weight as most others 70cc and by the time you factor in a port job will most likely be less expensive to boot!

Back