60-70cc Stihl,Husky, or Dolmar???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the sexy version of the 372, the 2171 with a big bore kit= 76cc ! that saw just sings sweet music!!!!:msp_biggrin:

That may just be, but a Dolmar 79cc is the same size and weight as most others 70cc and by the time you factor in a port job will most likely be less expensive to boot!

Good point!

I know the pros can do it better but I'm a hands on do-it-yourself kinda guy. Most likely I'd port it myself unless I could find some kind of package deal from one of the sponsors here.

If you like the 372 except for the high top, you could look at the 2172 which would basically be a low top 372 but better looking. I currently have a ported 365xt, a 2171 and a 440 and I am happy with all 3 models. If I could find a 7300 and had some more big wood to cut, I would like to try that model also.

1.The Echo 600p really impressed me after porting.
2.70cc is my cut off point.
3.372xp is almost perfect.... with dual dogs but hate the high top looks like the elephant man's head.
4.just looked at 365xt locally.. $739 and only 1 tiny dog.
5.Can't find any new ms440's around here

Keep em coming! You all make great recommendations!

The 365XT you see on the Husquvarna website is the new pricing. I bought mine for $630 from a local dealer with a 24" and two chains. Turned it into a 372 and did a MM to it. It is a seriously good running saw. As another poster said you can get it for $550-600. Check with some of the dealers on here. I've heard Spike60's name mentioned but not with pricing. Just heard he gives fair pricing to AS members. Wish I'd have checked with him but my dealer was good to me.

The xtra dog is only about $15.00 and then you can use more inches of your bar in the wood instead of losing it to dogs. Just a thought. Not sure why some like the ginormous dogs other than they look cool.

As you may have noticed it has the low top filter also which some others have told me the 372 sports in some other areas of the world.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Buying a new saw is like bringing home a new girlfriend:hmm3grin2orange::chainsawguy:

:cheers:

If you like the 372 except for the high top, you could look at the 2172 which would basically be a low top 372 but better looking. I currently have a ported 365xt, a 2171 and a 440 and I am happy with all 3 models. If I could find a 7300 and had some more big wood to cut, I would like to try that model also.

The 372xp saws allways are low tops here, unless you buy the optional high top parts - that for most conditions only add bulk and weight for no good reason. It is a bit sad that Husky made the high top standard in the US, as I believe most users would be better off without it....:popcorn:

1.The Echo 600p really impressed me after porting.
2.70cc is my cut off point.
3.372xp is almost perfect.... with dual dogs but hate the high top looks like the elephant man's head.
4.just looked at 365xt locally.. $739 and only 1 tiny dog.
5.Can't find any new ms440's around here

Keep em coming! You all make great recommendations!

I pm'd you and told u can seriously beat that price and have the conversion done in 'one stop shopping' mode.:msp_wink:

The 372xp saws allways are low tops here, unless you buy the optional high top parts - that for most conditions only add bulk and weight for no good reason. It is a bit sad that Husky made the high top standard in the US, as I believe most users would be better off without it....:popcorn:

I think that high top is what makes my 372xp the sexiest beast in the woods and the damn thing sounds like a hot rod snowmobile when it is idling

I pm'd you and told u can seriously beat that price and have the conversion done in 'one stop shopping' mode.:msp_wink:

And I appreciate your advise fellow chainsaw enthusiast! But that doesn't mean the show's over yet. I like to weigh all options and ponder the many possibilities. I have a tendency to over-think my next step. It's like a battle in my skull that never ends. Either way I usually win. But seriously thanks!

As for the 7900, 576xp, and ms460r recommendations: those are top notch saws but seem a bit pricey and a little much for what I need. I know in most cases bigger is better but I have to draw the line somewhere. An old timer friend of mine always says"Go big or go home!" Tough to argue against that but if I didn't draw the line, I'd end up with one of DC's 250cc hotsaws!hahaha

I have a new 365xt it wood not stay with my dolmar 6400; I mm,set the squish @ .020 and cut the baffels out of transfers. It is better than the 6400 but not a 7900.I have not ran any Stihl saws but would like to.
Good luck . they are all good saws it is just personal preference. Steve

I have a new 365xt it wood not stay with my dolmar 6400; I mm,set the squish @ .020 and cut the baffels out of transfers. It is better than the 6400 but not a 7900.I have not ran any Stihl saws but would like to.
Good luck . they are all good saws it is just personal preference. Steve

Did 365xt hang with the 6400 stock? Did you open up the intake and ex ports?

I'm not ruling anything out yet, but looks like a 365xt might be in my future.

On a side note, I ran my brother's 460Rancher today with the 24" bar burried in oak today. It was the first two tanks ran through it. Took quite a while each cut but it did what it was supposed to do. I need more power than that thing has. It was kinda smooth though (maybe because of wearing big puffy ski gloves)!

Them dogs bite !

The 365XT you see on the Husquvarna website is the new pricing. I bought mine for $630 from a local dealer with a 24" and two chains. Turned it into a 372 and did a MM to it. It is a seriously good running saw. As another poster said you can get it for $550-600. Check with some of the dealers on here. I've heard Spike60's name mentioned but not with pricing. Just heard he gives fair pricing to AS members. Wish I'd have checked with him but my dealer was good to me.

The xtra dog is only about $15.00 and then you can use more inches of your bar in the wood instead of losing it to dogs. Just a thought. Not sure why some like the ginormous dogs other than they look cool.

As you may have noticed it has the low top filter also which some others have told me the 372 sports in some other areas of the world.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Buying a new saw is like bringing home a new girlfriend:hmm3grin2orange::chainsawguy:

:cheers:

I wondered the same thing too, I hated the look of the big aftermarket dogs. Bought a pair of 4 paw dogs (still mildly big) from Bailiey's for $15 bucks and the larger dogs help with western pines and firs as the xtra thick brittle bark (2-3" thick) tends to break and not hold well with the shallower dogs. Made a huge improvement on getting a good bite and gripping for me.

As far as buying a saw is like bringing home a new girlfriend...I agree ! ... and once you get her home, modding her out is like getting to do all the piercings, tattoo's, lingerie, body enhancements to her you want or can afford .... the difference is she doesn't complain along the way... And, you can take her home to mama when she's all tricked out...:msp_thumbsup:

Back