Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nkila220

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Alright everyone, lets talk about Echos. Im really liking the cs590, cs600p, and cs620p. Now what exactly are the difference between the 3? Carb? ignition timing? etc. Also if anyone has the horsepower ratings for them that would be great as i cant seem to find them. Im thinking about getting one of these in favor of a stihl ms362 or husqvarna 562xp and 555. They seem to have top notch build quality all while having simplicity and reliability. Plus from videos it looks like they can run right up there with the comparable stihls and huskys, all for a better price and 5 year warranty. So i just want to see what everyone's opinion is on these 3 saws and which one i should consider buying if i go the echo route. Thanks!

Do a search, there are several good threads on those saws. I own a CS-590 and 600P. Got them WAY under retail on Ebay, new in the box.

Both are very strong runners, and all stock aside from removing the limiter caps to give them a little fuel and I ground out the inner portion of the deflector/guide on the muffler as it's just a tad restrictive. The muffler itself is very well designed and I really see no need to modify it in any way.

I also did some time cutting/testing between my Husqvarna 262XP and the Echo CS-600P. The 600P was just a tad faster, the details are in a thread I put up here about a month ago.

Even though the 600P runs with the 262XP, I'm not doing back-flips or anything of the sort. The saw is brand new, and we're going to beat on it pretty hard over the next few years to see how it holds up? Not expecting any issues, it is a very well made unit.

As far as differences in the CS-590, 600P, and 620P, they all share the same size engine, but different pistons and cylinders were used, a quick look at the IPL's will show different part numbers for each model and again different in certain serial number ranges. The early 600P uses a different P/C than the CS-590, and 620's are again different from any of the CS-590's and 600's. They also list quite a few different coils for them, depending on serial number range. I suspect the CS-590's are "limited", simply because that coil is quite a bit more expensive than the 600's/620's. If it is limited, it's not low enough to be "annoying" like my CS-360T. With the carb set correctly I can't really tell if the CS-590 is "four-stroking" or coming up on the limiter, so good to go there and no need to search out an unlimited coil for one.

The best thing about these saws is bang for the buck, you are really getting a LOT of saw if you can snag a CS-590 for about $350 or a tad less shipped to your door.....IMHO.......Cliff

Alright everyone, lets talk about Echos. Im really liking the cs590, cs600p, and cs620p. Now what exactly are the difference between the 3? Carb? ignition timing? etc. Also if anyone has the horsepower ratings for them that would be great as i cant seem to find them. Im thinking about getting one of these in favor of a stihl ms362 or husqvarna 562xp and 555. They seem to have top notch build quality all while having simplicity and reliability. Plus from videos it looks like they can run right up there with the comparable stihls and huskys, all for a better price and 5 year warranty. So i just want to see what everyone's opinion is on these 3 saws and which one i should consider buying if i go the echo route. Thanks!
You won't have the warranty unless you buy another stock muffler and new tuning caps

Do a search, there are several good threads on those saws. I own a CS-590 and 600P. Got them WAY under retail on Ebay, new in the box.

Both are very strong runners, and all stock aside from removing the limiter caps to give them a little fuel and I ground out the inner portion of the deflector/guide on the muffler as it's just a tad restrictive. The muffler itself is very well designed and I really see no need to modify it in any way.

I also did some time cutting/testing between my Husqvarna 262XP and the Echo CS-600P. The 600P was just a tad faster, the details are in a thread I put up here about a month ago.

Even though the 600P runs with the 262XP, I'm not doing back-flips or anything of the sort. The saw is brand new, and we're going to beat on it pretty hard over the next few years to see how it holds up? Not expecting any issues, it is a very well made unit.

As far as differences in the CS-590, 600P, and 620P, they all share the same size engine, but different pistons and cylinders were used, a quick look at the IPL's will show different part numbers for each model and again different in certain serial number ranges. The early 600P uses a different P/C than the CS-590, and 620's are again different from any of the CS-590's and 600's. They also list quite a few different coils for them, depending on serial number range. I suspect the CS-590's are "limited", simply because that coil is quite a bit more expensive than the 600's/620's. If it is limited, it's not low enough to be "annoying" like my CS-360T. With the carb set correctly I can't really tell if the CS-590 is "four-stroking" or coming up on the limiter, so good to go there and no need to search out an unlimited coil for one.

The best thing about these saws is bang for the buck, you are really getting a LOT of saw if you can snag a CS-590 for about $350 or a tad less shipped to your door.....IMHO.......Cliff
330 and 360t coils suck. Another 1,000 or 1,500 rpm would be nice

Very true about the Warranty, however, if you don't remove the limiter caps and add some fuel, it's a LOT more likely you will need to use that 5 year Warranty. My CS-590 was WAY lean on the "H" speed screw, the 600P uses a different carb and the "H" speed screw was just a touch from being fully seated, so I'm guessing it has a fixed jet. I still ended up opening it up a good amount to make it happy. I also wouldn't open up the muffler anyplace. There are several different styles of deflectors, and the replacement part is a two piece unit but the parts are spot welded together. It's cheap enough to grab one and put it back in place if you happen to "smoke" the P/C or have some sort of catastrophic engine damage under Warranty.

As for the limiter caps, I put mine right back in place, they were not damaged in any way during the removal. I just lightly ground the "stops" off the sides of them, then pushed them back in place and put the retainer over them. Unless a tech comes along and pulls them or pries the retainer off, no one would ever know you were in there.......Cliff007.JPG IMG_0737.JPG

Very true about the Warranty, however, if you don't remove the limiter caps and add some fuel, it's a LOT more likely you will need to use that 5 year Warranty. My CS-590 was WAY lean on the "H" speed screw, the 600P uses a different carb and the "H" speed screw was just a touch from being fully seated, so I'm guessing it has a fixed jet. I still ended up opening it up a good amount to make it happy. I also wouldn't open up the muffler anyplace. There are several different styles of deflectors, and the replacement part is a two piece unit but the parts are spot welded together. It's cheap enough to grab one and put it back in place if you happen to "smoke" the P/C or have some sort of catastrophic engine damage under Warranty.

As for the limiter caps, I put mine right back in place, they were not damaged in any way during the removal. I just lightly ground the "stops" off the sides of them, then pushed them back in place and put the retainer over them. Unless a tech comes along and pulls them or pries the retainer off, no one would ever know you were in there.......CliffView attachment 488078 View attachment 488079
Yeah I don't think a echo will use a warranty if tuned right if it does it will happen within first 5 tanks

Have you ever picked up a 600p in one hand and a 555 husky in the other? The Echo 5/6 series can be an awesome firewood saw for the price, they are are reasonably well built plasitcs and cases, and they give you nice fuel filters and walbro carbs which is good. However in the pro market you rarely see an echo limbing, bucking or felling saw for pretty good reason. Top handles you see the odd guy use. For homeowner/ranch/firewood duties the benefits of a lighter, smaller faster saw may never be realised. Using the saw daily in a work environment is a total different story. So it comes down to what YOU need out of the saw in order to make the best decision. Either model you mention could be the best choice depending on your specific requirements and funds to spend. If they were all the same price, the echos would be crossed straight off the list but they are not the same price and are a good saw for the money.

Have you ever picked up a 600p in one hand and a 555 husky in the other? The Echo 5/6 series can be an awesome firewood saw for the price, they are are reasonably well built plasitcs and cases, and they give you nice fuel filters and walbro carbs which is good. However in the pro market you rarely see an echo limbing, bucking or felling saw for pretty good reason. Top handles you see the odd guy use. For homeowner/ranch/firewood duties the benefits of a lighter, smaller faster saw may never be realised. Using the saw daily in a work environment is a total different story. So it comes down to what YOU need out of the saw in order to make the best decision. Either model you mention could be the best choice depending on your specific requirements and funds to spend. If they were all the same price, the echos would be crossed straight off the list but they are not the same price and are a good saw for the money.
Unless the company owner is a die hard stihl fan the climbers and bucket operators are switching to husky and echo top handle. I do like the durability of the 201t but 600 is too much to spend when I can buy 2 echos tops for that price. I run my echo all day and only thing I'd like for it is a taller bar like the stihl bars.

Also, this saw is mainly going to be used as a firewood saw. That why i am liking the rugged design and feel of the echos. Ive looked at a 562xp, 555 and stihl ms362c and i like the feel of the echos better. As well as the price. haha Im just trying to know exactly what the differences between the 3 echos are before i decide which one. Right now im thinking either go middle of the road with the 600p, or if the difference is worth it, go all out with the 620p. Thank you all for the advice and pictures. I appreciate all the info i can gather. Keep it coming.

Can't say as I've seen anyone test these saws side by side for power and cutting performance. They all have the same size engine but list different piston and cylinder numbers. I can't see the 620 having a lot more power than the 590 or 600. For general use for sure you woln't be disappointed in the 590/600's, they are very strong runners right out of the box with just a little help as mentioned above......Cliff

I paid the extra money and bought the Shindaiwa-branded equivalent to the Echo 620P about two weeks ago. Same saw, different color/brand--like Chevy/GMC. My reasoning was that it had some pro features and add'l power/torque before any modifications. Also, since I'm going to be using it for firewood, I plan on using it a long, long time. That was worth the extra $ to me. The saw I bought was the Shindaiwa 600 SX. Again, it's just the 620P in red.

I use echo Yamabiko top handles all the time, the Makita 231t is made by Yamabiko Japan and is certainly not a German Dolmar. Their great, lighter than a ms150t and handle a 10" b/c well. For firewood, the 5 series/6 series Echos wouod be fine. I'd get the 620p myself but a 590 would be ok. I have a 550p (don't get that one) which is too big/heavy for its displacement but it works well but a 590 will have more power on the same chassis therfore is a smarter choice. The 620p is very respectable and not sold based on price but more based on a high quality 60cc saw. I like the handle on the 620 compared to the others.

Echo has a few really nice offerings in their line-up. I haven't tested all of them, but in the last 15 years or so have ran quite a few. I really like to let others do some of the testing for me, saves my money and makes for good reading on here.

Pound for pound the best to date have been the CS-510 and CS-590/600P. The CS-360T has great power, and has been rock solid reliable, but I absolutely HATE the limited coil, it comes in WAY too soon, and it's "bulky" for a top handle saw.

I've also tested the CS-370, 400, 440, 6700, 670 and 800. The 370/400's are decent, not high rpms but very good power for the cc's. I ditched the 670's, 6700 and 800, they are heavy, slow, and not the first bit impressive anyplace.

I've also own/owned a number of reed valve models, most were top handles, and they are OK, but pathetically underpowered for the cc's.

Right now saying this from direct experience, the CS-590 is the best bang for the buck in their line-up, difficult to get that much saw for the money anywhere else..........Cliff

Didn't check the IPL's but my bud bought a 590 on my advice and I think he was disappointed because it has a spur sprocket. Other than that he loves the saw so far.

What about the 620? is that a big jump in power from the 600 and 590?
The 620 has about 25 percent more power than the 590, but it costs 60% more. In addition to that extra power, you get a metal handle, bigger muffler, supposedly unlimited coil, and different piston and cylinder. I bought the Shindaiwa version of the 620. The model is called the Shindaiwa 600 SX.

I just ran my third tank through it this morning on some tuliptree (aka tulip poplar or yellow poplar). I ran the first two tanks through it last Saturday. It runs great, and I'm glad I bought it.

If money is an issue, then get the 590. If you plan on using it for the long haul and plan on caring for it, get the 620P. You'll appreciate the extra features, and the extra 250-sumpin' bucks will be forgotten 10 tanks down the road.

25 percent? I'd have to run them side by side to believe that, since they are the same CC's. I'd think more like 5-10 percent if they have tighter squish are improved porting for high rpm power. My CS-590 is no slacker in high rpm power, and the CS-600P for sure has great power for the cc's. Not only have I done some timed test cutting with it, ran it all day yesterday cutting up a hard Maple tree that measured 54" at the base. Most of th e limbs were over 24" in diameter. We did most of the big work with a Stihl 660 and Husqvarna 395, and used a 266SE and my CS-600P for cross-cutting the HUGE pieces we rolled out to lighten them up and making them more manageable to get to the splitter. The 600P was just a tad faster than the 266SE which belongs to my brother, he was pretty impressed with it and it sparked some interest for him to get a CS-620P with the wrap handle. We both have a pretty nice collection of Husqvarna chainsaws from 50cc to a 2100CD, so aren't easily impressed with these things.......FWIW.......Cliff

Maple.JPG Maple1.JPG

I have... And the videos also reflect why I think for the 555 vs the 620 the 620 is a better saw... Wider power band, dual spikes, mag case, better chip feeding with inboard clutch, unlimited coil etc etc...

Latest posts

Back