Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Husky sounds like a higher rpm in wood but the echo sure looks like it can be pushed on

Yes... The echo was a hair rich even I think a little leaner and it should be about the same rpm but yes much wider power band.

I got the 555 used so very close to the same... I would still choose a 620 over a 555...

"Better chip feeding"

Something I have not mentioned to date with the 590/600/620's. I do a good bit of cross-cutting larger material to get it down to more manageable sizes to get to the splitter. I also cut down most of the big/knotty pieces to keep from putting so much stress on the splitter instead of forcing the splitter thru them. These saws don't even think about plugging up with chips or "noodles", they feed right thru them.

All of my other saws require that you stop and clean them out when cross-cutting. This isn't a huge advantage or anything, but something that does play a role in how well a saw is designed, and how well it works in the field......Cliff

Some of my pro huskys and stihls are terrible when noddling when noodles bind up in the clutch cover, my dolmars seem to clog up a lot less. l have a custom ms660 clutch cover that would fail a saftey officers inspction but definately works well. Its definately important in the design of a saw, especially over 50cc classes.

Whatever they've done with the 590/600/620's they don't grumble at all when "noodling". I find myself having to stop the saw and reach down on all my other saws when cross-cutting to keep them cleaned out. Not a big deal, but I do a lot of cross cutting here, to make big pieces of wood more manageable as I'm getting older and already had 3 hernia surgeries!

I don't have the ability to make videos, but did recently test my 600P against my 262XP. They were pretty close in timed cutting, but for sure when I "pushed" them harder the Echo was faster, as it has a broader power curve and a tad stronger in "mid-range" power. They were only a few seconds apart when cutting as fast as possible without "pushing" them.

I didn't start doing back-flips or anything when the 600P outran the 262XP. It's a brand new saw, my 262XP is decades old and still runs flawlessly and I've never had the first issue one with it anyplace.

Someone mentioned above that a CS-620 is 25 percent faster than a CS-600. If that is true, then a CS-620 is nearly 30 percent faster than a Husqvarna 262XP, and everyone wanting a 60cc saw should be buying one!.........Cliff

Some good food for thought thanks guys. I think they are solid saws.

It appears that all the P/C's listed will interchange, but the 620 uses a different carburetor and coil (most likely unlimited). So to get full benefit it would be a bit costly to do that upgrade on a CS-590. The early 600's use a different P/C than the later 600's and 590's, a different carb and once again a different coil, so not sure how all that factors into upgrading one to 620 specs?

I can say without hesitation that my early 600P has PLENTY of power for the cc's, and I wouldn't be looking to upgrade anything on it.

Haven't done much testing with the CS-590, just too busy in the shop this time of year, but I will run it against the 262XP and CS-600P when I get a moment and post the results.....Cliff

Is it a completely different designed coil or will they also interchange. Depending on what the limit is it may not even need to be changed.

Is it a completely different designed coil or will they also interchange. Depending on what the limit is it may not even need to be changed.
They will all interchange coil wise. On a 590 ID pull the gasket, maybe cut the base if needed, muffler mod and retune... I don't know if a larger carb would make a world of difference.

Whatever they've done with the 590/600/620's they don't grumble at all when "noodling". I find myself having to stop the saw and reach down on all my other saws when cross-cutting to keep them cleaned out. Not a big deal, but I do a lot of cross cutting here, to make big pieces of wood more manageable as I'm getting older and already had 3 hernia surgeries!

I don't have the ability to make videos, but did recently test my 600P against my 262XP. They were pretty close in timed cutting, but for sure when I "pushed" them harder the Echo was faster, as it has a broader power curve and a tad stronger in "mid-range" power. They were only a few seconds apart when cutting as fast as possible without "pushing" them.

I didn't start doing back-flips or anything when the 600P outran the 262XP. It's a brand new saw, my 262XP is decades old and still runs flawlessly and I've never had the first issue one with it anyplace.

Someone mentioned above that a CS-620 is 25 percent faster than a CS-600. If that is true, then a CS-620 is nearly 30 percent faster than a Husqvarna 262XP, and everyone wanting a 60cc saw should be buying one!.........Cliff
Cliff, A fair less bias comparison would be not comparing a 25+ year old Husky model to a current new model echo. Perhaps something at least in the last decade like a 357/359 perhaps a 562xp? While a 262xp is the vintage it is, it is still a LOT smaller compared to a 2016 model 60cc Echo. How a about comparing apples to apples with a 562? How would the 620/590/600 stack up then?? Power is only one aspect of a bucking/felling saw, power to weight ratio is what you pay good money for. I like the 620p but let not get carried away with ourselves.

I compare the CS-590/600's against the 262XP because it's the only saw I have in that class to compare them too. I've never much liked the 357/359 chassis, and no want or need for a 562XP, so for any testing you'll get from me it will be with the 262XP, or comparing the CS-590 against the CS-600P, and again against the CS-620PW if I ever drop the hammer on one.

My 262XP is in near mint condition, and very low hours, compression is perfect, and it runs flawlessly, so at least I'm running it against a nice saw instead of some worn slam out POS. The 262XP has also a very popular model, and still highly sought after, and top of the pile in 60cc saws from that period in power to weight, ergonomics, etc.

Even with all that said it's not readily available, so I like to see folks testing more current and available offerings. About all I'm able to tell folks at this point is that the slightly bigger/bulkier CS-600P will run with a Husqvarna 262XP, and as I've said several times I'm certainly not doing back-flips over it, just posting some test results to show folks how well these new Echo offerings actually work.

One more thing to mention about the new Echo 590/600/620's is that they will take a large mount Husqvarna bar. The only difference that I can see is that the oil hole needs opened up slightly to be an exact match. I ran my 24" bar on the 600P from my 268XP and it worked fine without modding it all, but to be correct it really needs the oil hole opened up to get better alignment with the oil delivery slot..........Cliff

Cliff, A fair less bias comparison would be not comparing a 25+ year old Husky model to a current new model echo. Perhaps something at least in the last decade like a 357/359 perhaps a 562xp? While a 262xp is the vintage it is, it is still a LOT smaller compared to a 2016 model 60cc Echo. How a about comparing apples to apples with a 562? How would the 620/590/600 stack up then?? Power is only one aspect of a bucking/felling saw, power to weight ratio is what you pay good money for. I like the 620p but let not get carried away with ourselves.
@Cliff R don't let him ruffle your feathers. In other threads they argue that echoes are 25 year old tech. The only thing the 562 has is a few ounces lighter. Those husky guys get worked up pretty easy over that 562. It is almost like they spent all that money and are made at themselves when it was only for .1kg lol
Thankfully the echoes are not burdened with that dreaded out board clutch. Makes handling so much harder. Harder to handle removing a ph from a pinched bar, harder room handle taking a chain off or on, harder to keep clean of oil and debris.
Yes I love poking a stick at them 562 boys. I am ornery like that

Firstly I ain't no husky guy, I actually have more stihls and echoes than huskies. Secondly a 562xp has much more tech and clever design than any echo made today or in years past. Thirdly some of the best pro saws ever made use outboard clutches like ms200t, stihl 090, 346xp etc, those saws are hardly a burden to run.lol Cutting firewood is relaxing and a 620p will do it as well as any 60cc saw. Using a saw in a work environment would soon make you realise 'why' people are not running new echoe saws. Comparing a three decade old husky 262 (still much smaller/better balanced) to a 2016 echoe is a little silly don't you think? You talk about the 'husky guys' well how about the 'echo guys' accepting simple basic facts and stop continually dissmissing them. Have a nice day

I don't see anything "silly" about my testing, it is what it is and was very accurately done.

It simply shows that a modern Echo offering has power compared to one of the very best 60cc saws ever made, and folks to this day still search for them in nice shape and pay pretty high prices to add to their collection.

I ran the 600P again a few days ago side by side with a 266SE cross cutting HUGE pieces of hard Maple. This test wasn't fair for the 266SE as the Echo 600P doesn't even think about clogging up when cross-cutting/noodling. It was about 10 percent faster than the 266SE doing the same sort of work, but once again the 266SE is decades old and an "old" design, so any results really wouldn't help folks choosing currently available 60cc offerings if buying them new.

It still shows anyone reading this how much power these new Echo saws really make, and how well they work in the field.

When it comes to chainsaws I'm really not a brand specific guy, have owned scores of them over the years from a variety of manufacturers. I currently don't own any Stihl saws, mostly Husqvarna's a Echo's. I've sent a good many Echo's down the road over the years for not "making the grade". This includes more current offerings, which I ran extensively and they were just overweight and underpowered/slow. The two biggest disappointments for me were the CS-670/6700 and 800. They lacked "professional" features and were heavy, slow, and not impressive anyplace. Folks say they respond well to porting, but I'm not into that sort of thing, I want to buy a "race horse" right out of the box, not have to take it completely apart and do to it what should have been done at the factory. At that point comparisons between any and all of them are pretty much meaningless, at least from a standpoint of how good of a saw they are and how much power they make if one was to run out and buy one and do nothing to it.

I still love to read threads and watch videos of porting these saws, so not trying to down-play that sort of thing or criticize the work of others, it's just not my thing.......Cliff

+2

I spent a lot of time this weekend running a big Stihl, model 660 Magnum, pretty impressive.

I should have tested the CS-610P against a Mac 610, then folks reading the results would have something to bellyache about!......Cliff

Latest posts

Back