661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
308 case is better suited to 6mm,6.5mm and 7mm bullets IMO.
And I see about zero use for a bull barreled rifle besides target shooting and high volume varmint hunting.

I used a 243 Ackley w/ Nightforce 42X for my long range varminting in NW Texas.

1056953.243.jpg

The 270 is great for open field shots, but for a dual purpose cartridge, a 27/08 IMO would be better. I think there would have been plenty of demand for both, but Winchester did not see it that way.

Since I do most of my hunting in dense woods, I've returned to the 30 bore for hunting. Over the years, I've just had a far higher success rate with it. The last deer I took with the 270 WSM, the bullet obviously encountered some brush before hitting the deer, the entry hole was large and the exit hole small. The deer was well hit and still went over 100 yds.

I know all about sectional density and everything else, but in real life, the 30 cal bullets just seem to do better for me. In fact, if I did not feel the need to use a scope (the eyes got older), I'd still be using the 348 Win. It is hard to beat the performance of that cartridge. Was going to have a Ruger Single shot made up in it, but decided I wanted more than on shot in the gun on freezing cold days when your fingers start to go numb.

A 338/06 or 338 Federal would likely be very effective also, but the 30s just seem to do well enough.
Sectional density is meaningless as it pertains to expanding bullets. Frontal area of the expanded bullet is a much better indicator of penetration.
I'm a 30 cal guy too.. and I don't see the need for anything that comes in a short action once your passed the 6.5mm.
Always wanted a 348 in a model 71, but they are collectors guns now and the prices reflect it. Use a Marlin 45-70 with a 250gr Barnes TSX loaded to its full 1895 potential. Call that load the flying ash tray.

Since this is supposedly an oil thread, what oil(s) have you guys found out to be the best for lubricating? And do you use two (or more) oils for different applications on your weapons?

Sorry about the confusion, I'm talking about guns here lol.

Sectional density is meaningless as it pertains to expanding bullets. Frontal area of the expanded bullet is a much better indicator of penetration.
I'm a 30 cal guy too.. and I don't see the need for anything that comes in a short action once your passed the 6.5mm.
Always wanted a 348 in a model 71, but they are collectors guns now and the prices reflect it. Use a Marlin 45-70 with a 250gr Barnes TSX loaded to its full 1895 potential. Call that load the flying ash tray.
I dropped a few bucks last year with my Marlin 1895MR in 450 using a 350gr. Both under 150 yds. That load shoots accurate at 275yds. if needed.

308 case is better suited to 6mm,6.5mm and 7mm bullets IMO.
And I see about zero use for a bull barreled rifle besides target shooting and high volume varmint hunting.
My 7STW isn't to heavy with a #5 contour Krieger barrel. My 264 mag has a heavy #8 Krieger but it's strictly a pipeline or clearcut rig. I'll be loading and testing 140gr VLD's in that 264. I also have 168 and 180 VLD's to test in my STW. A heavy barrel helps with holding that reticle steady for longer shots.

I little tab of mobil XP222 syn great with moly and I mean small on the locking lugs/lug abatements and the same on the cock in piece/sear is all I use on a bolt action. On my direct inpingment AR I use break free CLP and lots of it.
I've been using the frog lube on pistols and AR. I don't shoot bolt actions much and those got the Mpro 7. Q

Since this is supposedly an oil thread, what oil(s) have you guys found out to be the best for lubricating? And do you use two (or more) oils for different applications on your weapons?

Sorry about the confusion, I'm talking about guns here lol.
Conversatin' about guns >arguing about oil tests

i use royal purple gun oil available from oreilly 7.99 per can but good stuff
its better than some other brands that like to gum and jell in cold weather.

GA Precision built
Rem 700 short action - "A" prefix Trued
McMillan A5 Stock - heavy fill
Boots Obermeyer 21" Chambered - .308 1 in 11.27
Badger brake
Bader bolt knob
Badger Trig guard
Badger 20moa rail
Gretan firing pin
Badger 34mm rings
Harris bipod
Schmidt & Bender PMII - 3-12x50
Teflon coat all metal.
Weighs approx 17lbs.

Win brass
175gr sierra match kings
win primers
~44gr varget

Shooting off hand at 850yds at steel target. Later that day went out to 1187 yds (per range finder) at 12" steel target. 8 hits out of 10 shots. :) Not bad for hitting super to subsonic transition before said distance/target.

lube/oil - Brownells sells there own brand...actually really good stuff...works well.

Attachments

• IMG_3033.jpg
    IMG_3033.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 37
That looks kinda like how I had to contort myself when I got the deer at 100 yds with the MZ last year. Had no choice but to take the shot offhand, standing, with nothing to lean on or against. But I did put the sling around my arm.

That is some long distance shooting! I have done 600 yds, but not standing, but with open sights! (A high power match at Camp Smith).

Back