661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GA Precision built
Rem 700 short action - "A" prefix Trued
McMillan A5 Stock - heavy fill
Boots Obermeyer 21" Chambered - .308 1 in 11.27
Badger brake
Bader bolt knob
Badger Trig guard
Badger 20moa rail
Gretan firing pin
Badger 34mm rings
Harris bipod
Schmidt & Bender PMII - 3-12x50
Teflon coat all metal.
Weighs approx 17lbs.

Win brass
175gr sierra match kings
win primers
~44gr varget

Shooting off hand at 850yds at steel target. Later that day went out to 1187 yds (per range finder) at 12" steel target. 8 hits out of 10 shots. :) Not bad for hitting super to subsonic transition before said distance/target.

lube/oil - Brownells sells there own brand...actually really good stuff...works well.
I really like my McMillan HTG woodland camo stock w/(#8 Krieger) on my 264. Probably going with a nightforce nxs 5-22x56. My cousin liked my stock so much he also got a HTG, buy forest camo, for his 7mag. He has a #4.5 Krieger contour. He's hitting good a little over 500 yds with hornady 154's. He wants me to load him some 168 or 180 VLD's. His has a fast twist at 1:8. So far our longest shots/loads tested have been 860yds with 150gr scirocco's in my STW. TSX's were super accurate up to 500yds but weren't consistent for me farther. We only test hunting bullets not target bullets.

GA Precision built
Rem 700 short action - "A" prefix Trued
McMillan A5 Stock - heavy fill
Boots Obermeyer 21" Chambered - .308 1 in 11.27
Badger brake
Bader bolt knob
Badger Trig guard
Badger 20moa rail
Gretan firing pin
Badger 34mm rings
Harris bipod
Schmidt & Bender PMII - 3-12x50
Teflon coat all metal.
Weighs approx 17lbs.

Win brass
175gr sierra match kings
win primers
~44gr varget

Shooting off hand at 850yds at steel target. Later that day went out to 1187 yds (per range finder) at 12" steel target. 8 hits out of 10 shots. :) Not bad for hitting super to subsonic transition before said distance/target.

lube/oil - Brownells sells there own brand...actually really good stuff...works well.
Factory trigger? Pull? My long range deer hunting rifle triggers are set 2.25 - 2.75 lbs. My squirrel rifle, rem. 581 action w/Broughton barrel 1:17 twist, is set at 1.25lbs. Canjar trigger.

Shots of over 100 yds in the woods I hunt are the exception.
I prefer to hunt deep in a hardwood bottom surrounded with oak trees. That's when I bring my Win 94 in 356 or my Marlin 450. Most memorable kills were during primitive weapon season using my Lyman Great Plains 54 black powder rifle using buffalo bullets and 110 grs of FF black powder. Looks like the size of a quarter going in and coming out. Lots of recoil and smoke!

Have you ran red line before? I have but it was a few years ago, I liked it at 50:1 but that was all I knew back then. Anyone ran it at 32:1?
I have not used it, a good friend of mine was sponsored by them for sx, he ran it at 64 to 1 in his cr 125 back in the late 90's

Factory trigger? Pull? My long range deer hunting rifle triggers are set 2.25 - 2.75 lbs. My squirrel rifle, rem. 581 action w/Broughton barrel 1:17 twist, is set at 1.25lbs. Canjar trigger.

factory - old style with thick lever non concave back. All stainless I took off another 700. Stamped 1 ...hard to find.

2.3-2.5lbs.

rifle basix is a nice semi cheap custom trig. but there is always jewell :)

another rig I had for a while... LWRC REPR 20". US Optics 1.8-10 if i remember right. Serial # the rifle was 0666 no joke. lol

Attachments

• REPR 008.jpg
    REPR 008.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 17
I have not used it, a good friend of mine was sponsored by them for sx, he ran it at 64 to 1 in his cr 125 back in the late 90's
I have ran it extensively in sleds and some in bikes. It reacts very poorly with ethanol and or water and corrode parts. It actually turned the main jets on my bike black and in a short period of time, not just storage.
It's one of only two oils I would say to never, ever run.

factory - old style with thick lever non concave back. All stainless I took off another 700. Stamped 1 ...hard to find.

2.3-2.5lbs.

rifle basix is a nice semi cheap custom trig. but there is always jewell :)

another rig I had for a while... LWRC REPR 20". US Optics 1.8-10 if i remember right. Serial # the rifle was 0666 no joke. lol
On a 700 Neil Jones does an excellent job tuning them. Not a Jewell, but nothing really is in that league. I like my hunting triggers set at 1lb.

My 7STW isn't to heavy with a #5 contour Krieger barrel. My 264 mag has a heavy #8 Krieger but it's strictly a pipeline or clearcut rig. I'll be loading and testing 140gr VLD's in that 264. I also have 168 and 180 VLD's to test in my STW. A heavy barrel helps with holding that reticle steady for longer shots.
A Krieger #5 is pretty thick. In 7mm or 30 cal I like a Rock Creek 5R in a #3.

I have ran it extensively in sleds and some in bikes. It reacts very poorly with ethanol and or water and corrode parts. It actually turned the main jets on my bike black and in a short period of time, not just storage.

What oil would you recommend to the guys who dont have access to eth free fuel ?

H1r was turning the insides of my stihl fuel tanks brown ,is that just the dye doing that or the oil makeup you think ?

I miss the arguments on the oil side of this thread it has gone to the birds now good for a laugh while it lasted:laugh:
Oil talk will be back, don't worry.

I live in the condor zone in Collyfornia so we can't use any lead. My 30-06 Rem 700 SS mountain rifle was tuned perfectly with Nosler Partition 165gr but now I use a Barnes 168gr. I haven't worked out a load I really like yet. The whole state will be no-lead in (IIRC) 2020, or maybe 2018. That gets expensive!

Barnes or other all copper bullets...copper = less dense than lead.

So for example 150gr all copper bullet = longer than typical lead with copper jacket bullet.

The extra length completely changes everything. From powder charge, seating depth, to how the barrel twist acts on the bullet...accuracy.

Copper petals on the barnes seem to sheer off if velocity is to high...they seem to perform better with less velocity. The performance of the petals is the key factor for barnes as the base of the bullet will basically not deform vs your typical lead base can deform/expand out somewhat depending on velocity and what it hits.

Latest posts

Back