661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barnes or other all copper bullets...copper = less dense than lead.

So for example 150gr all copper bullet = longer than typical lead with copper jacket bullet.

The extra length completely changes everything. From powder charge, seating depth, to how the barrel twist acts on the bullet...accuracy.

Copper petals on the barnes seem to sheer off if velocity is to high...they seem to perform better with less velocity. The performance of the petals is the key factor for barnes as the base of the bullet will basically not deform vs your typical lead base can deform/expand out somewhat depending on velocity and what it hits.
Barnes as a rule are pretty easy to get to shoot. At least the TSX and latter versions.
IME you really need all the velocity you can get with them and be sure you hit bone. If not all bets are off and even if the above conditions are met they still are inconsistent.

I did shoot a small buck, maybe 150lbs with a 100 gr TSX out of a 25-06 Ackley improved. Deer was only 35 yards away IIRC. Entry wound broke should and exit was just behind off side shoulder. The bullet then went through a large sugar beet that was laying on the ground and into the sand. Perfectly expanded four petals, yet the lungs looked like an ice pic went through them and the darn thing ran 7o plus yards into a hell hole of a cedar swamp.

Barnes copper bullets are more difficult to shoot accurately. My 30s like the 168 gr better than the 165, different profile shape. They are never my most accurate bullet. I would not use max bullet wt / cal. For example, if you like 180 gr 30 cal, try 168 gr Barnes, etc.

The pedals seemed to hold up fine for me, even from the 300 Win Mag. I'm sure they can fail on bone, but in ballistic material they hold up very well, and provide far more penetration than other bullets.

Expanded diameter is also very good, something lacking in the partition style bullets.

As previously stated, every style of bullet will have + & -.

Barnes or other all copper bullets...copper = less dense than lead.

So for example 150gr all copper bullet = longer than typical lead with copper jacket bullet.

The extra length completely changes everything. From powder charge, seating depth, to how the barrel twist acts on the bullet...accuracy.

Copper petals on the barnes seem to sheer off if velocity is to high...they seem to perform better with less velocity. The performance of the petals is the key factor for barnes as the base of the bullet will basically not deform vs your typical lead base can deform/expand out somewhat depending on velocity and what it hits.
Agreed. That's why I am still working up the load, I only like to change one thing at a time.

BTW I am working up new loads for all my rifles and pistols as, like I said, no-lead bullets will be required state wide in the near future. It used to be a $200.00 order from Midway came in a big box. Now with copper bullets I get a tiny box.

Barnes copper bullets are more difficult to shoot accurately. My 30s like the 168 gr better than the 165, different profile shape. They are never my most accurate bullet. I would not use max bullet wt / cal. For example, if you like 180 gr 30 cal, try 168 gr Barnes, etc.

The pedals seemed to hold up fine for me, even from the 300 Win Mag. I'm sure they can fail on bone, but in ballistic material they hold up very well, and provide far more penetration than other bullets.

Expanded diameter is also very good, something lacking in the partition style bullets.

As previously stated, every style of bullet will have + & -.
Barnes will always have a long and narrow wound cavity with less volume vs a partition. The partition by design blows off the front end to cause massive damage while the back end soldiers on and exits. The Barnes if it blows it's petals off is little more than caliber dizenas it pertains to frontal area and even if it retains four petals the frontal are is comprised by the gaps in the petals so in most cases they have less frontal area than a partition of equal size. Less frontal area is why the barnes penetrate deeper vs a partition. But this also causes less cavitation and as a result tissue damage.

One thing with Barnes is the tend to shoot better in many cases when seated well off the lands. Of course this isn't always the case as my ultra likes a slight kiss with the 180ttsx, but everything else I have tried them in preferred a good jump.

That was marginally one of your most awesome poasts.
I have honestly never tried either the 362 or mx2t yet ,but i am an internet expert off what i have read ,and everything has led to awesome ,so i got you covered on the fact that mx2t ,and the 362 are both
smiley-face-clip-art-thumbs-up-clipart-two-thumbs-up-happy-smiley-emoticon-512x512-eec6.png

I have honestly never tried either the 362 or mx2t yet ,but i am an internet expert off what i have read ,and everything has led to awesome ,so i got you covered on the fact that mx2t ,and the 362 are both
smiley-face-clip-art-thumbs-up-clipart-two-thumbs-up-happy-smiley-emoticon-512x512-eec6.png

You just dont come across awesome poasts like this anymore.

Your missin out on a 362 c-m.

You guys are a riot....powering this thread to 300 pages with coexisting oil and gun discussions.

There are some bullets that claim to be better. But if you need to kill things, especially something with large claws and/or teeth, I would put my bottom dollar on Nosler Partition. Barnes X have very pretty performance examples from ballistic gelatin but they operate well in a much more narrow velocity band. It's possible for them to shear completely or not open at all.

I nearly lost a trophy caribou because the Trophy Bonded bullets I was shooting failed to open up. After I shot him 4 times he was still standing there looking at me from 10 yards away. Nosler in virtually the same spot flattened him like Thor's hammer.

You guys are a riot....powering this thread to 300 pages with coexisting oil and gun discussions.

There are some bullets that claim to be better. But if you need to kill things, especially something with large claws and/or teeth, I would put my bottom dollar on Nosler Partition. Barnes X have very pretty performance examples from ballistic gelatin but they operate well in a much more narrow velocity band. It's possible for them to shear completely or not open at all.

I nearly lost a trophy caribou because the Trophy Bonded bullets I was shooting failed to open up. After I shot him 4 times he was still standing there looking at me from 10 yards away. Nosler in virtually the same spot flattened him like Thor's hammer.
Nosler are pretty much are the gold standard of bullets. Not bad for a product that came to Market in 1948!

Nosler are pretty much are the gold standard of bullets. Not bad for a product that came to Market in 1948!
The majority of quick kills have been with 140gr ballistic tips from my STW. One opening morning of deer season a nice buck was in a fast walk in a clear cut 268yds away. When I shot he did a forward flip and never moved.

Latest posts

Back