661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nope i'll pass i change my oil every 10,000 miles anyway i think 25,000 is a bit much.

i send my oil to blackstone labs for oil analysis when the TBN of the oil falls below 2 i change my oil i send it off every 5,000 miles.
i use chevron delo 5w40 full syn.

Same here ,50 year old cars can be rust free out here still .I just crushed a 1970 ford f250 that had no rust

Ok. I couldn't remember which one it was. Both had 441s

Correct. the saw was apart for porting, it's still running with that piston, which has a pop up now. A little cleaning and the top end was fine, but everything was totally dry and overheated as you can see in the pics.

I run my Saber at 40:1 and it burns clean . I would never even try to run it at 100:1 in a saw but you may get away with that in grass trimmers and the like .

Synthetic oils were first engineered due to the fact they resist higher prolonged heat and resist breaking down under extreme heat conditions. They were not introduced for their better lubrication properties rather their resistance to breaking down under high temperature where a mineral oil could resulting in catashropic failure. Unlike a two stroke, a four stroke recycles oil in a sump and uses that oil as a primary source cooling and lubrication, so under extreme heat conditions (way hotter than a two stroke or two stroke oil will ever get too), they can offer better protection due to their larger uniform molecules. These larger molecules do NOT cling to metal better, they will not provide better lubrication in a chainsaw that NEVER see's the heat that would make synthetics a better option. ln a two stoke oil is not recycled its mixed with fuel (two stokes main source of cooling) goes into the engine does its job, gets burnt and shot out the exhaust. Mineral oil aids combustion, synthetics don't really burn so don't combust and provide power (unlike mineral oil). The real benefits of synthetics cannot ever be realised in a two stroke, four stokes yes but they are a total different kettle of fish. Marketing plays a big role in this, guys here think spending 2x3xhell5x the cost of a quality mineral oil must be a better option right.....its five time the price it must be better right? Forget that, start thinking and understanding the role oil plays in a two stroke and make a decision based on just that. Don't forget OEM's like stihl only introduced synthetic oil to combat dirty valves in four mixes, they have been recommending mineral oil for decades with good proven results. A chainsaw simply will never see the benefits a synthetic oil may offer, there are far more disadvantages using it in this application. Think about it.

Back