661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Correct. the saw was apart for porting, it's still running with that piston, which has a pop up now. A little cleaning and the top end was fine, but everything was totally dry and overheated as you can see in the pics.
Those strato engines run hot and are less lubricated to begin with. Through a stunt at them like milling at 100:1 and it's amazing the motor didn't seize.

Synthetic oils were first engineered due to the fact they resist higher prolonged heat and resist breaking down under extreme heat conditions. They were not introduced for their better lubrication properties rather their resistance to breaking down under high temperature where a mineral oil could resulting in catashropic failure. Unlike a two stroke, a four stroke recycles oil in a sump and uses that oil as a primary source cooling and lubrication, so under extreme heat conditions (way hotter than a two stroke or two stroke oil will ever get too), they can offer better protection due to their larger uniform molecules. These larger molecules do NOT cling to metal better, they will not provide better lubrication in a chainsaw that NEVER see's the heat that would make synthetics a better option. ln a two stoke oil is not recycled its mixed with fuel (two stokes main source of cooling) goes into the engine does its job, gets burnt and shot out the exhaust. Mineral oil aids combustion, synthetics don't really burn so don't combust and provide power (unlike mineral oil). The real benefits of synthetics cannot ever be realised in a two stroke, four stokes yes but they are a total different kettle of fish. Marketing plays a big role in this, guys here think spending 2x3xhell5x the cost of a quality mineral oil must be a better option right.....its five time the price it must be better right? Forget that, start thinking and understanding the role oil plays in a two stroke and make a decision based on just that. Don't forget OEM's like stihl only introduced synthetic oil to combat dirty valves in four mixes, they have been recommending mineral oil for decades with good proven results. A chainsaw simply will never see the benefits a synthetic oil may offer, there are far more disadvantages using it in this application. Think about it.
I respectfully disagree.

I honestly don't even pay attention to the cost of oil, so that plays no role. I'm not sure I've see any real two cycle oil marketing. I've done my research, some of which involved the disassembly of the engine for measurements before and after an oil was used. The evidence and benefits of synthetic oil in two cycle engines is quite clear. Do mineral oils work? Sure they do, they surly have better corrosion protection. With that said synthetics are in every other way superior. And synthetics do lubricant better because of the particle uniformity and lack of contamination. Esters also have a low molecular weight, the oil actually penetrates into the metal, it doesn't just sit on the surface.

If you don't care for synthetics that's fine run what works for you.:cheers:

Synthetic oils were first engineered due to the fact they resist higher prolonged heat and resist breaking down under extreme heat conditions. They were not introduced for their better lubrication properties rather their resistance to breaking down under high temperature where a mineral oil could in catashropic failure. Unlike a two stroke, a four stroke recycles oil in a sump and uses that oil as a primary source cooling and lubrication, so under extreme heat conditions (way hotter than a two stroke or two stroke oil will ever get too), they can offer better protection due to their larger uniform molecules. These larger molecules do NOT cling to metal better, they will not provide better lubrication in a chainsaw that NEVER see's the heat that would make synthetics a better option. ln a two stoke oil is not recycled its mixed with fuel (two stokes main source of cooling) goes into the engine does its job, gets burnt and shot out the exhaust. Mineral oil aids combustion, synthetics don't really burn so don't combust and provide power (unlike mineral oil). The real benefits of synthetics cannot ever be realised in a two stroke, four stokes yes but they are a total different kettle of fish. Marketing plays a big role in this, guys here think spending 2x3xhell5x the cost of a quality mineral oil must be a better option right.....its five time the price it must be better right? Forget that, start thinking and understanding the role oil plays in a two stroke and make a decision based on just that. Don't forget OEM's like stihl only introduced synthetic oil to combat dirty valves in four mixes, they have been recommending mineral oil for decades with good proven results. A chainsaw simply will never see the benefits a synthetic oil may offer, there are far more disadvantages using it in this application. Think about it.
I don't know where to begin....

im going to do my own test im going to mix this oil with 3 gallons of gas and test it
either my saw will die or i will choke on the fumes, got this at family dollar for a whooping 1.30.
20151121_235756.jpg
20151121_235808.jpg

The additives prevented that from happening from what I could hypothesize. It was only a matter of time, or a stump cut.
you only have to look at the claims of how long engines can run with out any oil after running out of synthetic oil before seizing to know it would be a long time & definately not 1 stump if it was tuned correctly & had no mechanical defects.
fangskt

you only have to look at the claims of how long engines can run with out any oil after running out of synthetic oil before seizing to know it would be a long time & definately not 1 stump if it was tuned correctly & had no mechanical defects.
fangskt

Maybe so, but quite a bit of damage would occur. Actually seizing an engine takes a lot.

Maybe so, but quite a bit of damage would occur. Actually seizing an engine takes a lot.
Myself and several friends with 200 to 300hp drag outboards all ran Amsoil at 32to1 with 0 issues and also ran Amsoil lower unit lube with 0 issues. I disagree with the Amsoil not being a good oil but not at 100to1. But in my chainsaws it burn dirty pretty quickly with depoists so I quit using it and switched to 800t then this then that!! Lol! So far I like 800t, r50, k2, and trying HP2 now

Latest posts

Back