661 or not

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatscooking

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking to add to the fleet. Have located a 661 that the story goes a customer ordered a fuel injected Stihl but it was taking some time to arrive at the dealer so they went ahead and bought a 661 and then the injected saw showed up so the traded the 661 back in. Of course only half tank of fuel through the 661 and it looks like it. Quoted me $ 1100.00. Seems a little mickey hokey to me but there it is. Unsure how to proceed or not.

That's a good price for the saw. If you like stihl a lot and want a saw that size go for it, just make sure it has a build date within the last year 1/2 to make sure it has all the updates. If you're not set on a Stihl, I personally prefer the 395xp, simple and built like a tank.
thumbnail_IMG_0028.jpg

661 more refined, 395, a big old thumper

I like them both. The chain adjuster on the 395 can be a pita though

It it is technically a used saw; you didn't mention the bar size so if it comes with a long bar, decent price. I paid $1,125 for a new 661R.

I'm interested in where your dealer's distributor is, because in ECI there are zero sightings of the 500i

$1100 seems a little step to me. Like Tom said See how many hours are on the saw. I’d also make sure you get full warranty.

I have rebuilt two Stihl MS 661 M-tronic saws that were run over by 3/4 ton pickup trucks. Each required over $500 in parts and 12 hours of work. The cases, flywheels, and top ends were still intact and the engine compression was still good on both. How that was possible I do not know, because not much else was salvageable. Regardless, after my work was complete, both engines started and ran as if new.

The dealer who begged off on the repair but ordered the parts shook his head and could not believe it. The owner is my good friend and I charged him nothing for my labor. He figured I saved him about two grand. Both saws run today after two years of commercial operation. Here's a Pic of one of the two saws:
Stihl MS 661 C Repaired.jpg
I doubt you would want to have seen the before Pic.

Looking to add to the fleet. Have located a 661 that the story goes a customer ordered a fuel injected Stihl but it was taking some time to arrive at the dealer so they went ahead and bought a 661 and then the injected saw showed up so the traded the 661 back in. Of course only half tank of fuel through the 661 and it looks like it. Quoted me $ 1100.00. Seems a little mickey hokey to me but there it is. Unsure how to proceed or not.
$1025 here with the flush cut handle and small cover.

View attachment 846688

661 more refined, 395, a big old thumper

I like them both. The chain adjuster on the 395 can be a pita though

It it is technically a used saw; you didn't mention the bar size so if it comes with a long bar, decent price. I paid $1,125 for a new 661R.

I'm interested in where your dealer's distributor is, because in ECI there are zero sightings of the 500i
Friend of mine Indianapolis said his dealer has 500i's. They are in select markets around the country now. Some close enough to Virginia, I had gotten one instead of my 462.

Back