661 weaker than 660 in aus, how will sales go?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
l'd love to hear from someone who has put the upgrade kit on a 201. I heard the kit was $60+USD so us fellas in oz will be looking at several hundred! l hope the kit ain't dearer than the saw.lol Snelling got my rearhandle 201 to run well. l still like my 200 though :) they are an angry little saw.

The kits are $50 aud. for that you get a new carburetter with a revised low speed jet, fly wheel that has had the timing advanced 4 or 6' I can't remember and an ingition unit the has a modified curve and limiter raised to 14,200. I just got a mk2 in today and will fire her up tomorrow and see how it goes

Tuning is automatic on these M-tronic puppies now. Though I suppose they can re-tune them with software now for HP rating purposes. As for what year? That's a good one. In a reply last month to my query about when the 661 would be available in the states:

Thanks for your E-mail and your interest in STIHL products.
According to the information I have here the MS661 should be released around Aug-Sept 2014.
I hope this helps and if I can be of any further assistance, please let me know.

Sincerely,
Mark O’Briant
STIHL Inc. Technical Advisor

Heard the same for us down under.

Ha! Like your beloved 540 and 543 that came out on time and as great as anticipated. sweet...
The 543 was slated for release 01 May 2014 in Canada, guess what it was available yesterday. Never had any love for the top handle saws, and would much prefer to run a 192/200 (if I really had to) vs the T540 or MS201T.

Well i still have my 660 not selling it. As far as a new 661 ill see when they come out. I am not yet a fan of electronics in my saws. Carbs may be old school but they work. A 660 is thirsty but she will run the whole day for you just feed it gas. Also i love the screw caps. Time will tell

The kits are $50 aud. for that you get a new carburetter with a revised low speed jet, fly wheel that has had the timing advanced 4 or 6' I can't remember and an ingition unit the has a modified curve and limiter raised to 14,200. I just got a mk2 in today and will fire her up tomorrow and see how it goes
i fitted one the outher day wow what a difference i recommend everyone go and grab one from your dealer

This is good news and a reasonable upgrade for any 201 owner..l had Snelling advance timing 6° & muff modd my 201R/handle before l ever used it as l bought it in the US. l have a Stihl lightwieght 14" bar on mine and for its intended use it's a good little light runner. Only complaint is when swapping chains there is not as much room as my 200t and is a bit fidely. Weather this kit would improve my saw after mods....l dunno but for $50 it may be worth finding out. BTW benne* your sig saw is a big as you.lol

This is good news and a reasonable upgrade for any 201 owner..l had Snelling advance timing 6° & muff modd my 201R/handle before l ever used it as l bought it in the US. l have a Stihl lightwieght 14" bar on mine and for its intended use it's a good little light runner. Only complaint is when swapping chains there is not as much room as my 200t and is a bit fidely. Weather this kit would improve my saw after mods....l dunno but for $50 it may be worth finding out. BTW benne* your sig saw is a big as you.lol
the flywheel is only advanced 4deg

Yeh I couldn't remember if it was 4 or 6 but I checked the ti and yeh it's 4. Wouldn't mind putting one of those modules on my ms 150 t as I hits it 12,800 limiter easy even in the cut on small stuff
yeah for the price ots worth getting a few just a carby isnt cheap

Yeh the old 090 with a 6ft GB bar

It certainly doesn't run like it. I installed a kit on a saw and it didn't run any different at all. Save your money and do the mods I've outlined. They're still needed even with this kit.

It certainly doesn't run like it. I installed a kit on a saw and it didn't run any different at all. Save your money and do the mods I've outlined. They're still needed even with this kit.

I have heard some pretty good feedback about these kits Brad. A few guys I know that have installed the kits and also run the new Mk2 201T's have been pretty happy with the performance. Not sure what's happened in your case but so far they seem like a reasonable improvement.

Back