661 weaker than 660 in aus, how will sales go?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrygrey382

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was very surprised when I saw the 661 has .3 less HP than the 660. I don't need to buy either, but surely this will give people the sh*ts, I know it would me if I went to buy a 90cc saw (stihl is only option for a long way here) and found they now put out a good deal less power than they used too...

I'm sure they're a smooth nice handling saw but it's not the best start to a new model when they list the power (probably the most looked at spec) as less than the model they're replacing.

P1030339_zps34eb7c69.jpg

Here in the states they did away with the DP Magnum 660, and the 660 here only has 7 HP, so the 661 is a bump in HP. In Canada and Oz, they still have the older 'real' Magnum DP muffler covers, but anyone can order one and pop them on here for the added power. The 661 has a lot of new features, including M-tronic, smooth spring loaded AV, new/better oil pump, and better AF. People that ran them liked them.

As for the best start, the original 661s were withdrawn in the US, UK and EU, and production was stopped on them. Not the best rollout of an enterprise product line. Word is that the cylinders had some serious issues and were failing in a high number of saws so they are redesigning the jugs. They will be out again in the Aug/September timeframe here (according to Stihl USA).

As Windthrown says l think the big difference in the 661 will be in AV, Mtronic, strato engine design, FUEL ECONOMY, cleaner exhaust gasses and a broader more usable powerband. HP/KW ratings only tell part of the story. Mtronic alone would improve the 660 alot. l don't think half a cc is the culprit here but as the OP states it's a little dissapointing the HP rating has decreased. 660's do like to drink fuel.

Even though the 660 is a torquey beast I'm betting that the 661 has a fair amount more.
I haven't been too fond of the standard Stihl strato throttle response (including M-Tronic) however Stihl seems to be aware of the problem.
They recently released a 201T "Mk 2" kit with a few different goodies to get an out of the box 201T to run with a stock 200T. Apparently it includes a new coil setup and lightened/redesigned flywheel. At least Stihl listen to customer complaints as there was a massive backlash from Arborists who expected the 201T to be better than the old 200T. If they made the same mistake with the 661 compared to the 660 there would be riots on the street :)

l'd love to hear from someone who has put the upgrade kit on a 201. I heard the kit was $60+USD so us fellas in oz will be looking at several hundred! l hope the kit ain't dearer than the saw.lol Snelling got my rearhandle 201 to run well. l still like my 200 though :) they are an angry little saw.

l'd love to hear from someone who has put the upgrade kit on a 201. I heard the kit was $60+USD so us fellas in oz will be looking at several hundred! l hope the kit ain't dearer than the saw.lol Snelling got my rearhandle 201 to run well. l still like my 200 though :) they are an angry little saw.

Actually Benny reckons the kits are under AUD$80! Probably be the first time we haven't been butt raped on Stihl gear.

Actually Benny reckons the kits are under AUD$80! Probably be the first time we haven't been butt raped on Stihl gear.

Probably to stop them getting served through Fair Trading / ACCC under the Consumer Law..... make it cheap enough for it to not be worthwhile bothering.

matt the last thing we need is less power and grunt so i hope your right.

Probably to stop them getting served through Fair Trading / ACCC under the Consumer Law..... make it cheap enough for it to not be worthwhile bothering.

Fair Trading and the ACCC unfortunately have no say in RRP or what dealers charge. If Stihl Australia own the stock then they can certainly set pricing.
In agricultural chemicals the only way we can have set pricing is with "Agency" stock. The chemical companies actually own the stock, all we do is therefore hold and "on sell" it for them.

matt the last thing we need is less power and grunt so i hope your right.

I can't see it happening Darren. If Stihl go backwards on a 660 replacement there will be hell to pay.
I don't think Husky have gone backwards on any of their pro saws when going to a newer model. I'd be pretty sure Stihl learnt their lesson from the 201T after the backlash and public flogging they got from arborists.
Loggers will be rampaging through the streets if they get this wrong :D I might even join them :)
Everybody will start buying Chinese 660's!

Fair Trading and the ACCC unfortunately have no say in RRP or what dealers charge. If Stihl Australia own the stock then they can certainly set pricing.
In agricultural chemicals the only way we can have set pricing is with "Agency" stock. The chemical companies actually own the stock, all we do is therefore hold and "on sell" it for them.

I meant about the 200 "fix" / upgrade kits and new being mk 2 spec..... if the price was too high, some would try the not fit argument to get rectification free. As opposed to the comment about the kit being $US60 or $AU700..... if the core product isn't working right......

Put it this way - if your Ford only worked on Mondays, and wouldn't start Tuesday, only went in reverse Wednesday, ran the heater full bore Thursday, put the windows down and wouldn't unlock the doors on Friday - would you pay Ford for 4 upgrade kits ????
Or expect it to be fixed for you?

Mind you - it is a Fix Or Repair Daily.......

As mentioned above the Australian MS660 comes standard with the dual port exhaust cover so has a bit more HP than other countries.

Thank you for your clarification!

I never thought the dual port muffler adds .5 HP!

Edit: And the US version is only 7.0hp :dizzy:

Edit 2: OK, specs are just ridiculous. The french 362 CM is lighter and stronger than the US one (not the "CM-Q" version, if i trust Stihl.

I meant about the 200 "fix" / upgrade kits and new being mk 2 spec..... if the price was too high, some would try the not fit argument to get rectification free. As opposed to the comment about the kit being $US60 or $AU700..... if the core product isn't working right......

Put it this way - if your Ford only worked on Mondays, and wouldn't start Tuesday, only went in reverse Wednesday, ran the heater full bore Thursday, put the windows down and wouldn't unlock the doors on Friday - would you pay Ford for 4 upgrade kits ????
Or expect it to be fixed for you?

Mind you - it is a Fix Or Repair Daily.......

Ah ha. Gotcha. Same thing happened a while back with MS880's sucking wood dust and blowing up. A few guys successfully challenged Stihl that it was a warrantable fix and Stihl ended up fixing/replacing saws and fitting the "Extreme Conditions" filter kits for free. Now we have the HD2's that isn't an issue anymore.
For Stihl to issue an upgrade for the 201T shows that they have acknowledged there is a problem and after all it was marketed as a "new" 200T version. Professional users obviously took Stihl's word for it and quickly realised it was a turd.
Your Ford analogy actually sounds a lot like my D40 Navara that I ended up selling...

Thank you for your clarification!

I never thought the dual port muffler adds .5 HP!

Edit: And the US version is only 7.0hp :dizzy:

Edit 2: OK, specs are just ridiculous. The french 362 CM is lighter and stronger than the US one (not the "CM-Q" version, if i trust Stihl.

For a while some of the US delivered Stihl saws were tuned far too lean to satisfy EPA requirements unlike most other countries. The M-Tronic versions are rumoured to be the same worldwide.
Somebody probably got the HP to KW and pound to kilogram conversions wrong :)

I can't see it happening Darren. If Stihl go backwards on a 660 replacement there will be hell to pay.
I don't think Husky have gone backwards on any of their pro saws when going to a newer model. I'd be pretty sure Stihl learnt their lesson from the 201T after the backlash and public flogging they got from arborists.
Loggers will be rampaging through the streets if they get this wrong :D I might even join them :)
Everybody will start buying Chinese 660's!
I'm not sure Stihl didn't go backwards with the 660

Well, in the end it still seems a bit disappointing this 661. Hopefully Husqvarna and Dolmar will do better for the next generation. For now I will choose a 390 XP eyes closed.

If only Stihl could make a new "064 MTronic" with A/V springs and the same weight ...it would be an amazing saw:(

Back