75cc Swedish-Made Pro Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sure I will take a ton of heat for sayin this..........
Why doesn't Baileys just send a 346xp and a 372xp over to China, let them do some reverse engineering, and start producing copies of these saws that could be marketed for 1/3 of the Husky price?
It has been done with the Oregon 511A
This Northern copy
is now available for less than 1/3.

Also been done with the Honda 6.5 HP motor
This Harbor Freight copy is now available for less than 1/3.

Most guys dont seem to mind spending less than 1/3 of their $ even though we all know the quality is gonna be down just a bit from the top shelf stuff. Patents seem to mean nothing to the Chinese so why stop short of copying a few good saws.
Let me be the first to say that I think the whole idea of cheesing a manufacturers design, manufacturing low-cost copies, and then basically marketing the discounted item to their potential customers all while riding the good following created by the genuine product has got to be some of the shadiest business ethics imagineable. However, its happening EVERYWHERE, and no-one seems to mind enough to stop purchasing the crap. I am as guilty as the next guy. I own the Northern sharpener, a couple of the Honda clones, and a ton of chinese tools that are copies of the real deal. At first I resisted due to the poor quality however although the quality is still not top notch, the China crap has come a long way in the last 10 years. I only have so much to spend on my "toys" and if I can buy stuff for 1/3 of the cost then I need to at least look at that option for my lightly used stuff. I hate to see good companies that are producing good products be undercut by the chinese but if any company ever asked for it, it's Husky with their halted internet sales.
Go ahead and fire away at me. I have broad shoulders and I can take it but most of you know that if you could buy a 346XP clone for $150 and a 372XP clone for $200 most of you would own one of each.
READY, AIM....................

woodheater I am sure I will take a ton of heat for sayin this..........
Why doesn't Baileys just send a 346xp and a 372xp over to China, let them do some reverse engineering, and start producing copies of these saws that could be marketed for 1/3 of the Husky price?
This Northern copy is now available for less than 1/3.

Chinese copies of the 372's already exist. Have a customer's 365 copy in the shop now. It's a HUSHCVANA 6500

Last edited:
I'm tellin...........

As soon as I get enough of the right words on the back of my fortunes to tell somebody......

I am sure I will take a ton of heat for sayin this..........
This Northern copy
is now available for less than 1/3.

Also been done with the Honda 6.5 HP motor
This Harbor Freight copy is now available for less than 1/3.

Most guys dont seem to mind spending less than 1/3 of their $ even though we all know the quality is gonna be down just a bit from the top shelf stuff. Patents seem to mean nothing to the Chinese so why stop short of copying a few good saws.
Let me be the first to say that I think the whole idea of cheesing a manufacturers design, manufacturing low-cost copies, and then basically marketing the discounted item to their potential customers all while riding the good following created by the genuine product has got to be some of the shadiest business ethics imagineable. However, its happening EVERYWHERE, and no-one seems to mind enough to stop purchasing the crap. I am as guilty as the next guy. I own the Northern sharpener, a couple of the Honda clones, and a ton of chinese tools that are copies of the real deal. At first I resisted due to the poor quality however although the quality is still not top notch, the China crap has come a long way in the last 10 years. I only have so much to spend on my "toys" and if I can buy stuff for 1/3 of the cost then I need to at least look at that option for my lightly used stuff. I hate to see good companies that are producing good products be undercut by the chinese but if any company ever asked for it, it's Husky with their halted internet sales.
Go ahead and fire away at me. I have broad shoulders and I can take it but most of you know that if you could buy a 346XP clone for $150 and a 372XP clone for $200 most of you would own one of each.

Dolmar’s line up has already been cloned, but it’s another German company that did that.:cheers:
Baileys sells that brand to! (Note to self don’t P.O Bailey’s):buttkick:
Rumor has it that the parts are going to be just as hard to get as Dolmar’s. but since Baileys and 166/CuttinScott and other sponsors on this site, I’m not to worried about parts.:hmm3grin2orange:

Dolmar’s line up has already been cloned, but it’s another German company that did that.:cheers:
Baileys sells that brand to! (Note to self don’t P.O Bailey’s):buttkick:
Rumor has it that the parts are going to be just as hard to get as Dolmar’s. but since Baileys and 166/CuttinScott and other sponsors on this site, I’m not to worried about parts.:hmm3grin2orange:

Got news for you......the development for the Dolmar 5100 series and the 6400-7900 series was a joint effort between the two companies and Dolmar stiffed Solo on sharing the parts between the two brands.

Wait till you guys get a load of the new Dolmar pricing

Got news for you......the development for the Dolmar 5100 series and the 6400-7900 series was a joint effort between the two companies and Dolmar stiffed Solo on sharing the parts between the two brands.

Wait till you guys get a load of the new Dolmar pricing

I knew that would raise some eyebrows! I really don’t care who puts there name on those saws.
Solo change some things on them, which more than likely improved an already good product.
Either way I win, because I like the saws whether it’s called Solo or Dolmar.
Dolmar should have left the internet sales alone. Keep those prices reasonable and I’ll keep buying!
:cheers:

woodheater said:
Most guys dont seem to mind spending less than 1/3 of their $ even though we all know the quality is gonna be down just a bit from the top shelf stuff.

The chinese copies of the Honda engines aren't just a bit down from top shelf on quality, they're absolute junk! In the long run those engines will only cost the user more money than the original quality Honda because of breakdowns, repairs, parts, and lost productivity. One of the ways the American dollar is being devalued is through of a flood of foreign junk that's being imported.

My neighbor bought a water pump from HF. The first one wouldn't start, so I checked it out for him and discovered it had no spark. The second one fired right up, but quickly started to leak water from the pump housing. After tightening the bolts on the housing it ran fine for about ten minutes than it suddenly stopped, like someone hit the kill switch, and it wouldn't restart. Neighbor got a full refund, but he wasted a whole day messing with this junk. Point of the story, don't wast your time with this HF junk.:cheers:

I have to agree w/ Jacob J. 1/3 the price to get 1/3 the quality & reliability just makes no sense. The quality of a country's products seems to improve w/time & consumer pressure. After WWII, the Japanese had a hard time selling their junk in the US, so they re-named a city USA( pronounced oosah over there).W/ time & consumer demands, they produced vehichles & products that set a new standard for the whole world & forced our own Big 3 Auto makers to quit selling us junk( I used to work on a Ford assembly line in '65).If we quit buying Chinese(as opposed to Taiwanese) products,they will succumb to the economic pressure & so will Wallyworld.We are making the Chicoms the richest country in the world at the expense of the American way of life & jobs. Supporting their total dishonesty & lack of integrity in patent & copyright infringement hurts every honorable nation in the Free World.If we keep on this path, in time it will be cheaper to manufacture in the US than the 3rd World Nations we have sent Trillions of $ to. I beg of you to support our sponsors & all the Americans that are employed by them, & stop buying Chicom junk! oh ya sumi na sai

Still very interested to see what the plate say!

Would it be possible to get a better pic of that?

Original or china made... Well as long as the price is right for what you get, I don't care. If I get a low grade product for high grade price I do care... a lot!

Clones are 1/3-1/2 price for several reasons.

Got news for you......the development for the Dolmar 5100 series and the 6400-7900 series was a joint effort between the two companies and Dolmar stiffed Solo on sharing the parts between the two brands. ....

That is about how I remember it as well..........:)

Dolmar does the same thing with the Makita badging...

That is incorrect. The Dolmar/Makita badging is the same as Husky/JRed or for that matter Chevy/GMC. Related entities deciding how they wish to do market and distribute trademarked and patented products THAT THEY OWN.

Baileys is attempting to circumvent Husky's no internet sales restriction by cutting s side deal with a company that Husky never thought it would be competing directly against in the commercial/homeowner saw business when it entered into its arrangement.

The chinese copies of the Honda engines aren't just a bit down from top shelf on quality, they're absolute junk! In the long run those engines will only cost the user more money than the original quality Honda because of breakdowns, repairs, parts, and lost productivity. One of the ways the American dollar is being devalued is through of a flood of foreign junk that's being imported.

Don't get started on that one! If China wasn't financing the :censored: Bush admin, we wouldn't have too put up with the junk. :chainsaw: Wait till the bills come due on the war! Ok, enough venting....I'll go too the political thread.....:greenchainsaw:

I am as guilty as the next guy. I own the Northern sharpener, a couple of the Honda clones, and a ton of chinese tools that are copies of the real deal. At first I resisted due to the poor quality however although the quality is still not top notch, the China crap has come a long way in the last 10 years. I only have so much to spend on my "toys" and if I can buy stuff for 1/3 of the cost then I need to at least look at that option for my lightly used stuff.

I would not. Absolutely not. When we buy this stuff, we are placing our free market stamp of approval on the destructive process by which this stuff enters our goods stream. We vote every time we plunk down our money.......Please rethink the lure of short-term individual material advantage.:(

would not. Absolutely not. When we buy this stuff, we are placing our free market stamp of approval on the destructive process by which this stuff enters our goods stream. We vote every time we plunk down our money.......Please rethink the lure of short-term individual material advantage.

+1 +1........
Our grandchildren, or likely children, are going to hate us when the charge bills come due.
War or not, thats a small drop int eh bucket of trade deficit to china....

Back