7900 woods ported saw...finished!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well fella's I started the 7900 for the first time today by myself, there was no one around to make sure I didn't:) 15 lbs in compression sure makes a bit of difference on the old pull rope! I took it to the log pile and cut about 30-40 cookies with it one after another in 16" of less pin and red oak. I had a 16" bar with new RSC on it, all I can saw is wow! I couldn't pull hard enough to stop the saw from cutting with a 8 pin and I tried as hard as my abdomen would let me, I could slow it down but it would not stop pulling, I even dogged in over the top and went down and it just eats wood. I can't wait to take it to the woods, I got a date with some Red Elm:cheers:

Glad to hear you're at least up to handling a saw. . . That means your guts are healing. :clap:

I'd like to see that 7900 with a 32" in some pine, larch, or fir! . . Just to see the difference in softwood? Being as that's what we got here.

Stock it ran pretty close with my 066, I know Levi has ported his and piped it so it should be a good run. We'll see I'm sure of that:)

Glad to hear you're at least up to handling a saw. . . That means your guts are healing. :clap:

I'd like to see that 7900 with a 32" in some pine, larch, or fir! . . Just to see the difference in softwood? Being as that's what we got here.

Yes I'm healing up good, I can do a lot more than I could do a week ago so hopefully in another month I will be cutting LIGHTLY again.

I don't think I've ever cut a pine or soft wood, other than what we consider soft hardwoods. SOuds like its a whole new ball game though. I will put a 32 on it soon and find something big to cut, I just need a vid camera first:cheers:

Well I'll let anyone run it, for a $1 a run! I figure after a couple hundred trys the porting will have paid for itself:)

Last edited:
Well I'll let anyone run it, for a $1 a run! I figure after 200 trys the porting will have paid for itself:)

Well the ones were sure flying around here at the GTG, I think I still got a few left....... the line starts here boys. :laugh:

Yes I'm healing up good, I can do a lot more than I could do a week ago so hopefully in another month I will be cutting LIGHTLY again.

I don't think I've ever cut a pine or soft wood, other than what we consider soft hardwoods. SOuds like its a whole new ball game though. I will put a 32 on it soon and find something big to cut, I just need a vid camera first:cheers:

Our Doug fir is about as hard as it gets, maybe sometimes larch. . . Both depends on whether or not the tree grew fast or slow, or if it was on a ridgeline or blocked from the wind.

If the tree struggled to grow, it'll have super tight growth rings, meaning it'll be a lot more dense. . . Which makes for harder cutting.

Dead Larch is kind'a a weird duck. . . You'll throw 1/2 chips on some fir, and go to cuttin' a Larch, and the saw chips come out all fiber like.

You'll have to come out west some day and go to cutting. :cheers:

Well the ones were sure flying around here at the GTG, I think I still got a few left....... the line starts here boys. :laugh:

Hahaha. yeah I think that was the largest collection of ones I've seen at once outside a nudie bar. The guys couldn't get them out of their wallets fast enough:laugh:

Yeah I came back to work Monday, worked 2 full days and hurt really bad Wednesday, took Wed. off and worked yesterday all day, I'll see how today goes seems a little aggravated already, but it's progress. :clap:

Yeah I came back to work Monday, worked 2 full days and hurt really bad Wednesday, took Wed. off and worked yesterday all day, I'll see how today goes seems a little aggravated already, but it's progress. :clap:

I know exactly how that feels. Your mind is ready to go back to work and to be "done with recovering" The body has different ideas though.

Gink: looks from the videos that you are using two different bars? Or, maybe it is just the same bar flipped over and put on upside down. Are you using the same chain in both videos? What type of chain is it?

Take care and heal up fast.

He told me it was the same bar and chain used in all the video's I posted. I would guess the bar was upside down on that one video, I see what your talking about though. I don't know what chaijn he was using but that Saturday I did look at it and it was a round ground Oregon chain, what model I do not know. It had a good edge on it though and wasn't dull by any means!

Now in this video it definitely has a different bar and chain on it:)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FxcnlkYjlWE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FxcnlkYjlWE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Now in this video it definitely has a different bar and chain on it:)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FxcnlkYjlWE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FxcnlkYjlWE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That's a thing of beauty, Gink!!!

Back