7900 woods ported saw...finished!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That thing is moving, it even sounded a little rich.:bowdown:

Yes there is more yet, it is a bit Fat there, also it is running a 7 pin in that video, I put a 8 pin on it that day I was there and it went a bit faster, I think 1 cut time on that video were 1.50 with a practice chain and it got down to the low 1.20's that Saturday with the other bar and chain (round ground) I really don't know what it will do with a good chain and 9 pin but we'llbeafind'nout pretty soon:D

nice saw gink

still waiting on the video with the 30" bar, 7 tooth, and full comp cutting a
30" hardwood. :)
i have no doubt that it will outperform a stock 7900, but i want to see by how much!!!:chainsawguy:

i have no doubt that it will outperform a stock 7900, but i want to see by how much!!!:chainsawguy:

You skeptics are killing me here:laugh: If it is faster in small wood why wouldn't be faster in bigger wood? In that video's do you here much RPM drop when it's in the wood, I don't here much at all, so it's not falling flat on it face half way through the cut, it will run a big bar just fine I"m sure, but if you want to send me your 7900 Power head I will be glad to do a comparo of both on 30" hard wood, once I find something that big to test in, I don't have wood that size at my disposal in my back yard, but if I come across something I'll do such a vid.

You skeptics are killing me here:laugh: If it is faster in small wood why wouldn't be faster in bigger wood? In that video's do you here much RPM drop when it's in the wood, I don't here much at all, so it's not falling flat on it face half way through the cut, it will run a big bar just fine I"m sure, but if you want to send me your 7900 Power head I will be glad to do a comparo of both on 30" hard wood, once I find something that big to test in, I don't have wood that size at my disposal in my back yard, but if I come across something I'll do such a vid.
Frank come on over i have some oak that will give your 7900 a test

I don't think it's being skeptical Gink. When Brad modded my 7900 he stated around 15% gains but in larger wood with a 32" bar it showed a much bigger improvement over my stock 7900. Some people just like big bars and I suppose because it is classed as a work saw would like to see it in decent sized wood. Awesome saw regardless and as you mentioned I don't think a 32" bar will pose any problems at all ;)

I4 Quad-4 1000hp @17000RPM

I'm thinkin' this 7900 puppy has a version of the original quad-4 integral head 4cyl I read about years ago... around 1000hp at 17000rpm IIRC.
yup... that's gotta be it!
:laugh::laugh:

It's obvious the builder has taken this saw to near the edge of known performance. I"ll bet it took many many saws taken past the edge to find it reliably.

It rocks, and time will tell how durable it is... but then, we can say that about any saw! look at the old beasts still pullin' chain! and some of the newer ones pulling chain like they were new.. with (hundreds? thousands?) of hours one them. How many hours would a pro logger put on? how many a miller?
All I can say is WOW! What a video! I hope it holds on for years, as then it's money well spent! a faster cutting saw is easier on my back.

I hope to learn enough from you guys to put some extra pop in some of my saws!

don't stop!

I don't think it's being skeptical Gink. When Brad modded my 7900 he stated around 15% gains but in larger wood with a 32" bar it showed a much bigger improvement over my stock 7900. Some people just like big bars and I suppose because it is classed as a work saw would like to see it in decent sized wood. Awesome saw regardless and as you mentioned I don't think a 32" bar will pose any problems at all ;)

i believe that, A friend and I were talking about that also a while back. If the saw is out cutting a simliar saw in say a 10X10 cant and it a few tenths off pace, in bigger wood it going to a lot greater margin, I would think it should be a huge difference in big wood. I like big bars also and am very curious to see, but to be honest I could cut everything I do with a 24" easily, 20" for about 90% of my wood. The biggest tree I have tackled yet was a dead Ash(go figure:laugh:) that was around 48" near the ground. And I haven't really had the oppurtunity to cut big trees like that plus it is alot more work to cut and split a monster when I can cut 12-20" trees with a lot less handling and back busting work. But when I get a chance, and I will I have people that know I have bigger saws to handle larger tree's they will call. So give me time and you'll see a vid, not sure it will do anything but it will be fun to hear the comments again;)

Seeing that saw in a big log would be a treat.

I'm with you Frank, I could do 90% of my tree work with a 20" bar or less. BTW I just picked up a 42" B&C for my 084 today.:laugh:

Hopefully Bill will have some big logs again and you can run it first hand;)

For a dollar a run of course and I won't guarentee satisfaction.:biggrinbounce2:

But for you Andy the first run is free:D

I've heard that rumor, but I'll let him tell ya;) LOL

I had to PM him the other day and ask:laugh:

thanks mcw.
i suppose i wasn't clear and it may have sounded like i don't believe.
i do believe, brother gink!....
where do i send my check?:laugh:

as andyshine said above: it would be a real treat to see that saw in a bigger tree.

gink, as i said to you before, i want to see what it will do..... thats not to say i think it won't do it!

Latest posts

Back