7ft wide at 150 up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canyonbc

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am not sure how many people out their have seen the famous picture of the California Redwood in Fort Bragg...but i am pretty sure alot

there is a poster out there and in the First picture A. they are pushing out the V i guess you would call it. However in that tree it was so square any idea how they did that???

vertical bore cut?

i liked that poster in our shop so much that i ordered one for myself from Bailey's. it is a huge poster i have studied for hours now (over a period of years).
i always figured that they did two horizontal face cuts, then bored in vertically with the "smaller" of the two saws, and switched out for the larger saw when the smaller one was fully plunged.
make sense?

i thought soo

ya...i havent spent many hours too studying and just mesmorized by the tree and the drop..

i had figured they did something like you said, boring with the smaller saw...but i wasnt sure...

Is that a popular thing for people to do? on large trees??

For the 10 bucks or what ever it is from Bailey's its worth it...a great poster to have around

High Climbers and Timber Fallers

The wedge was cut by Jerry Beraneks Stihl 090 with an 84 inch bar. His book (title) is a great read with close-up pictures of this topping as it happened. Check this out...Jerry had his ankle in a cast at the time!
I'd love to see some of those trees one day!!!

Beaver

Can anyone put some of those pics on here???

Hey RAH!!!!

WTF happened to your hypnotic sig pic?????? ( imagine: bouncing, voluptuous, jogging cartoon smiley here )

I looked forward to your posts everyday....now it's just a bunch of moving letters....

Last edited:
Surely the pics have copy write protection. They are great pics well worth the price of the poster or better yet the book Timber Fallers and High Climbers, from Bailey's.
Usually a large block face like that is made by boring in between the top and bottom cut vertically from both sides, then driving wedges in to break out the cut. Some people will just bore in enough to set wedges because they feel that the natural split grain is stronger than sawing the back square.

The wedge was cut by Jerry Beraneks Stihl 090 with an 84 inch bar. His book (title) is a great read with close-up pictures of this topping as it happened. Check this out...Jerry had his ankle in a cast at the time!
I'd love to see some of those trees one day!!!

Beaver

84" bar? daaaaaaaammmmmnnnnnnn thats freaking huge! :jawdrop: prolly 1/2" chain too...?

Go to an ISA or TCIA convention and buy a drink after the dinner. Next thing you know it's 2 AM and you've had a night to remember.

Jerry is a very nice guy, and has friends all over, they stop by and the conversations go on all night long.

i only have the ones from the poster i got...i tried doing a search through google images..and keep up with nothing good

but for the 10 bucks or so that poster its worth it..

Latest posts

Back