80cc Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calebng15

Always lookin' for somthing to cut!
Reaction score
Just doin' a little thinking. What saw do y'all think for a 28in bar normally. I'm thinking 80-90cc. Something if I had to I could pull a 36in. I don't want a 372 or something that small. I have a 2100, but I'm thinking something a littler lighter for a 28in bar. It does have to be Husky! I like the idea of a 288, but not sure how hard parts are to get for it, and if they're expensive like the 2100. I do like the 2xx series though! Let me know what you thing. I know you will, so thanks in advance! :D

Maybe you want to reconsider a 372? Both of my ported 372's will pull a 36" bar buried in Doug Fir just as well as my stock 395 did, in side by side tests. And that fir wasn't all that soft. The only diffenerce was you could lean on the 395 slightly, and I mean slightly, more. There was no noticable difference in the speed of the cut. Put a lightweight 28" bar on a 372 and you have a perfect combo, on a ported one and you have a lazer.

Maybe you want to reconsider a 372? Both of my ported 372's will pull a 36" bar buried in Doug Fir just as well as my stock 395 did, in side by side tests. And that fir wasn't all that soft. The only diffenerce was you could lean on the 395 slightly, and I mean slightly, more. There was no noticable difference in the speed of the cut. Put a lightweight 28" bar on a 372 and you have a perfect combo, on a ported one and you have a lazer.
I actually like that idea mo better!

I've had a 181 since new, was my main saw when i worked as a bucker years ago, lighter and better rpm than my 298xp, very strong saw, i imagine 281 is the same but not sure of the differences, that would be my recomendation, cheers!

181 281 288 pretty much the same thing the 288 is 2mm bigger bore, but the 181 has a smaller combustion chamber and is said to make a lot more after cut squish and porting. I don't know first hand but that is what is said. Parts the 288s are starting to get not as availiable, but not hard look around Ebay Most of the 288s go pretty quick around here. I got to ask what are you using it for? Do you make your living with it or just a firewood hack who enjoys too many saws for the 8-10 cords you CSS a year!! A good running example stock for a 288 could be had for $400 give or take I have seen once recently here go for 250 IIRC?? Just keep your eyes open have cash ready and go!! I score me a bunch of 288s last year for a some, 3 complete enough parts to build 1.5-2 more. Just have to be in the right spot and be ready.

Brand new? Get one of the still new 288s as "spare parts" from the ad in the trading post/chainsaws (overseas), or hold out and whenever hooskie releases the new big autotune, whatever it might be called 572xpat.

Used, whatever the budget fits, just look for deals. big husky, big stihl, dolmar, echo, whatever.

In the classifieds now, there are the new (spendy, but you can get them) old timey classics, a ported 461, some others.

288 is not that hard to get parts for, and it is a great saw. My 385 does everything my 288 does, just a little stronger, and a whole lot smoother

The 385 jug is excellently ported stock (better than the 390), but the saw is choked up badly at both ends (carb and muffler). The 288 likely handles better, specially with heavy bars, as it has an outboard clutch.

Back