880 vs 084

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihltheOne

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I got CAS bad, what is the difference in the real world with these two big ones! I priced a new 880, quoted about $1600. I think that a good used saw could be had for around 50% of new. Whatta you guys think. Would be used on weekends for cutting big ol cottonwoods with a 42+ bar.
I need to stay with Stihl as I have a local dealer. I think I need to see a doctor about my CAS, Dr wood that is!! he he he:cheers:

I'd say 084. Cause they have a override oil pump button that puts out 2X as much oil when you press it. It is good for long bars, and dead dry wood. And it will be cheaper for an older saw. And 084's will GET IT DONE! That's why I also want an 084.:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

I went with a used but in good shape 088 because of the non-limited coil and fill caps. If I went with an 880 I would have had to purchase an 088 coil (required by EHP for a woods port). Plus the new caps on the 880 sux.

You do know that your 660 has plenty of power for cottonwood, which is very weak. Even with that big of a bar the 660 will have no trouble in that stuff. Its just like willow

I went with a used but in good shape 088 because of the non-limited coil and fill caps. If I went with an 880 I would have had to purchase an 088 coil (required by EHP for a woods port). Plus the new caps on the 880 sux.

But. did you actually get a non-limited coil...? many of the 088 were limited (mine included). The 084 I just sold was not limited.

Last edited:
I got CAS bad, what is the difference in the real world with these two big ones! I priced a new 880, quoted about $1600. I think that a good used saw could be had for around 50% of new. Whatta you guys think. Would be used on weekends for cutting big ol cottonwoods with a 42+ bar.
I need to stay with Stihl as I have a local dealer. I think I need to see a doctor about my CAS, Dr wood that is!! he he he:cheers:

Good
used 088/880 1/2 price? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL... not mine, and few I've seen.

For your use... won't matter what you get, but be careful.. lots of junk out there and they are really expensive to fix... I found that out the hard way.

Watch out for spun bearings and beaten out cases....

It's hard to imagine the EPA allowing a newer saw to squirt enough oil to keep a six foot bar happy in big timber. But then, it could be "just my imagination."

I bought an 084 or two because they're big, bad, burly (not like me) and beautiful. Interestingly, supposedly lighter than 088 or 880.
Found a 20 inch, old style big mount 3/8 pitch Stihl bar, new but stained from storage, for 20.00. What a limber that would be.. I hope I am able to start a saw that enormous! LOL

Starting is dead easy.. so long as you remember to check the decomp is IN after every pull... If you don't, you loose..

The EPA doesn't currently have a say in bar oil. In any case, the 088/880 and 084 gush like oil wells..

A 41 inch bar is short for an 084/088..

Last edited:
But. did you actually get a non-limited coil...? many of the 088 were limited (mine included). The 084 I just sold was not limited.
*sigh* good question since I have not put a tach on it. I’m sure Ed will determine weather or not I’ll need a different one….time will tell.

heck.. nothing money can't fix:givebeer:

Actually... Other then complicating tuning, it won't make any difference unless you intend to run more then 12K IN THE WOOD... and if you do it's just a toy.. not a work saw :popcorn:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back