A guy telling me his wildthing is fast just ran the 5100s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyM

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
After telling me how fast his wildthing was, I handed him the 5100s and pointed him toward the woodpile without saying anything. He made a couple cuts and handed it back. He didn't say a whole lot for some reason, just that it was smooth. Maybe he was feeling a little like his wildthing wasn't so fast anymore.

By the way, it's called a wildthing because your hands go numb after using it for 5 minutes.

Last edited:
I cant help but laugh. one who says a wildthing is fast, has clearly never run something of the caliber of our favorites.

Lawn Masters said:
I cant help but laugh. one who says a wildthing is fast, has clearly never run something of the caliber of our favorites.
Like the Harley guys that think they have a fast machine until they jump on a ZX-11. Hilarious.

Simonizer said:
Like the Harley guys that think they have a fast machine until they jump on a ZX-11. Hilarious.

A ZX-11 ain't much use to pull a plough, unlike a Milwaukee Tractor (Harley) ;)

GSXR boy here. :cool:

whats the difference between a harley and a hoover......................it just depends on where you put the dirt bag.

Maybe the Wildthings are fast? I heard a report that a guy that owned a 346xp ran the 5100s and couldn't hand over the cash fast enough. I would think that if the 5100s was really that fast compared to his wild thing he would have left with two of them. :p

I for now will leave the Stihl guys out of this so they can maintain the elitist status they think they have they are being quite because as of now those small mean Dolmar saws haven't turned their attention to the Stihl saws YET.

Appears to be a great little saw I hope the reliability is there so that service calls to a sparse dealer network are not required.

Doug

Well, he had a chainsaw with him with "Wildthing" on the side, but maybe he was talking about something else. Maybe that's why the Dolmar was so unimpressive!

eric_271 said:
If you are talking street yes. If you are talking pro stock bikes ALL the 2 strokes are sucking hind tit. ;)

I glad somewhere here appreciates the American Legend. I wouldn't sell my for the world. Buy a Jap bike and its worthless after 5-6 years. HD's have the best resale value of any item I have ever seen. Even better than a used chainsaw on ebay. :) I have had multiple friends buy new, ride for a couple of years, and sell for more than what they originally paid. Not too many products can manage that. Yes, they are a little on the slow side. I guess that depends on the phase of life you are in. ;)

asb151 said:
I glad somewhere here appreciates the American Legend. I wouldn't sell my for the world. Buy a Jap bike and its worthless after 5-6 years. HD's have the best resale value of any item I have ever seen.

really? whats 50% depreciation on 10 grand, and 25-40% depreciation on 20 grand? imo, they both go down the same money. re-sale is altogether different.
why buy a used jap bike for 5K, when a new one is 10, and you can pick it up today? Harley doesn't make enough bikes to keep up with damand, so their prices are kept artificially high.
That coupled with the 1-2 year waiting list around here. Not that I want one.

The Dolmar thing, who knows? I don't believe I've ever seen a dolmar. You can't get them here, so you darn sure can't get parts for them here. So, by virtue of lack of dealers- no thanks.
-Ralph

begleytree said:
really? whats 50% depreciation on 10 grand, and 25-40% depreciation on 20 grand? imo, they both go down the same money. re-sale is altogether different.
why buy a used jap bike for 5K, when a new one is 10, and you can pick it up today? Harley doesn't make enough bikes to keep up with damand, so their prices are kept artificially high.
That coupled with the 1-2 year waiting list around here. Not that I want one.

The Dolmar thing, who knows? I don't believe I've ever seen a dolmar. You can't get them here, so you darn sure can't get parts for them here. So, by virtue of lack of dealers- no thanks.
-Ralph

IMO, resale is the only thing that really matters. An item is worth what people are willing to pay. Sure they tune their production levels to keep demand up. Thay have it down to a science.
The wait thing is way overhyped. I have never seen anyone wait more than 6 months and that was for a rare model. Most dealers here have 20-25 unsold bikes on the shop floor 24/7.
Anyway, enough on Harleys. I agree with you on the Dolmar topic. I've been reading a lot and I am interested in the 7900. It sounds impressive. I have not checked on Dealer proximity. I would be willing to drive an hour or so. No more than that. If they are as good as advertised maybe more dealerships will open.

Last edited:
asb151 said:
I agree with you on the Dolmar topic. I've been reading a lot and I am interested in the 7900. It sounds impressive. I have not checked on Dealer proximity. I would be willing to drive an hour or so. No more than that. If there as good as advertised maybe more dealerships will open.

I just ran over to the dolmar usa site. That 9010 thing doesn't sound like much being about the same as a 066, but heavier and with less hp. The 7900 sounds like it would give the 046 a run for its money. interesting, I love the 046. the 510/5100, nah, I don't have much use for a saw in the 026 size range. I use the ms360 to bust brush from tops to chip, and it's too slow imo to cut the wood from the top itself up. It's strictly on brush duty, so I don't see me going any smaller, though it may be a great saw, I don't know.
and....the closest listed dealer is 2-2 1/2 hours away from here. thats out.
-Ralph

begleytree said:
I just ran over to the dolmar usa site. That 9010 thing doesn't sound like much being about the same as a 066, but heavier and with less hp.
-Ralph

Ralph, I have a Solo 694 which is the same saw as the Dolmar 9010. Stock it is not much to write home about. I opened up the muffler and the gains were good, felt more like an 066 that I used to own!

attachment.php

begleytree said:
I just ran over to the dolmar usa site. That 9010 thing doesn't sound like much being about the same as a 066, but heavier and with less hp. The 7900 sounds like it would give the 046 a run for its money. interesting, I love the 046. the 510/5100, nah, I don't have much use for a saw in the 026 size range. I use the ms360 to bust brush from tops to chip, and it's too slow imo to cut the wood from the top itself up. It's strictly on brush duty, so I don't see me going any smaller, though it may be a great saw, I don't know.
and....the closest listed dealer is 2-2 1/2 hours away from here. thats out.
-Ralph

My interest in the 7900 is primarily due to all the positive comments on this site. Up until recently I was looking at another Husky or a Stihl. I have quality Husky and Stihl dealerships 5 minutes from my house. That’s hard to ignore. Since I’m not in a big hurry I plan to investigate the Dolmar dealership issue a little more.

Rich, thats a good looking mod job. I wish my saws were that clean..... :blush:

begleytree said:
Rich, thats a good looking mod job. I wish my saws were that clean..... :blush:

Yeah, I have a lot of saws..........maybe too many...........I like to keep my stuff maintained. I don't do treework fulltime but at 25 to 30 hrs. a week ( at peak season ) it is as fulltime as parttime gets!

Back