a how many acres question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cedar hacker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Iv got stretch of land someone asked me to clear.i measured it right at a mile long and maybe 40 yds across.the across varys a bit but no more than probably 60 yds.how many acres would you guess it at.the people told me 5 acres but i just dont see it.

More like 15 acres.5280'(one mile)x120'(40 yards)/43500'(one square acre)=14.57acres.All work,bid high.

Yeah thats what i was thinking.more than 10 acres.i already open my mouth and said id do it thinking it was 5 acres.no problem 2 days.lol not.

Taking trees down & clearing are two completely different things. I always take a good cruise of the entire property and know how much land I'm working with before saying yay or nay.

Use this to outline the specific piece of land: Area Calculator Using Maps

Yes i agree clearing and cutting two different things.i do both but prefer just cutting. Exit plan being get an extra person and knock it out. Done it before.iv been hauling cedar off the ranch to sell.the owner asked me about it so i figured id do it for him.

Last edited:
Not sure what Texas has for rules but I would be checking those property lines very closely. That 40 yard wide slice of land can shrink pretty quickly if there are boundary buffer zone laws. And then there is slash-and abutting landowner damage laws to consider. Or is this a piece of of land in the middle of his property with no adjoining property owner.

Last edited:
I have no idea on the laws about it.but it is some 6000 acre private ranch and the government has some sort of cedar removal program.water conservation i think.

For those of you who don't know about Texas Cedar trees.....they really aren't trees. More like Juniper bushes. They can get pretty big and bushy, but the trunk usually only goes up a couple of feet and then the whole thing branches out in every direction like a bush. A large trunk is only about a foot in diamter. You don't need a very big saw.

Tony

I have no idea on the laws about it.but it is some 6000 acre private ranch and the government has some sort of cedar removal program.water conservation i think.

Yes... Where the western Red Cedar grows, (which is actually a juniper IIRC), nothing else does...
Including grasses and quail...
When you remove them, there's just a 30' diameter circle of nothingness....
But I LOVE to burn it....
Get any large enough to mill???

Back