A polished turd....What B & C?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmarti

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Ran my muffler modded, chain tensioner modded 4620 in some 18"-24" sections of cherry. We were cleaning up storm damage and thought I would give it a shot. It will keep the chain spinning now, but it certainly does not walk through wood. It is better than it was, but it is what it is :dunno:

I am going to give it to my future SIL for a saw to start with. It might be a decent thing to have around with an 18" or 16" bar, and better chain. All I know is oregon LP saftey chain and Stihl RSC. Anyone recommend a B & C combo that might help this out?

My son went home with my MS 290 to clean up his mess, so it may be time for me to get a real saw.

Ran my muffler modded, chain tensioner modded 4620 in some 18"-24" sections of cherry. We were cleaning up storm damage and thought I would give it a shot. It will keep the chain spinning now, but it certainly does not walk through wood. It is better than it was, but it is what it is :dunno:

I am going to give it to my future SIL for a saw to start with. It might be a decent thing to have around with an 18" or 16" bar, and better chain. All I know is oregon LP saftey chain and Stihl RSC. Anyone recommend a B & C combo that might help this out?

My son went home with my MS 290 to clean up his mess, so it may be time for me to get a real saw.

Ya, your instincts on the chain and bar are good. Did you pull limiters and richen things up? Regarding your 290, muff and carb treatments make that saw a pretty good runner also.

Imho the biggest drawback of that 4620 (besides the obvious stupid 'tool-less' chain tensioner) is the bar that comes with it.

This thing is just too small & underpowered to run a 20" bar effectively.

I have never even used mine with the bar - I immediately put a 16" on there (14" would probably even be better) and use it for limbing and felling very small trees/saplings.

Once people stop looking at it as a firewood saw (the thing's only like $200 new, right?) then I think they will see there's actually some value in this little machine. It runs every bit as well as my dad's ms170 and cost about 1/2 the price.

Now, full criticism to Poulan for first putting that ridiculous tensioning system on it and secondly marketing it as a bucking/felling saw (20" bar standard? what a joke) but if modified slightly, it can be an effective limbing saw.

Nothing wrong with the small throw away saws for small jobs or light limbing. I run a 021 that my Dad gave me for just that purpose. Light and cuts purty darn good for 36cc. It is in the truck awaiting a fishing trip as we speak. Taking the 021 over the new 460:givebeer:

Ya, your instincts on the chain and bar are good. Did you pull limiters and richen things up? Regarding your 290, muff and carb treatments make that saw a pretty good runner also.

Yep, both high and low were backed out a touch. I bought this reconditioned for 120$ to my door, for some dirty cuts and to experiment on. It will be something for the boy to have in the garage.

Any specifics on the 290 mod?

Yep, both high and low were backed out a touch. I bought this reconditioned for 120$ to my door, for some dirty cuts and to experiment on. It will be something for the boy to have in the garage.

Any specifics on the 290 mod?

Yeah there not bad once muffler modded and retuned for that kind of money.

I did a earlier version PP295 for my friend and we put a 16" pro lite bar with Oregon 20lp chain on it and it really sings up pretty good for what it is.

In fact it does a really nice job and is easy to run all day in smaller wood.

Muffler modded that saw does great in pine. 20" is optimistic but in pine it will do it. I've done it for a few years. Elm slows it down some but for the price you can't go wrong.

Latest posts

Back