a question for TimberWolf

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmurph

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Reaction score
Brian, you are the only person that i know for sure has a saw dyno. my question is if you have ever dyno'ed any of the older, big saws? the 125, 797, 1130, 090, & 166 are just a few that come to mind. most modern saws have power specs published, well, except for echo (jab, jab!!), but there are no numbers for the older iron.
on a related note, have you ever checked the stock numbers of newer saws against the mfg published numbers?

I have not yet put any older saws on the dyno.

Actually kind of on a holding pattern with it right now, data logger and software front end had caused me nothing but grief and am a bit strapped at the moment to throw a grand at the problem.

I do get HP numbers sligtly below factory spec on newer saws, but that does not surprise me as I am measuring HP at the wheels (Bar tip) so to speak. Also have not built in anything to account for windage on the dyno wheel nor bearing losses.

Maybe this will be a spring project.

So far yes, I am a good 10-20% low vs advertised specs.

Also Test conditions is an unknown, are thier numbers adjusted to sea level and a certain temp? Likely they are.

Weather station also is an upgrade I am looking at.

Back