A Tale of Three Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for those that care, the fluid capacities are as follows:
7900- 25oz fuel 13.5 oz oil
390- 28oz fuel 16 oz oil
660- 28oz fuel 12.2 oz oil

:confused: Wonder why the 660 has a smaller oil capacity?

:confused: Wonder why the 660 has a smaller oil capacity?

I always assumed the oil capacity had something to do with fuel usage. I know the 441 has a greater oil capacity than a 440 or 460 as you go longer between refuel/refill of the bar oil. This is just a guess, as I have know idea how the 660 and 390 compare in terms of fuel usage.

I always assumed the oil capacity had something to do with fuel usage. I know the 441 has a greater oil capacity than a 440 or 460 as you go longer between refuel/refill of the bar oil. This is just a guess, as I have know idea how the 660 and 390 compare in terms of fuel usage.

From what I under stand, they design it so the gas runs out first. But you shouldn't let the gas run out! LOL

So the 390 is better on fuel than the 660.
Another test to throw in the mix for ya Brad:hmm3grin2orange:

So the 390 is better on fuel than the 660.
Another test to throw in the mix for ya Brad:hmm3grin2orange:

This is just a speculation. I have no real world evidence of this. The only time I have run these models next to each other is at a GTG. They were both heavily modded and I didn't run a full tank through either of them.

I think that may be under utilizing those saws.

Depends on how there ported. If the intent was for small bars and speed the 390 will win every time. If the intent was for long bars and torque numbers the 660 is gonna hold its own, although he should have ordered the R model with the high output oil pump for that.:hmm3grin2orange:

Hmm, too long for the job! That's not what Brad said about your "Long Bar" our West Coast long bar, and your long bar is two totally different things. LOL! 28" is short around here LOL

LOL! I usually just run the 25" on the 441 but I have a 32" for those special occasions! I have buried it in oak, maple and pine a few times. I run a 30" on the J-red. Most of the time these bars are overkill in the east. What we give up in length we make up for in hardness of wood.LOL

The newer stihl saws don't pump out enough oil for my taste.

OH GEEZE the endless fun I could have with that one.

LOL! I usually just run the 25" on the 441 but I have a 32" for those special occasions! I have buried it in oak, maple and pine a few times. I run a 30" on the J-red. Most of the time these bars are overkill in the east. What we give up in length we make up for in hardness of wood.LOL

Hmmm, I usually burry my 36" 395, but alas most of the time soft wood. Oh well, whatever make you happy I guess. Just like trying to stuff a marshmallow in a piggy bank!!

I never weighed the 660 I had. It felt a lot heavier than the 390 but that shows that they are real close.

Back