A Tale of Three Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that may be under utilizing those saws.

A 32" on both stock would be rather "boring". Ported is when they will pull that size bar much better. I'd use a 8 pin on both, with either sized bar, stock and ported. 24" is better for a ported 70cc saw. The weight and handling of a 24"-25" matches the saw perfect. I'm going to predict the 660 drinks the most fuel, mine is a thirsty little :taped:.:D

I know my 660 and JTs 395 is more at home with a 36"-42" bar but how many of us run into 42" wood?:dizzy:

What a great test! Just in time to compare later when the new 660 (661?) comes out from Stihl. I've heard rumors of this from my Dealer and others.
And I'm sure Mr. Snelling will be right on top of any new 90cc saw available to give us the pros and cons, which I so much appreciate.
Thanks Brad.

Wow. Big thanks to Brad and Matt for sharing time and money on this comparison.

A big pre-thank you!

No problemo :cheers:

Anyway guys, I was always going to get my mitts on a 660 one day and am already in love with the 7900/7901's plus the 390XPG I have.

I've mentioned some of this in another thread but the plan is as follows...

I already have 2 modded 7900's. My older one has more power than my newer one (different porting from Brad) and I bought Brad's old 390XPG which is a bit of a weapon.
The tree job that I have been on for about 9 months now (I do this after hours - I actually also have a REAL job, sadly...) is ongoing and to be honest has paid for all of my CAD plus some. I'm in a lucky situation as in my area few people do what I do so you could say I have a near endless supply of trees :) Although most of the guys here are in the US if anybody ever wants to come out and drop a heap of trees with me they are always welcome. This forum is basically the only place I can associate with like minded chainsaw people. Nobody I know close by is even slightly interested in a "wood's port" or even knows what one is :)
At present I have dropped just on 8,500 trees on this one property (Casuarinas - an Australian native hardwood) ranging from around 12" to probably 44-48" at their widest point. I have about another 4,000-8,000 to go depending on what this particular corporate farm decide to do on their other properties.
The 7900's have been more than up to the task on this job and are an excellent saw. I'll sing their praises anyday and do very often on this forum as many of you would know.
A while back I asked Brad if he had any 2nd hand pro saws he'd be willing to sell. At the time my brother had been helping me out on a lot of domestic tree jobs I was doing and although I always split the proceeds with him 50/50 I planned on getting him a pro saw as I'd paid to put him through the same tree courses I'd done. My grand plan was, and still is to some extent, to up the ante and really get the tree felling paying for itself from a business sense - I just struggle to find the time as my daily job as a Senior Horticultural Agronomist means I am fielding questions from farmers/growers up to 14 hours a day, 7 days a week in busy periods. If I could earn the same money on a consistent basis felling trees I'd dump Agronomy in a flash...

Anyway, Brad mentioned he had a modded 390XPG and it was at a good price. The saw arrived and I just happened to like it a bit too much to give it to my brother :D After using it more and more on trees up to about 40" with bars up to 32" I have realised that the 390's are an excellent, well balanced saw, just like the 7900's except more powerful (compared to the 7900's I have now anyway ;) ). The more extensively modded 7901 in this thread is quite obviously significantly more powerful than my other two 7900's.
So here we are with 3 of my favourite saws (even though I have very little time on a 660 - just enough to know I liked it but that was just dropping it into logs a few years ago). Tree felling is far far different and is where you really work out fast whether you like a saw's balance or not.
I would have got these saws modded by Brad anyway so I told him to go nuts with videos and photos and tests etc etc and post away. He would have been testing them after mods anyway so why not share it around.
I'm going to enjoy this thread more than most :cheers:

By the way, I'll do a follow up with this thread when these saws get to Australia in a tree felling situation.
The plan is that I will sell one of my 7900's (keeping the 7901) and sell one of the 3 larger saws (390XP, 390XPG, MS660).
My grand pro saw plan is 2 x 200T's or 338XPT's (not a priority at the moment), my 5100-S, 2 x 7900/7901's, 2 x 90cc class saws, and of course my boat anchor Husky 3120. When running a business that incorporates tree felling it always pays to have two saws in each class if possible even though the 7900's and 390's sort of cross paths! The reason I'd stick with one 50cc saw (the 5100-S) is that my 7900's will do everything they can plus more. Also my other half loves that little saw! I'm yet to bring her back into line but she has said a few times it's "her" saw.
I have a feeling the 660 will be getting sold but hey, you never know. I might just be that impressed I sell the XPG. Time will tell.

Sorry for the long post but just thought I'd let you guys know that I'm not trying to win any "I've got the most modded saws" competitions. These saws are for a legit business and are tax deductible which allows me to spend a bit more on my chainsaw "hobby" than some other people.

P.S. Also many thanks to Brad who has had 1000's of my hard earned dollars transferred into his account and hasn't skipped town to Mexico...yet... :cheers:
As always he has been excellent to deal with and I sometimes wonder how he fits in all in. I've really been loading him up lately :)

Anyway, back to the real purpose of this thread. Those saws look awesome. MS660 in particular...

Last edited:
The 390xp....does it have a Jred brother?? 2188??

Al (AUSSIE1) mentioned that there is no HD filter kit available for the 2188 which means it won't keep up with the dust in some of the conditons I cut in. Trust me, the 2188 was right up on my list until I found that out ;)
for those that care, the fluid capacities are as follows:
7900- 25oz fuel 13.5 oz oil
390- 28oz fuel 16 oz oil
660- 28oz fuel 12.2 oz oil

Good info mate and something I'd forgotten to consider but is very important :cheers:

Brad, something is terrible wrong with your scale !

You forgot to switch to metric system !

I'm the same mate. Pounds and ounces don't mean much to me. I know the conversions but I still can't picture it in my hands :)

I think that may be under utilizing those saws.

Don't worry Nik, I'll sort the long bar tests out when they get here ;)

like trying to stuff a marshmallow in a piggy bank!!

Or the other one is like throwing a sausage down a hallway :D

I know my 660 and JTs 395 is more at home with a 36"-42" bar but how many of us run into 42" wood?:dizzy:

I run into 42" wood a bit but to be honest I only run a 24-32" bar to take it on.

You're probably going to do this anyway Brad but if possible take a few photos of the castings of both saws. Will be interesting to see if there is any difference in internal quality.

Last edited:
Everyday

A 32" on both stock would be rather "boring". Ported is when they will pull that size bar much better. I'd use a 8 pin on both, with either sized bar, stock and ported. 24" is better for a ported 70cc saw. The weight and handling of a 24"-25" matches the saw perfect. I'm going to predict the 660 drinks the most fuel, mine is a thirsty little :taped:.:D

this was the first real tree job I did. Almost all of it was done with a Husky 365 24" and 28" bars.

been running into trees like this and worse ever since.

The stock comparison video is processing now. All three saws pulled the same new Stihl RSC chain on a 24" bar with 7-pin rims. I made two cuts with each, one with normal cutting load, and one with max load. What do you think the outcome was?

When does the movie start? For some reason I am all giddy and excited like going to the track or a Packers game in Lambo. The stress is killing me.

Back