A Tale of Three Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any more info on the 660BB?

I'm still looking for an excuse to get a third powerhead.

It's been posted by Brad and I am awaiting it's arrival :) I'll get some decent vids in larger wood when it arrives!

By the way, you need no excuses ;)

OK gents. The news you have all been waiting for is here...

THE 660 ARRIVED TODAY :D

Whacked a 25" ES bar on it that I had, fitted an 8 pin sprocket (that circlip setup really does suck) started her up, whacked her in a big lump of Casuarina with the bar buried and RSC chain...and...

the 390XPG will be getting sold.

This thing has some serious nuts and a grunty exhaust note. Not an ear piercing crackle like the Huskies, just grunty. I did about 12 cuts and was smiling all the way.

I would have gotten a video but it was raining heavily and now my Ford Ranger work ute that was parked nearby has Casuarina chips stuck all over it. This is an impressive saw. I'll get vids up soon...

Well it sounds like the 660 impressed you too. I picked up a brand new one myself and really like it now.

OK gents. The news you have all been waiting for is here...

THE 660 ARRIVED TODAY :D

Whacked a 25" ES bar on it that I had, fitted an 8 pin sprocket (that circlip setup really does suck) started her up, whacked her in a big lump of Casuarina with the bar buried and RSC chain...and...

the 390XPG will be getting sold.

This thing has some serious nuts and a grunty exhaust note. Not an ear piercing crackle like the Huskies, just grunty. I did about 12 cuts and was smiling all the way.

I would have gotten a video but it was raining heavily and now my Ford Ranger work ute that was parked nearby has Casuarina chips stuck all over it. This is an impressive saw. I'll get vids up soon...

It's about time! What took so long for that saw to show up? I'm just glad it arrived safely.

since i dont have the time to scroll through 53 pages thought id ask a quick question. What where the final results, what you like most, whats the fastest, and what feels more comftorable

It's about time! What took so long for that saw to show up? I'm just glad it arrived safely.

Hi Brad.
I rang Australia Post about this and asked why it was taking so long. I thought our dreaded Customs had got their grubby mitts on it or something and were going to charge me import duties and taxes etc.
Apparently because of your dollar and the exchange rate there have been a massive amount of things being bought by other countries like Australia. There are a huge amount of parcels leaving the US for foreign countries so you guys have upped your security at the same time. There is up to a 3 week delay apparently. Same goes for China as most guys there run in US dollars too.

since i dont have the time to scroll through 53 pages thought id ask a quick question. What where the final results, what you like most, whats the fastest, and what feels more comftorable

Hi mate.
Out of all 3 saws the Makita was certainly the most impressive. As far as balance goes there isn't much in it between the Makita and the 390XP. The 660 felt a bit foreign in my hands however I'm going to hang on to this latest 660 for sure. If you were just running a 24" bar in hardwood I'd be reaching for the Makita but now that it has been sold the 390XP would be the more tempting saw. Above 24" I'd be reaching for the 390XP although in our hardwoods the filter is a bit average, letting through finer wood dust unless you oil it, which I've had to.

Last edited:
Quick video of my new 660 with pop up. This is super hard wood and despite how it looks the 7900 with BB kit in the video is quite powerful. Just obviously nowhere near the 660 :D I'll be keeping this 660. I'm already smiling and it quite simply flogs my ported 390 XP and XPG, as it probably should with extra cc and pop up :)

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1VrEQjYEgUs" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Also with the high output oiler it is drowning the chain on this 25" (really 24" but why Stihl call an 84DL chain 25" has me dumbfounded!)...

Ha there Matt welcome to Stihl world.
That 660 sounds great and looks the go in that concreate you call wood.
Know question time,what fuel and oil mix are ya using and what rpm is the 660 turning.

Cheers
Andrew
PS
Don't know what the go is with that 24'',25'' bar thing is,i have found with a 8 pin i use 85 d/links,make easier to put chains on and reduces the angle where the chain enters the bar groove as well reducing wear.

Ha there Matt welcome to Stihl world.
That 660 sounds great and looks the go in that concreate you call wood.
Know question time,what fuel and oil mix are ya using and what rpm is the 660 turning.

I knew you'd show up any minute mate!
Not sure what the 660 is turning in the cut but I believe Brad tuned it to 14,000rpm no load. I've only run 1/2 a tank through it so far but I have noticed it likes a drink! Heavy on the fuel that's for sure but heaps of grunt. I was going to put it up against my 3120 with same bar and chain but the Husky was still fitted to the mill and we had a massive storm coming (we copped 110mm of rain at my place in 8 hours - some neighbouring areas copped 220mm and massive flooding - by the way our annual rainfall is about 275mm!!!).
The only oil I have used for quite some time now is the Jakmax full synthetic made by ALCO in the US. For a while I was using Castrol TTS but the fumes from it were nasty. In the 3120 at 30:1 it was absolutely acrid and would burn your nostrils and make your eye's water (no joke).
This Jakmax gear is less than half the price and just as good. The two 7900's that I pulled down just recently had nicely lubricated pistons and bottom ends at 50:1.

Don't know what the go is with that 24'',25'' bar thing is,i have found with a 8 pin i use 85 d/links,make easier to put chains on and reduces the angle where the chain enters the bar groove as well reducing wear.

Yeah the 8 pin and 84DL was pretty tight on this 660 but manageable. Best bit is that the main bars I run on my 390's and 7900's are also 24" 3/8" 84DL .050" so I can easily just swap chains around.

Why do I need 5 saws that can easily run a 24" bar which is what I mostly use?

Good question and one I can't answer :D

Last edited:
Thanks Matt keep us posted,put your gum boots on and get into it.Iknow what ya mean about the rain getting a bit sick of it,but as the dairy farmers say its liquid money.:laugh::laugh:

Cheers mate

Nice video. The 660s seem to have more grunt than a 390 for sure.

Burvol found a K&N filter that will fit under the cover and uses an outerwear. Maybe I can get the part numbers from him and that might help you guys out over there with the filtration.

Back