A thousand clients....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My god Nick this is the opportunity of a lifetime. If I could work in the states I would move my wife and kids to Indy to do what your doing. Go out there and be a sponge....

kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place

I am still pondering whether or not I should go to katrina, The money is good the work sounds good, and im not really looking to relocate permanently. The other thing that makes me unsure is that the expenses of renting my place would eat up all my earnings, leaving me with very little money to save. One of my main goals in life is to have my own buisiness in N.Y. Im sorry if I am messing up anyones plans with my indecision, but I will have a definite answer for everyone by the end of today, again I apologize for my indecision.

You could call Henry IMMEDIATELY, tell him no thanks. There's a place down the street I saw, a sign out front that said 'Roommate needed, $350' It's nowhere near Broad Ripple, but it's still in the zone (far SE corner). Your ability to bring chicks home to your OWN PLACE would be greatly diminished. In fact, 350 house is across from an old folks home.

There are a TON of places up for rent right now. I scored you Henry's place because of the proximity to one of Indianapolis' coolest areas (and the scores of college chicks). The 350 house would be a much different existence. I really want you to have fun, and I don't want homesickness gnawing at you day after day. Avoiding potential roommate issues, another plus. Coming home to your own place, no one else's mess, that would be how I'd like to move into a strange town.

However, it is your decision. You mention the rent eating up all your earnings. I'll remind you, you don't know what you'll earn. you only know the minimum you'll earn, and that's 160 hours x $15 per month. Whatever that equals, it still blows past your rent by a long shot. Let me get a calculator....... $2,400. That's your minimum per month, I'm sure you did the math. My costs will be a great deal higher than that (payroll taxes, social security, workman's comp, training time, Friday lunches and on and on). As an employer, I'm expecting our combined output to exceed my costs of employing you.

If you want to come here, and really bust butt, and aim to make an additional $250, that would leave you with 2 grand per month to feed yourself and buy gas (remember, in my small zone you'll be driving maybe 20 miles per week).

Still, it's your choice. If you're not feeling right about it, then by all means, don't do something you think you'll regret. I'm OK with all this, just don't keep Henry on the line.

I'm looking forward to coming to do some work with you tomorrow TM. If things are seeming to workout pretty well and you're interested I wouldn't mind working wednesdays with you or if you do any work on the weekends till school is out. Then if you think i'm good enough I wouldn't mind working all summer with you and then trying to set up my schedule fro next fall so i could come down and work atleast 2 days a week. I don't have the experience yet that Nick has but I am getting my Forestry degree at Purdue and i'm eager to learn anything I can.

woodgnome250 said:
I am still pondering whether or not I should go to katrina, The money is good the work sounds good, and im not really looking to relocate permanently.

I vote for working with Jim in Indy! I don't think you could ask for a better boss or working environment. The area where he lives is really, really nice. Plus if you like auto racing you are next door to one the finest racetracks on the planet! If I were in your situation I would do it in a heartbeat, but in the end it is your call.

Yea, Purdue Dude, I'm looking forward to having you down tomorrow. The juicy, juicy way-out-in-no-man's-land piece that I was saving for when you came down, the client was insistent that she be there. Her only day was today, the 9th of feb or the 17th. Gotta do it today, in about a half hour, actually. I'll solo it and set up a time-lapse. It's an extremely overextended limb, going over top of the neighbor's property and tangled up in the crown of her tree. Yummmmmm. I'll be back this evening.

I have a number of other technical trees, so definitely come on down. I'll post a map of tomorrow's job when I get home tonight. I look forward to having you down.

The technical doozie I was supposed to do today, I deferred til tomorrow so PU Climber could be there. I'll be breaking in a new New England KMIII 11 mm. It's over a slate roof, so we'll do a little zipline action.

Here's a couple shots of what we have in store.

woodgnome250 said:
I am still pondering whether or not I should go to katrina, The money is good the work sounds good, and im not really looking to relocate permanently. The other thing that makes me unsure is that the expenses of renting my place would eat up all my earnings, leaving me with very little money to save. One of my main goals in life is to have my own buisiness in N.Y. Im sorry if I am messing up anyones plans with my indecision, but I will have a definite answer for everyone by the end of today, again I apologize for my indecision.

Making a move is a BIG decision, you should take some time and think about it. Storm chasing Katrina style will might make you a bunch of money but I don't think it will teach you the ins and outs of a business. Storm work Katrina style for an outside contractor is hit and run, get the tree down, cut up and moved to the curb, get the check, and move on. Tree work business style is learning the area listening to the customers, building a relationship so that they will refer you to your next client. Big difference driving past clients that have called you of a free will to have you maintain their trees, and the ones living under a tarp that have no choice but to pay you to get the tree off their house so they can get the roof fixed. Sounds like TM has made a good offer in my opinion, and it will give an opportunity for you to see how a business operates and learn, which would be necessary for you to achieve your long term goal of your own business. And remember the great thing about moving to a new place and trying it out, is that you already know the direction home if it doesn't. Good luck. :)

Thanks, Dada. I spoke with Nick on the phone today and pointed out the last of what you just said, that even though you're signing a lease doesn't mean you HAVE to stay. At worst, you give up your security deposit. At best you find someone who wants a single in Broad Ripple and sign over the lease.

Also I encouraged him to have his girl down some weekend. Or go home to visit. Flights to New York are affordable, so if ya just gotta go home, ya just go.

Nick's not signing up to be an indentured servant, or slave laborer. He's an apprentice. He's free to come and go as needed. If he doesn't want to hang for the whole year, so be it.

PU Climber is making noises about possibly coming on for the Summer. That could work out. He'll be coming down tomorrow to spend part of the day.

Hey PU, here's your map:

TM,
The map did not post correctly and is unable to be seen. Thank you very much. After looking at the job i'm excited to be working with you tomorrow.

Jim,
I sure wish I would have been able to go back with you in November. I would have loved to climb some of those strange looking trees you have over there.

This is a great thread I'm going to move it to commercial tree care and leave a redirect here!

No, don't do that DDM. I appreciate you like it, but this is about me finding an employee. Let's just leave it here in employment. It's where it belongs.

Hey KOA, here's a tree I did an estimate on today. The previous last two owners of the house didn't want to do any work on it. The new owner had a dead limb whack her Japanese maple, so she called me. Talk about excited.... I've wanted to climb this tree for 13 years! It's right across the street from the job PU and I will be doing tomorrow. It has some heft. Check it out:

Well we'll have to see the tree in person. My production climbing experience is limited. I've been working on getting more time in the tree just climbing whenever i get free time. Are those cuts gonna be handsaw diameter or chainsaw?

Latest posts

Back