A thousand clients....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TM,
Are those three pictures the only ones that came out well? I've been working on the slings trying to perfect the ends on making them easy to slip into each other. I have enjoyed just messing around with them. I'll have to get some more of the strips when i come down on Wednesday.

Yes, those are the only pics. We set the camera up for time-lapse, but it pooped out just after I got up into the tree. We shoulda gone traditional and just had you fire some pictures.

The 'strips' PU is talking about is 1" tube webbing. I bought 20 feet for him in appreciation of his help that day. We started our day tying loop slings, using both the Beer knot and the Water knot. We had an exceptional time doing zipline work over top of a slate roof house.

For Wednesday we have a crown reduction on a majorly overextended elm who snapped off a major section. I estimated this tree a year and a half ago and wanted to do the work last Winter. Client deferred and then late last Spring, WHAM!, a 12" diameter stem let loose, just missing the garage, but taking out the fence.

The address on that is 36 West 58th st, about 6 houses west of Meridian Street, one block south of Kessler. Here's a map. See you late morning, PU.

As things have came together for TM, Nick, and myself. Yestday was the first day that all three of us had been together working. It was fantastic. Things went very smoothly and everyone was having a good time. You couldn't find a better place to work. It was just fun everyone is clicking together and clean up was quick and easy and almost entirely done by the time TM came down from the tree.

TM, the down load didn't work on my computer. But ya, it was the clip of you cleaning up with your big tarp! HC

Sorry Jim,
I thought it was assumed that I was working Wednesdays and so far you've just posted the directions. I have really enjoyed working with you and would love to continue to work wednesdays. I was wondering what job you had in store for tomorrow and where it would be located.

I'm so very glad you asked.

Tomorrow is a juicy, high climb. If you want to wango tango this tree with me as a team, it could be an incredible time. If you'd rather stay on the ground, that's OK, too, as I can do it myself.

Here's the map, then I'll tell you a little about the tree, enough to make you drool, and then I gotta get some rest because tomorrow can be a mega day. It's midnight? You been studying?

Here's the map: (note: the map has you coming in on 54th street and going north on New Jersey St. My written directions have you coming in on 55th and turning south. Either way, it's very easy to find.)

Well I am doing some studying now the girl friend came to see me for Valentines so we spent some quality time together. I can't wait to hear about this monster.

Happy Valentines Day, Girlfriend of PU. You're invited to come tomorrow if you want. We'll put you on the earth end of the zipline and me and your guy will be aerial zenmen. We can do lunch. Bring chocolate!

The pine is a 42" DBH white pine that's about 110 feet high. It's limbs are so long and overextended that they have begun snapping under their own weight. Only 4 or 5 have done so, and no damage has happened below. However, the resultant growth acceleration in other parts of the tree has resulted in a LARGE number of limbs approaching their breaking point. All are big, and if they're not big, they're at the top of the tree, way up in the stratosphere.

the clients wanted the tree down because of fear of it falling over on their house to the northeast and the next house to the north. The bulk of the limbs are north and east. There's a slight lean to the northeast, and prevailing weather usually blows east or northeast. The tree is only 10 feet from that house, so the majority of the crown is over the house.

Our mission, if we choose to accept it, is to prune in every single limb on the tree, and selectively remove some limbs in the really dense areas completely. There is a fence and a house and a basketball goal below, so most need to be roped down. Also, since most are overextended and extremely weighty and ready to snap under their own weight, walking out on them is rather precarious, dangerous and downright stupid. The low cuts need to be made 15-20 feet out from the trunk and the upper ones 8-12 feet out. Since walking out on them is asking for trouble, and the tree is not accessible by bucket, and most all the limbs need to be rigged down, this presents us with a most interesting positioning/rigging/cutting problem.

It should get hairy up around 80 feet because that's where it gets the thickest, densest and most overest the house. Other than getting pitch all over the ropes and gear, I live for this kinda technical situation.

Would you like to climb it with me? You can be right where it all happens and we'll team up on the rigging. I have to reserve the 'going out there and doing the cutting and lowering' because, well, because that's what I so very love to do.

Boy, are we gonna have a large time. There's a 75 foot silver maple takedown in the same yard if we rock:rockn: and can remain ambitious later in the day. I predict a sizable thirst and appetite shortly after sunset. We may honor :bowdown: the gods of hops and malt and carbonation

if ya ;)

know what I mean, heh, heh. :cheers:

Tonight I test the time-lapse camera and charge the battery.

We'll get it to go this time.

Mebbe I'll call my video guy and see if he wants to drop by for some entertainment and mebbe shoot a few clips. The weather's supposed to be nice. We could have lunch up top. As unbelievable as it sounds, that is what we get paid to do ! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Things could get sticky and sappy and pitch-stained. Wear your worst. I'll provide gloves. ooey gooey resinooey. Be prepared.

Biggest climb to date

The camera battery buggered out on us but the early part of the time lapse shows you climbing SRT on 11 mm Velocity up above me, and doing a really strong climb.

We climbed and pruned all day, big limbs, really precarious stuff over the house. We came out of the tree about an hour after Sunset. Tyler hung with me and we finished strong. This was a grand white pine that the clients wanted taken down. This was an official 'save'.

(click here, wait, be patient) 10 meg Quicktime of Tyler doing the lead.

If that doesn't work, below is the exact, but smaller screen version. Dial-up guys, I would recommend this one to you.

Tree Machine said:
I will try any saw I can get my hands on, but I've figgered out how to get a folding saw to open-proof itself, and be hangable off a biner, at the same time. I'll share that with you if you wanna see.

Yes I would like to see- And I was wondering about an update on the carving bar as pruning tool experiment. Sorry I missed this thread until now.-Congrats on the crew Jim-I hope it works out very well for everyone.

Well hello my old friend, Stumper. I am so very glad you could join in. Would you like a recap, like a [Cliff Notes version of this thread?

-Naw, I saw that something was developing and went back and read it all. -Gotta keep up with the Tree Machine's unfolding drama since it's the biggest little company around when it comes to innovative tree business.

Latest posts

Back