A thousand clients....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey TM, did that 30 minute ride ruin you for good? Nice trick on the uprooted pine tree trunk, BTW. I wouldn't do it with my truck, but whenever you can outsmart the heavy log instead of outmuscleing it, life is good.
:clap: :rock:

Hey Rocky,

Yes, that 30 minute ride in your bucket truck has forever changed the way I look at trees. I now see a bucket in my future, and whenever I'm aloft I think in terms of what a bucket could be doing, as compared to what I'm doing in that moment. That was a really great opportunity, you me letting me fly your bucket. A life-changing experience.

Yea, we got much enjoyment out of putting the long log on top of the truck. It was nice to prove it could be done and that the truck would handle it. It was just one of those quirky moments where you scratch your chin and go, "I wonder if....." And it worked!

Other than trunk tipping, I've been dropping limbs on top of the truck for quite some time now, as part of it's testing, but today we let some whoppers loose in front of the video camera, from 40 feet up, right on top of the truck...WHAM! I hope to bring you that footage in a day or two.

Nick is doing great. He shakes his head at me a lot :jawdrop: And I'll say something like, "Now don't tell anyone you saw that." We're really having a lot of fun together. Having someone there who has experience and who WANTS to be there is so different from someone who's completely novice and doesn't really give a care. Nick actually has tools that he uses to help me do what we do. This is so totally new for me. And he climbs.

I'm very excited to have both apprentices for the Summer.

Here are a couple pics from todays honey locust tree:

I will fess up to being the one that had a little too much fun last night. It was a friends 21st so we went out and had a good time. Sorry for leaving you short handed Jim but I'm not sure how much help I would've been. We were out till about 4 a.m. this morning. It looked like it would've been a fun job. I followed Rule #1 though if you're not gonna make it call and be honest.

That's all I ask. Just call. Calling in is rule number one of the three rules we have here. You're cool with me. I was just givin you a little ribbing.

The climb was tedious and Nick kept up with me, no problem because my rate was rather slow, and doing the filming took a little extra time. Had you been there we'd have loved it, but instead we just got our butts kicked, which is more the norm on any crown reduction day.

Ahh, Blue Ridge, don't be too hard on the noobs. After all, they only have to follow three rules, and PU got the 'call if you can't be here' one, no problem.

Hey PU, do you remember the other two rules? I mentioned them after carbonated malt bevereges a couple Wednesdays ago. These are important.... pop quiz, go.

I have to admit, having Nick, and PU on Wednesdays has really been a life-changing experience. For one, I go to work at a reasonable hour, instead of staying on Arboristsite until 10 or 10:30 am. Cleanups are actually smooth and painless. And the climbing..... I was always pretty territorial with the actual tree care itself and never thought I could let another climber do my climbing. But Nick is like a racehorse in the gate, chompin at the bit to climb anything. I still do the hairy scary technical dangerous stuff, which I would have a hard time giving up, but there are a lot of small /medium trees and Nick is a wirey monkey, Jonesing to climb. It's taken the 100% of the climbing responsibilities off of me (which is NOT something I'd wished and hoped for) and I'm embracing it. I set this cat in a line of 7 white pines this afternoon and he crossed over from top to top, I pole pruned from below and stacked brush.... It was an enriching experience. I never fathomed being someone else's ground guy, but we're having so much fun together it almost feels sinful getting paid..... OK, mebbe that's a stretch.

Tomorrow we have nothing but takedowns, and a couple big ones. This is a rare time whe we can just dump em and dice em and we need a 4-foot bar, which remarkably, Nick is packing, The firewood guys are coming out in the afternoon and are diggin the motherload, and it's Friday so the boss buys lunch. Tomorrow will be a good day. Every day has been a good day.

Jim,
I was wondering about the job for tomorrow. I was also wondering where exactly is the sporting goods store. I went down to the zone friday evening and being dark I got all turned around and never found it. I'd like to get some more of the webbing from there to make a longer sling to run off the ascender. I know it's fat tuesday but I am going to resist and not go out tonight. I also wanna get ur opinion on a pine tree that my cousins want me to do for them in California. Plus eventually i'd like to get your opinion on an oak removal my brother volunteered me to do. He can't climb a lick so basically he underbid the lowest bid by about $100. So it's gonna be my ass up in this tree. The worst part is he underbid it sight unseen. So he's supposed to get me pictures. But for tomorrow they're calling for a chance of rain. So i'll call before i come down and if it rains tomorrow i'll stay here and work on my tree inventory and come down friday since Harvey is allowing us that class time to work on it instead of having a formal class.

Hey Redbull,

Pine and cottonwood. Ya know, I get so very few of those. It's almost all hardwoods where I am, cottonwoods are around, but I get very very few calls for them. There is a greenfill on the other side of town. I have been there twice in the last 13 years, both times were to get rid of big cottonwood.

Conifers are almost always trims, but when I do have a takedown, I have a strategy. If it's small, my firewood guys will mix it in with their stock. If it's large, I use my log arch to move the log to where it needs to go, and that is always a border for a backyard composting area that I sell to my clients (see attached photos). Or it becomes a border for one of my chip recycling sites.

So what's the word on the job for tomorrow? And do you have any opinion on any wisdom to offer on the other topics? Also which do you like better the silky pole saw or the sections?

PU Climber, tomorrow you can use both a Silky Hayate, and a polesaw on 6 -foot fiberglass sections and decide for yourself. Me? I like telescoping reach saws. Heavier, but convenient. I use my section poles for the pole pruners.

Tomorrow we will be doing two takedowns, medium-large silver maples, over houses, and wires...and fence(s), and a garage but not what I would categorize as super technical. One is 36" DBH, not a monster by any means, and the other is somewhat smaller, but taller.

Anyway, we'll have fun. Nick and I will work rain or shine, but you will have to make the call as to what you're comfortable with.

Tomorrow I'll teach you guys solo rigging where you lower the limb and retrieve your rope from up in the tree.

I have a couple slings of yours and a blue Kong locking biner. We can swing by Rusted Moon Outfitters after work and get you some more tube webbing. I look forward to having you down again. Here's the map:

By the way, Nick (Woodgnome) declined the place in the Broad Ripple village with the social action and the college chicks. Instead he chose to embrace the 'local zone' and move into the green lazer house, the one that's just down the street from me. From my back alley to his house (and we timed this) 8 seconds. This evening we brought a large section of cherry crotchwood to his house for milling later this month. After unhooking the log, he pushed the arch by hand down the street to my house because it was faster than hooking it up to his truck and towing it.

Alrighty well rain or shine i'll be there. I look forward to seeing this rigging method. Also I was wondering if it'd be okay to work with you all week over spring break which is coming up the week after next. I am eager to learn anything you have to teach. I've heard mixed things on the pole saws. I am enjoying every day working with you. Even though it's Fat Tuesday I am going to stay sober this evening.

Sure. We're currently booking two jobs for every one we finish. This is our 'light season'. I am really enjoying working with you guys.

Hi Guys!! I'm Nick's little Sister (steph)... Like him, i also love doing tree work, although i'm nowhere near as good as him!
TM i hope yer taking good care of my brother down there!! It gets kinda lonely without him! Maybe me and my boyfriend will come visit him sometime this summer.

Hope you are all enjoying the semi-warmer weather.. it's awfully cold up here.

Take care, and have fun!;)

Hi Steph!

Thanks for dropping in. Your brother is doing really swell. He never stops moving, thinks well on his feet and is dedicated and passionate about the work we do.

He's also really conscientious and honest. For instance, we start our day at 9:00 am and he is always on time, though I might be barefoot with a cup of coffee finishing a reply here on Arboristsite when he arrives. By the time I get lunch made, get the dishes done, get dressed, put some air in the chipper tires, etc., we often get out at 10 or later.

Today was payday. I have Nick keep track of his own hours. We went over them this evening. He had start times of 10:30, 9:45, 10:00, etc. I asked, "What are these times?". "It's when we started work." he sez. I'm like, "No, no, no. Just because I can't get my lame butt out the door by 9 doesn't mean you lose those hours. I ask you to be here at 9, you are here on time, your pay starts at 9."

He busts butt all week trying to make his boss money, and then shortchanges himself on hours. I really appreciate his integrity. His trustworthiness is unquestionable. We're both that way with each other and it's a really great base for a work relationship (or ANY relationship, for that matter).

You should plan to come in to visit this Summer. We're flying his girlfriend in a week or two from now. He stays in close contact with family and friends by phone. I'm very glad for this. I want him to feel supported, both here and back at home. If he's happy day to day, I think he can work to his full potential and get the most out of the experience here. A year is a long time. We're off to a really good start.

McCulloch chainsaw (310) question

Hi,

I have a Mac 310 and all attempts to remove the pawls have failed. The pawls are the levers that engage the starter spool when the starter cord is pulled. The pins that hold then in seem to offer no way to turn or lever them, as they only have a flat round head and restricted access.

I have other chainsaws; I wish to restore this one. Any help will be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Sean McHugh

Sean McHugh, I think you may have posted your question in the wrong place... you want the "Chain Saw Forum" . No worries friend, my eyes play tricks on me after 3am also !!! But since your here, let me be the first to welcome you...and you too LilTreeGal21. to ArboristSite.com Its a great place to hang around...see Ya up there eh! HC

hobby climber said:
Sean McHugh, I think you may have posted your question in the wrong place... you want the "Chain Saw Forum" . No worries friend, my eyes play tricks on me after 3am also !!! But since your here, let me be the first to welcome you...and you too LilTreeGal21. to ArboristSite.com Its a great place to hang around...see Ya up there eh! HC

Hi LilTreeGal,

I reasoned the error as I found the conspicuously placed "New Thread" button, which I previously could find nowhere - possibly due to temporary blindness or privilege restrictions. I had thought/hoped that changing the title might start a new thread, like it used to in Google Groups. It seems it wasn't even the right forum. That must be why I wasn't able to find the letter I posted.

Thank you very much for your understanding, your assistance and your kind welcome.

Cheers,

Sean

Latest posts

Back