A thousand clients....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim,
The time laps video is fantastic. There has to be a better way to do the battery charging. The girl friend was most impressed by the video and how well the climb went. I'm still waiting for my ascender and atc xp to come in. I am not sure if I like the atc device or not. I need to figure out a way to do a hardlock or something. Like to come straight down it worked well but doing the redirect over that limb with the wire raiser it was uite a bit more uncomfortable but maybe over time or there is a secret you can help me with. And i was wondering if you knew what was in store for Wednesday.

Oh that's that big oak across the street from the job we did that first day I came down with you. That's gonna be a lot of fun. Three men + one tree= a lot of fun. I"m hoping for nice weather for that climb. I am still waiting for my ascenders to come in.

Clearance said:
A little humility goes a long way too, TM.
I wish I knew what you meant, Clearance.

Ya gotta be patient with me. I'm learning how to work with others.

Our pines here must seem tiny compared to the ones up in BC, and they are. We don't have ANything like your giants. Good thing for the apprentices.

I actually worked with another climber, Nick, for a whole week. Very much enjoyable experience for both Woodgnome and myself... and then PU coming in on Wednesdays. I am having a very good time. I'm getting ready to do a sizable PPE purchase.

Hey, PU, here's a few more pics from last week's job:

What PPE are you looking to purchase Jim? I got my own pair of the ear muffs to operate the chipper. It was just a matter of getting them from home. Also is that all the pictures from the CD?

So is the oak across the street from the first job the one for tomorrow? i am looking forward to it. I remember where it is and still have the directions to the job across the street.

Good evening Jim. I was wondering what PPE you were looking to purchase and which job is being done tomorrow if you'd like me to come down? I feel like just in the last 3 weeks working with you I've already started to gain knowledge and experience and basically have used most of the money earned towards new gear such to help in working. Plus seeing ur setup has given me ideas on eventually starting a business or kind of an inexpensive way to have set up to do small jobs on the side for family or firends. You've made the point that a bucket truck is not always a must in a business. Plus it seems like being personable and well know and liked by your customer area is important.

Bucket is not necessary but like on last week's pine climb, that woulda been such an easy bucket pick. We would have done that job in 1/3 to 1/2 the time with a bucket. However, that tree was not bucket accessible.

Tomorrow's job is not the oak, but rather a really large, overextended honey locust with a history of snapoffs.

The address is 4820 Washington Blvd.

Meridian South to 49th,
East to Washington Blvd (3 blocks)
Right (south) 2 houses, west side of the street
Front yard tree

We'd love to have you out. See ya around 11 am?

it seems like being personable and well know and liked by your customer area is important.
If you want lessons from a true master, we'd need to go visit Stumper.

Keep spending your money on gear!

Sounds good! I'll be there around 11. So I am guessing Nick is back? Right now I am looking at a pole saw and was wondering if you had any suggestions. Whether to get one with the sticks like your pruner or getting something that is telescoping like your silky. Plus do you have any suggestions on how to do a set up on my MasterII to do a hard lock with the atc xp repel device?

Hard lock would be done with an accessory biner off your right hip. We'll dial you in tomorrow on how to do that.

I'm looking at buying a couple forestry helmets, face shield, muffs and helmet. Eyewear. I may convert a couple sets of WorkTunes into MusiCom. I did this a couple years ago. It was absolutely great.

Jim, i am so delighted to follow this thread...

i had just joined AS when you first posted about your injury... from pondering what you would be able to do, to returning to work, accepting change-- well this is all great to watch!!!

TM

What size chipper do u ? Looks like a 9" feed.

Also, how do you transport logs that are to big for your truck. Do you pay someone to pick them up or do cut them up small enough to transport?

Hi SRF, is this your first post? Welcome to the site!

Man, I've got all kinds of questions to answer..... moving logs, my chipper, Stumper's question of the carving bar on the 346XP, how to create a locking blade /hanging mechanism for a folding Silky and I'm waiting for someone to go "MusicCom....? Yo, Tree Machine....You holding out on us? Tell us, Dude, what is MusiCom?"

I need to rest. Today I set up for a three-person job and ONE of the peoples (who shall remain) nameless called and had been out a little late with his girl, imbibed a few too many beverages and couldn't make it in to work :cheers: Heh, heh. GOOD APPRENTICE!

Today we had a video guy come in to do some filming of me dropping mondo limbs on top of my tree truck. It's part of the testing of the rig and was enjoyed by myself and whoever nearby who could find the strange enjoyment in it .

8 full hours climbing in the honey locust. It was very much a challenging job, once again an easy access where a bucket truck would have served us well. But we didn't have a bucket. We have 11 mm ropes, the ability to reset them on a distant lead with pole pruners and the joy of caring for a magnificent tree.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back