Addicted to Wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLOBOTREE

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Was wondering if any of you Woodsman find yourself fantastically addicted to the aroma and the sheer pleasure of slicin and splittin the Woods. The excitement that transfers into my saw while cuttin it for sale or just stock pilin for those in need of fuel has me at a loss for words to describe this harmless addiction. All your comments and feedback much appreciated, please share your feelings for it will help explain this phenomena i have hardly any control over!

I derive my pleasure from murdering it to get it out of the way of grass for my cows. But the smell of the fumes from my saw is like cloroform to the tree :)

Was wondering if any of you Woodsman find yourself fantastically addicted to the aroma and the sheer pleasure of slicin and splittin the Woods. The excitement that transfers into my saw while cuttin it for sale or just stock pilin for those in need of fuel has me at a loss for words to describe this harmless addiction. All your comments and feedback much appreciated, please share your feelings for it will help explain this phenomena i have hardly any control over!

You could say it's a way of harmonizing with natural processes, and connecting the past to the future. (Since Peak Oil is here or near, and coal & gas aren't the answer.) We relearn some ways of the past and improve. That's one part.

Difficult and dangerous as working wood is, it reduces the power of the sheikhs. Pleasant to many senses, doing it well. Can't explain it to city-folk.

A chainsaw is some of the most destructive power you can hold in your hands - legally. That alone is a rush. Also great to feel and see a log explode with a well placed blow from a maul or single bit axe. Then there is the aroma of the wood itself - nothing like the fragrance of fresh cherry, sassafrass, or white oak. And the workout itself is addictive. I actually get a little depressed after I split and stack the last log. Of course, that glass of bourbon I have afterward eases the anguish and brings back the memories of the white oak.

Yep have noticed a CAD addiction. My girlfriend comes into the room and catches me watching an AS video or reading a post and she says "oh chainsaw po-rn again, huh?" lol maybe she is right? naw wheres my saw:chainsawguy:

Aroma hmm try Cedrus libani Lebanon Cedar or Cinnamomum camphora camphor laurel.

Or the joy of new fitted saw chain on your favorite saw as it slices effortlessly though, thats a high as is the sad low when you hit that 1st object n blunt it....

Or the moment of knowing you got that log trunk or limb just as you planned seeing it sail, fall or pop away to ground with a most satisfying thump....

The Woodsman

A chainsaw is some of the most destructive power you can hold in your hands - legally. That alone is a rush. Also great to feel and see a log explode with a well placed blow from a maul or single bit axe. Then there is the aroma of the wood itself - nothing like the fragrance of fresh cherry, sassafrass, or white oak. And the workout itself is addictive. I actually get a little depressed after I split and stack the last log. Of course, that glass of bourbon I have afterward eases the anguish and brings back the memories of the white oak.

Well said my fellow addict, I completely appreciate everything you have said here, I do share the rush you speak of when I fire up my biggest and best friend, my saw. When I fold down my ear muffs i feel alone and protected well within my place.While splitting does generate feelings of explosion, in that once the maul penetrates and explodes the woods, all frustrations I may have had somehow reduced. Yes, when I run out of woods, I do share that empty feeling as well, so the search is on again~ and b4 too long another sweet pile will await my return. Thanks for helping me to identify!

The Aroma

Aroma hmm try Cedrus libani Lebanon Cedar or Cinnamomum camphora camphor laurel.

Or the joy of new fitted saw chain on your favorite saw as it slices effortlessly though, thats a high as is the sad low when you hit that 1st object n blunt it....

Or the moment of knowing you got that log trunk or limb just as you planned seeing it sail, fall or pop away to ground with a most satisfying thump....

Lebanon Cedar i sure would like to smell that!

Looking at a split of wood I don't see what my wife or others see. I see a perfect fuel cell that contains 20,000 Btu's or more for each piece. I see 6 KiloWatts in that same piece (3.414 Btu's per watt). When I see a long wall of it seasoning over a long summer I can just sense the solar energy absorbing into it and enhancing it's power. It's one of the world's most perfect energy sources thay your government doesn't want you to know about.

Wood-A-Holics Anonomous:

"Hello my name is Stan....and I'm a Woodaholic"..........."Hello Stan!!!"

I love to cut, split stack and burn wood. I think it was what I was meant to do. And I'm good at it. I can start a fire anywhere under any weather conditions which is a good talent to have and has saved me and friends some awfully uncomfortable moments in the past.

Maybe it's an addiction...lol.

:chainsawguy:

I drive down the road, look at a 20" straight white oak, and think "I'd love to get my hands wrapped around that!"
Maybe I'm just getting older???

I think some of you guys need to see a Doc...says the guy that has been labeled a "Wood Whore" by his wife, sil and others in the family and friends....;)

I drive down the road, look at a 20" straight white oak, and think "I'd love to get my hands wrapped around that!"
Maybe I'm just getting older???

I am guilty as charged. Its only unlawful if I act on that 20" oak in my neighbors yard, right??

Agreed with many above. I've only been doing it a few years, but I really enjoy working on the wood pile, and all the hard work, smells, btu's, and tasty beverages that go with it.

I used to have that feeling, but after 34 years of cutting wood it doesn't have the same appeal as it used to, especially since we started selling wood a few years ago commercially. I still enjoy the smell of the wood and the different grain patterns and all the different bugs you find deep in a round, but a saw has become just another tool. Although I confess to being a Stihl head, I really don't care what brand it is as long as it starts within three to five pulls and will cut.

any wood doctors can reach me at Arboristsite~i wood have been splittin it, but i am gonna keep it for now.watch it rot away in its own time.
Favorite wood~ anywood is good.

WOOD

I've got it too. I love the smells, the being in the woods/outdoors, the satisfaction that comes from getting the job done, the smell of the woodstove burning, the site of the fire in that stove, the feel of that warmth, it goes on and on. My father worked in furniture manufacturing and I grew up around those plants and was in them a lot. I grew up smelling that wood. I spent 7 years with the forest service and before that worked at a sawmill for a year. So my obsession with wood goes a long way back.

Yep, I love it too! My neighbor calls me the wood whore but it has saved them from going cold.
I love to run my saw, and split wood. Love the smell of doug fir and cedar.
Also love the different grains and thinking of things to make out of some of it.
Love the smell of it when I use the wood burner to make pictures too.

My wife laughs at me when she "catches me looking at wood ####." She asks me all the time how I can sit and look at other people's wood piles. I tell her that I have wood pile envy. She shakes her head and walks off. She is becoming a scrounger though.

Latest posts

Back