Addicted to Wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good thread!! Aside from the exercise, which i need, its a cost effective measure to beat the propane guy. None of the fuels are getting any cheaper, the winters certainly are not getting any warmer. I dont heat exclusively with wood but every bit helps. There is a certain feeling of satisfaction felling, bucking, and loading a pick-up full of wood by yourself. REJ2

I know this feeling very well. Before i got my own woodstove i would scavenge, cut, split, season, and then give away all the wood i had to those that needed it. I simply enjoyed being out there doing the work. Over the years i have probably given away 50-100 cord of good wood just so i could get out and keep cutting!

You are all referring to an O.C.D. termed by Herr Doktor LB as

WoodPiles.

Symptoms are (not in order of severity):

1. Sneaking out of the house to snort ( politely "smell" ) newly split or cut butts.:dizzy:

2. Slipping out at odd hours to simply gaze or stare at your woodpiles.:popcorn:

3. An unusual eagerness to carry splits into the wood burning appliance to..........ah,well, burn.:jawdrop:

4. Long pauses in bucking with rolled eyes and near orgasmic joy at the odor of newly cut wood.:censored:

5. Associations with C.A.D. that border on compulsive.:confused:

Other symptoms may be noticed by associates such as wives or children.:cheers:

You are all referring to an O.C.D. termed by Herr Doktor LB as

WoodPiles.

Symptoms are (not in order of severity):

1. Sneaking out of the house to snort ( politely "smell" ) newly split or cut butts.:dizzy:

2. Slipping out at odd hours to simply gaze or stare at your woodpiles.:popcorn:

3. An unusual eagerness to carry splits into the wood burning appliance to..........ah,well, burn.:jawdrop:

4. Long pauses in bucking with rolled eyes and near orgasmic joy at the odor of newly cut wood.:censored:

5. Associations with C.A.D. that border on compulsive.:confused:

Other symptoms may be noticed by associates such as wives or children.:cheers:

I must be OK then because
1. I don't snort butts
2. I don't gaze at my wood at odd hours. I do it at 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12 o'clock.
3. uh...uh....
Well, two out of five ain't bad.

The Woodsman

You guys are real swell openin up like that and really sayin wood like wood is~ now sit back and experience the beauty with all y'others describin' just how the woods feel, of course all at different times and to different folk and of course different woods 2. Do y'all find a certain easing? a certain strength? and that wood is so flexible, dead or alive? theres never any waivering from the certainty of wood being there, completely with you, yours 4 ever if you really want it to be there! seems the one little piece could last a lifetime if that wood was well nourished and protected from the usual endings some of the less fortunate seem to so bravely jump in to. The unmistakability of the woods is so comforting, again from a therapeutic point of view. A famous pop singer once taught me a very interesting source of strengthenen while we strolled through a real nice forestpark in downtown T.O. a bit of a date~:heart: that~:bowdown:a certain energy could be straddled and actually harnessed and that a flow of that said energy could be made possible to flow through the aura of the Livingwoods and transfer part of the flowing energy to the human spirit. I tried it there with that girl and it was there and then I was convinced that these woody beings were truly something else... amazing i say! really!! amazing!!. Ever since i have been taking good care of as many Trees as humanly possible, to the best of my ability.i figure every life saved is another for me grandchildrens children to potentially hug! right there in their own backgarden of some hopefully peaceful metropolis like place(better watch them wood mizers dont get their way with the innocent...lol) ahh! nevermind about them there all good folk just the same~ part of the circle i reckon, never saw any woods that wood mind. Anyway if you dont mind kinda givin a little testimony here to the true appreciation as i have, (and again much appreciation to those already reckonin' so) well... i wood b most happy to sit down at the end of me day draggin or humpin whatever!! to hear y'all tellin more of how she be... i think y'all catch the drift,of the woods man.:heart:

You guys are real swell openin up like that and really sayin wood like wood is~ now sit back and experience the beauty with all y'others describin' just how the woods feel, of course all at different times and to different folk and of course different woods 2. Do y'all find a certain easing? a certain strength? and that wood is so flexible, dead or alive? theres never any waivering from the certainty of wood being there, completely with you, yours 4 ever if you really want it to be there! seems the one little piece could last a lifetime if that wood was well nourished and protected from the usual endings some of the less fortunate seem to so bravely jump in to. The unmistakability of the woods is so comforting, again from a therapeutic point of view. A famous pop singer once taught me a very interesting source of strengthenen while we strolled through a real nice forestpark in downtown T.O. a bit of a date~:heart: that~:bowdown:a certain energy could be straddled and actually harnessed and that a flow of that said energy could be made possible to flow through the aura of the Livingwoods and transfer part of the flowing energy to the human spirit. I tried it there with that girl and it was there and then I was convinced that these woody beings were truly something else... amazing i say! really!! amazing!!. Ever since i have been taking good care of as many Trees as humanly possible, to the best of my ability.i figure every life saved is another for me grandchildrens children to potentially hug! right there in their own backgarden of some hopefully peaceful metropolis like place(better watch them wood mizers dont get their way with the innocent...lol) ahh! nevermind about them there all good folk just the same~ part of the circle i reckon, never saw any woods that wood mind. Anyway if you dont mind kinda givin a little testimony here to the true appreciation as i have, (and again much appreciation to those already reckonin' so) well... i wood b most happy to sit down at the end of me day draggin or humpin whatever!! to hear y'all tellin more of how she be... i think y'all catch the drift,of the woods man.:heart:

OMG, this must be a Canadian thing. CUMBAYA . We have ignition. :blob2:

Under no circumstances GT, are you to quit your day job.:hmm3grin2orange:

My name is Ben and I am addicted to wood-cutting splitting and burning. Nothing is better than getting together with your buddies and cutting firewood. And using chainsaws is a definite bonus too.

Some time ago, a male family friend of ours was going through certain issues and was greatly distressed & depressed. I felt for him, wanted to help him and offered him this advice: "You need to go take a walk in the woods. You need to ground yourself. Go find the biggest tree in the forest, sit down at the base, lean back against the tree. Close your eyes, breathe deep and just listen to the woods. You will come back refreshed and healed."

Sage advice - I thought.

He thought I was nuts. :)

I don't (publicly) sniff my wood piles - but I have told hubby I wish someone could bottle the smell of fresh cut wood. :)

Shari

Last weekend I slpit a pile of wood that had a lot of cherry in it, and that is one sweet smelling wood pile.

Favorite smell is the combo of wood chips and two stroke exhaust when I'm out cutting.

Some time ago, a male family friend of ours was going through certain issues and was greatly distressed & depressed. I felt for him, wanted to help him and offered him this advice: "You need to go take a walk in the woods. You need to ground yourself. Go find the biggest tree in the forest, sit down at the base, lean back against the tree. Close your eyes, breathe deep and just listen to the woods. You will come back refreshed and healed."

Sage advice - I thought.

He thought I was nuts. :)

I thought it was going to end, "then a big branch fell down and cracked him on the head. He sued me for 5 mil and is now living happily in the Caribbean.

Lebanon Cedar i sure would like to smell that!

I cut a lot of it this summer.. Gotta tell you I didn't like the smell that much. The smell is interesting. Nothing to fantasize about.
I've never got the chance to smell north American hardwoods. You guys are luckier than you realize!

The smell of The North American Hardwood

Trust me goanin I realize it alright and thats why I am offering you the same opportunity to grab a sniff, right here right now. Thats right I am convinced that this is an easier done than said thing to do. If you like just take your pick of the woods you think you wood like to sniff. I will give it a bunch of thought if your serious, then ...i might arrange a sniff of the lebanon cedrus.
:chainsawguy:

DOUBLEWOODWORD*DIAMONDAWARDWIN*
POULANPRO405PLUSAWYERSAW
THE USUAL SUSPECTS~3 MUSKETEERS (STIHL170*270*361)
Late 1990 GMCSIERRA~THEREDTREE
:heart:OFGOLD

My wife laughs at me when she "catches me looking at wood ####." She asks me all the time how I can sit and look at other people's wood piles. I tell her that I have wood pile envy. She shakes her head and walks off. She is becoming a scrounger though.

When my wife catches me looking at internet pics of massive woodpiles she just says to me:

"Most men just look at p#rn"

You guys can relate~ sometimes I just got to have it. Its 210am and I need it, but the closest I can get it is planning right now~ its too late and really I can wait but... i thought y'all could relate. Hit me come on~ let me hear it~tell me you know where im at! Mery Christmas boys!

I drive down the road, look at a 20" straight white oak, and think "I'd love to get my hands wrapped around that!"
Maybe I'm just getting older???

Well, that's not too bad. At least you've got a chance at getting it somehow ( talk to the landowner; maybe it falls across the road; power co. comes through and trims, etc. ).

When you're out on a hike, about 2 miles from the nearest road of any kind and you come across a big oak blowdown, then start thinking along the lines of, "Hmm, how could I get this out of here and back home?", maybe to the point of "I wonder if I could borrow one of those CH-47s for a little while...". Then you just might need to get some counseling.

I'm liking all of it and the exercise is a bonus. Yes, I sniff my wood and stare at my piles. ;)

Sometimes it's a moment like this:

A couple summers ago I was splitting some black cherry at the edge of a field where I had dropped and bucked it. A sunny, but rather cool day for summer, it was time for a break. I sat on the stump I left at the top of a ridge over looking a small valley and creek at the bottom. Nice shady spot.

As i'm eating a sandwich and drinking water I started to notice the noises of nature. The birds chirpping, leaves rustling in the trees from a light breeze,
crows cawing. My first thought was about how relaxing it all was.

Then I spotted something coming through the tall ferns about 75 yards away
down in the valley below me. A nice 8 point whitetail buck. I just sat there quiet and watched for about 20 minutes until he disappeared over a hill.

That was a definite, "does it get any better than this" event.
I finished eating and went back to the splitting with a renewed energy.

Never forgot that little moment in time.

Latest posts

Back