Addicted to Wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm liking all of it and the exercise is a bonus. Yes, I sniff my wood and stare at my piles. ;)

Sometimes it's a moment like this:

A couple summers ago I was splitting some black cherry at the edge of a field where I had dropped and bucked it. A sunny, but rather cool day for summer, it was time for a break. I sat on the stump I left at the top of a ridge over looking a small valley and creek at the bottom. Nice shady spot.

As i'm eating a sandwich and drinking water I started to notice the noises of nature. The birds chirpping, leaves rustling in the trees from a light breeze,
crows cawing. My first thought was about how relaxing it all was.

Then I spotted something coming through the tall ferns about 75 yards away
down in the valley below me. A nice 8 point whitetail buck. I just sat there quiet and watched for about 20 minutes until he disappeared over a hill.

That was a definite, "does it get any better than this" event.
I finished eating and went back to the splitting with a renewed energy.

Never forgot that little moment in time.

PRICELESS:bowdown:

The White Tailed Deer

PRICELESS:bowdown:
:bowdown:
Here is where i would love to stay, the white tailed deer~the running living breathing Tree. Often I have thought with all the branches upon its head prancing through the woods, so proud! this is somehow an evolved Tree.

The Woodsman

You are all referring to an O.C.D. termed by Herr Doktor LB as

WoodPiles.

Symptoms are (not in order of severity):

1. Sneaking out of the house to snort ( politely "smell" ) newly split or cut butts.:dizzy:

2. Slipping out at odd hours to simply gaze or stare at your woodpiles.:popcorn:

3. An unusual eagerness to carry splits into the wood burning appliance to..........ah,well, burn.:jawdrop:

4. Long pauses in bucking with rolled eyes and near orgasmic joy at the odor of newly cut wood.:censored:

5. Associations with C.A.D. that border on compulsive.:confused:

Other symptoms may be noticed by associates such as wives or children.:cheers:

:agree2: Find recommended prescription as follows: Go to AS look for more.

:bowdown:
Here is where i would love to stay, the white tailed deer~the running living breathing Tree. Often I have thought with all the branches upon its head prancing through the woods, so proud! this is somehow an evolved Tree.

You may need help GT. PM for prescription or referral.:hmm3grin2orange:

P.S. Under serious blizzard whiteout here Downeast. Power is iffy.
Got my love and my stoves to keep me warm. (Play song here)

Last edited:
whats the point in starting a new thread? about wood? is there? does anyone else love the woods? i'd like to see some pictures of wood in all its glory! help me out guys i appreciate it~thanks in advance! havin withdrawal!

Yes i must say i am so addicted to cuttin the chips flyin of my pant leg and the sweet smell of amsoil 2 stroke and the fresh smell of the wood when its harvested and going down the road in my pickup!!!!:rock:

i cut a lot of trees but my wife is addicted to the wood...lol....:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Spin on the addiction

I thought I might start a new thread about being addicted to burning firewood. But being a polite boy I checked others first, sure enough already one posted.
My "problem" is slightly different. My shop is about five miles from my house where I have no wood burning stove, at home that is. I cannot wait to get to the shop to get a fire started in the morning. I like to see if there are any coals left so I blow and check for those lovely orange chunks. Once the fire is roaring I see if I can get the most heat out of my stove. If I am there all day I even like to see how warm I can get it-----80-----82---.
Oh BTW my wife and kids pick on me for looking at log splitters and chainsaws online. They say I have a problem.:embarrassed:

I love cutting and burning wood. I am 31 years old and I have been around it all my life. The thing I like about it most right now is shareing it with my kids like my Father did with me. My kids love to go out and help split and stack wood. They love the different colors and smells that all the wood produces. It is definitly therapeutic and It is even better when you can share it with someone. I am just glad there are others who feel this way as well.

The Woods man

seems when things get you down, that one can always turn to the wood for some unique source of calm, an offering that is there, not to be underestimated. even some of the nice carvings we have seen here on AS that bring out the very best artisticly in us. definetely a true gift from the heavens i reckon!

Somehow I ended up turning this sort of work into somewhat of a hobby also. I find it enjoyable to get up at the crack of dawn, cut up a truckload and bring it home. Then over the next couple of days I'll leisurely get that split and stacked. I think I mostly enjoy the feeling of independence I get in working for my own family's heat the next winter.

Cutting and splitting White Oak always makes me want a bourbon and coke I even have the jack daniels coffee that taste and smells like white oak.

The Woods always wait

:peace::flag:
Somehow I ended up turning this sort of work into somewhat of a hobby also. I find it enjoyable to get up at the crack of dawn, cut up a truckload and bring it home. Then over the next couple of days I'll leisurely get that split and stacked. I think I mostly enjoy the feeling of independence I get in working for my own family's heat the next winter.
No complaining no rushing and a warm welcome always to be relied on. The hard ones always sit there and silently challenge you, even miles away...from the otherside of the lake. When I close my eyes I can still picture the nubby ones, yesterday we were loadin up some central pieces, noomzee says" look this piece is shaped as a person. He may have the same harmless addiction, rather fascination...

seems when things get you down, that one can always turn to the wood for some unique source of calm, an offering that is there, not to be underestimated. even some of the nice carvings we have seen here on AS that bring out the very best artisticly in us. definetely a true gift from the heavens i reckon!

Just seemed too solid to cut up and split. Here's some art for you GLOBO.:laugh:

Not sure I would classify my "passion" as addiction, but seeing more green than white on the ground, and my wood racks empty from this past winter has me quite antsy to be out cutting and gathering for next year.

Whatever you want to call it -- I enjoy it, as does my family and neighbors.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back