Advice needed for Stihl MS290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ive ran some pretty bad gas before never with that kinda damage for such little use on the saw,sorry man:frown:

oucchhh! i just done one a week or so ago that was the same way it still had the factory shine to it,,, i would take it to the doctor the saw dr that is and have him work his magic! very nice of him to offer the help..thats what makes this site great:rock:

I have no issue getting dirty, I just fear the after-market products....so I am leaning towards your engine.

I have installed two aftermarket pistons from Bailey's, a site sponser, with good results. One of them went into a saw that looked as bad as yours, but the jug cleaned up nicely with the muriatic acid treatment. (I know, some of you guys install two pistons before lunch every day, but hey I try....:biggrin: )

If the engine has not already be disassembled by the dealer, I would suggest vaccum testing and pressure testing BEFORE you tear it down in an effort to find the source of the problem.

He's going to bring next week it by and I'll give my opinion on what can be re-used (if any.) No way in telling without having a good look at the cylinder in person. Going to install some of those new 360 degree carb "limiters" and a "lightweight" muffler while we're at it. :smile2:

Sawtroll would approve. :help:

We purchase 290 of bay to use for parts from time to time. We got one in the other day with hopes for a carb rebuild according to the guys description on ebay. Well I never seen such a clean dry inside of a supposed run 290. It was scored on both intake and exhaust and not a hint of any oil residue anywhere in it. The trace of gas still in the tank was nice and clear looking. Local stihl dealer thinks maybe straight E85 washed it clean. No matter parts are parts. So off to the parts bins for it.
Bob

Jury is in. Looks like P.O. straight gassed it, broke it loose, and then sold it. Saw is super clean. I doubt it has a hour of run time on it total. Pics tomorrow maybe. Hard score on the exhaust side, and some on the intake as well. Cylinder looks like it will clean up nicely. I'm thinking a new 46mm Meteor, some muratic acid, and some Dirko HT will have her back in service. I opened the carb up, and it is not clogged anywhere. Oily mix in there now, but the O.P. did get a few minutes of run time out of it on his mix before the meltdown.

Latest posts

Back