Advice on small saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docbar85

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Would like to purchase a smaller saw to go with my 044. I like the 260 but think it is a little pricey. Which husky is the closest to the 260? It looks like to me it would be the 55 which cost about $150 less. I'm not looking for the cheapest, just don't want to waste money. However, I want quality equipment I can count and if it is the 260 thats what I will get.
Also any advice on where to purchase any recommended saws would be helpful. Locally the dealer wants $439 plus tax for the 260. Thanks in advance.

It looks to me like any of the following saws would work great for you...
350, 353, 346xp, 55R

I have/do own all of these models. All top notch saws. In my opinion, the 346xp is the nicest saw I have ever held in my hands. I have ran all of the huskies up to the 385xp, and for its size, I don't think there is another saw on the planet that will run with the 346, regardless of brand. It is a power house, case closed. The 353 would be my second choice. Great power for its size, great low-end grunt. Its a toss-up between the 55R and the 350. The 55R has a little more power, but the 350 is a little lighter and revs a little faster.
So in a nutshell, give a 346xp a try, you won't regret it. And you can easily find one for 350.00 - 360.00. By the way, I am not biased towards husky OR stihl. I own both and love both. But between my 260 and my 346, I always grab the 346 ;).
Good luck either way!

Tough decision. All good saws. Look at dealer support and how each one feels in your hands.
Good Luck

I've got a Makita 520i that I am very happy with. The saw is made by Dolmar. The 520 is discontinued but the 540 (54cc vs. 52cc) is still a current model. Even the 540 is slated to be replaced by a new saw from Dolmar, as a result there is a nationwide push to purge the 540 from inventory before the new saw hits the market. Dolmar 540's and Malita DCS540's can be had for less than $300.00 and are very well built ( I got mine after the first owner ran it on straight gas, so I have been inside this saw).

I would get the best husky or stihl that you can aford you cant go wrong with them also buy the pro model even if it has to be one size smaller for the price good luck

Don't forget about the Husky 359, it is right in there near the 55 Rancher as well at 3.9 hp and 59cc. Make sure you can get one without the cat converter though. (cat converter models have green gas caps).

I do agree that the 346XP is an awesome saw. That and the 359 are probably your best bets, closely followed by the 55 Rancher and the 353.

I'll throw my dissent on the 346 XP. My all time least favorite saw. The two I used oiled terribly. The first one was sent back and they acknowledged it wasn't working right. Finally we machined the orifice on the oiler with the bridgeport mill. It oils ok now, but not what I like to see. I've heard many people taking oilers from larger Husky saws to compensate for this problem.

IMO go with the 260. I've never had a problem with mine.

How old is your 346XP? I have not heard of any oiler problems with this saw. Mine seems to work fine so far..........but it is only a few months old. I hope it doesn't have this issue as it get's older

I have to vote for the 346xp. Its a little SCRRREAMER. Fast, Light, Low Vibrations, Well Balanced, Air Injection.... Only thing I would recommend is running a 16 inch bar on the saw. It will handle something larger, but you have a larger saw to run longer bars.

Everyone here knows that i would vote for the 346 , it is a great saw for the cc's it is, now i am not taking anything away from the 260 but if i had a choice I would take the 346.

Notwithstanding all the expert advice pointing towards the Elux, I'd like you to take a moment and consider parts commonality.  Ever get yourself into a situation where you needed another bar nut, clutch cover, sprocket e-clip, or just about any machine screw?  If you stick with the Stihl, you'll have all those spares with you all the time.  Don't forget that you'll have just one bar mount to contend with, and the fact that the Stihl-made bars are the best available.

To me this is a non-question and it's not just because I favor the Stihl brand (not out of blind loyalty, but their engineers evidently think like I think).

Glen

dont kid yourself,the 026 will run rings around a 346 in everyday usage :) :angel:

The 346 is one mean little machine fur shur, but the 260 is no slouch either. Have you held both saws? They have quite a different feeling to them and most people will immediately like the feel of one over the other. I have a 353 husky which makes only slightly less power than the 346 but has more torque. Shindaiwa 488 is an awesome saw to if you have a local dealer of if you dont mind buying elsewhere and not having dealer support.

Glen. He could just sell the 044 and buy a 346 and a 372. The bar nuts would exchange though not the bars. He would have two great saws that sound great. (The 044 is a great saw but I hate the way it sounds.) :p ;)

Crack Pipe?

Aussie,

Are you and glens smoking from the same CrackPipe?

Not that theres anything wrong with that....

Just CoooolChillin on the glass pipe.

Latest posts

Back