All the Downtown Ladies Call Me Tree Top Lover, All the Men Just Call Me Sir!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Reaction score
Hi There, I got to work about noon today and forgot my 2171D and 385W at home. Anyway I only had the 088 by Ken Dunn with me with 21" bar and 3/8 RS to chop with.
Wow, what a riot I had. It had no dogs, but it still blasted thru the wood in felling cuts. Just for the record you can fall, top and cut to length about 4 trees or 1500 board feet on one tank of fuel including all the associated pecker poles, spring poles and dead fall.
It isnt that heavy with the small bar and it is easy gotten use to. Ken removed the choke baffle for more air flow, but to choke is an easy matter of misting the intake with fuel. This I only had to do once.
So I guess what I am trying to tell you is that I only worked 4 hrs today and used one tank of fuel. I think my 088 is rated at 16 hp after Ken worked on it, which is one more hp than it was yesterday.
Playboy Logger

Last edited:
Hi there, its a good thing I am the only employee I have otherwise I would get fired lol. I spend lots of time taking pictures and daydreaming. I want every bush to last forever.
In the picture below, Im choping off a Black Cherry veneer log at 126" with an 18 hp 088 by Ken Dunn of Oroville Calif. U.S.A.
Lil Leroy

:D Another good pic from the Gypo collection :cool:

Why don't you post some more of your pics in my post "Post Pics" :confused:

Good choice for the skidder...

Some more good ones John,nice Maple logs,and of course nice 088!!

Keep'em coming John I know you got alot of pics

Rob

Hi Rob, heres the only one I have left of today. My battery was low but in this heat it keeps on hangin on. The best trees are yet to come. I pull the tops out as well which takes more time than the falling and skidding of the body wood if its done right.
John

Nice pics as always John and your 088 is looking sharp. As always, the work of Ken Dunn never ceases to amaze me, the way your 088 is increasing in hp from frame to frame, that saw is likely to be on upwards of 30 horse by tomorrow morning! BTW, is that a jug of fryer oil in the bed of your truck? Are you going "green" on us? Russ

I think Dennis proved it's for buffalo. Not sure I'd want to use an 088 for that, though... :blob2:

Oh that reminds me, thanks for bringing up the subject of chain oil. I dont know what Dunn done or did to the oiler, but it sure puts out the lube. Voila, no more dry stretched chain in long cuts.
Ken, I wont ask you what you did, but the oil tank is almost empty when it runs out of fuel.
Hey Russ, sorry I wont be at Booneville to get drunk with you, but anyone that goes there will get an inspirational kick in the ass.
Pal,
John

Hey, gyro th' clown

I'll show you some "long" cuts, little fella.......

spose by now it's 21 hp, but is the bar down to 3 inches???

harumpf,

but still slower,

the dodg

just wait til Ken drills out the 3120 and we toss in th' nitrous.....

Hi Ken, is it ok if I leave the 3120 piston in the 088 for falling and bucking etc? It runs real nice and I set it slightly fatter on the high screw of the carb running 32:1 semi synthetic. When I spit on the muffler to check the temp it doesnt boil or catch on fire, which is a good sign, even in a long cut. I will put on the double dogs tonight and an 8 pin sprocket. The 21" bar is fine for falling even in 30" wood. I can make the cuts more accurate with the short bar.
Its a real rush to have this kind of unleashed power in ones hands with trees like this.
Thanks again,
Lil Leroy

Hi Roger, bring it on buddy, I will hit you with so many flurries you will think your in a snowstorm! lol
Its fun to race and with Ken out there, we will all be trying to get the best saw out of him, but it costs money for those extra 100ths of a second!
I think your 3120 can be made to cut faster than my 088.
I keep bribing Ken with offers of used 2100's, 066's and 084's so that he will keep me in first place for Clearwater 2003.
Anyway, the man that can feed Ken the most $$$ and used powerheads will come out the winner.
I am going downstairs now to install dogs on my 088KD as I watch it grow to 22.5 hp.
Now were Loggin

Little leroy

Hello Big John,
Its really a pleasure to run a saw with lots of torque. we used to have big saws, gear drive saws that would run a 6 foot bar that the fallers helper would have to hold up the end of the bar so they could get a straight cut started according to art martin they would have cut from both sides if it was a 12 foot diameter tree and if it was 15-16 foot they would have too notch both sides down too 12 feet. but this is arts story so i'll let him tell the rest of the story. the title will be WEST COAST LOGGERS.
Anyway john the way the hp figures are going up you must have some irish in you.were gonna have close to 40 hp before you get your strip finished. lol its a pleasure to have that power available even if the saw is a bit heavier. that saw is so much faster cutting that instead of running from tree you can just mosey over and still keep the bullbuck happy.
I dont think rogers saw will outcut your 088 yet, remember, you got the 400.00 dollar woods job and you have some husky parts in your 088
lol
kd

Understanding Logging

:angel: Hey there Gypo, I really liked your pictures. Maybe we could go to the woods sometime and you could show me how you do that? Great trees!! So, how does one get to know a bushman better?

CB

Hi Cinnamon Girl, glad you like the pics.
Oh ya, thats no problem, you can come into the Forest with me anytime you like my sweet little Wagon Burner.
Love You,
John

Latest posts

Back