Almost perfect trio!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some sort of maple but not that big for 20+ years old!

Japanese Maple, I believe. Great for a contrasting color.

I started a grove a few years back and have a few hunderd trees growing and more every year. The farmers look at me like I am nuts, planting trees on $9000 an acre ground with $8 corn but it is what I bought it for, future home site! YES, have seen way to many large oaks turning leaves yellow, what could it be? I hope it isn't something going around as i just bought a 40 acre oak heaven and would hate to see it get farmed because they all die! I hope it is just the dryness we are having!

I was on our town's tree committee for a while. It's recommended that a variety of hardy trees are planted in case something wipes out an entire line - Dutch Elm, Ash Borer, etc. No more than 10% of the total trees should be of a single species. But that's a suggestion for an entire community, not a single property.
Still, the guy who first owned my house (over a hundred years ago) planted about 10 different tree species - oak, sugar maple, silver maple, sycamore, cherry, black walnut, persimmon, pecan, chestnut, elm. The elm and cherry are dead, the silver maple is dying, but the rest are going strong.

Any guesses on those oaks or start a new one?

Latest posts

Back