Almost perfect trio!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ancy

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
attachment.php

View attachment 241536

Very nice pic, looks like a pro advertising pic!

"almost perfect', ok, get a headache rack. good to go then!

No horns but a locust!

Oh... Don't worry... Thorns on Honey Locust are like horns on cattle... Every individual may not have em', but they're rolling around in their genes...
You did everyone a public service...

And for that, we thank you... :bowdown:

Nice saw by the way...:rock:

Around here they think a corn stalks are worth more than tree trunks!

Lovin the trio! This is comin from a Dolmar and Toyota man like myself!

You couldn't be more right about the "last tree in Iowa" guys... My FIL had me cut down 3 very nice 20ft maples and a 15ft walnut off their farm in western Iowa... Guess they were starving the corn of water and light... :dizzy: I think it's funny that 15 trees = a grove to them... Just enough to protect the house from wind damage and nothing more!:msp_thumbdn:

Also on another side note... Any of you other guys noticed that there have been some big oaks just taking a dying lately??? I've had my 5 call to drop a 30-45in oak... And they have all been dead but in areas with plenty of sun and water and no bug activity... Just hope my oaks don't take a turn south... :msp_unsure:

Lovin the trio! This is comin from a Dolmar and Toyota man like myself!

You couldn't be more right about the "last tree in Iowa" guys... My FIL had me cut down 3 very nice 20ft maples and a 15ft walnut off their farm in western Iowa... Guess they were starving the corn of water and light... :dizzy: I think it's funny that 15 trees = a grove to them... Just enough to protect the house from wind damage and nothing more!:msp_thumbdn:

Also on another side note... Any of you other guys noticed that there have been some big oaks just taking a dying lately??? I've had my 5 call to drop a 30-45in oak... And they have all been dead but in areas with plenty of sun and water and no bug activity... Just hope my oaks don't take a turn south... :msp_unsure:

I started a grove a few years back and have a few hunderd trees growing and more every year. The farmers look at me like I am nuts, planting trees on $9000 an acre ground with $8 corn but it is what I bought it for, future home site! YES, have seen way to many large oaks turning leaves yellow, what could it be? I hope it isn't something going around as i just bought a 40 acre oak heaven and would hate to see it get farmed because they all die! I hope it is just the dryness we are having!

I started a grove a few years back and have a few hunderd trees growing and more every year. The farmers look at me like I am nuts, planting trees on $9000 an acre ground with $8 corn but it is what I bought it for, future home site! YES, have seen way to many large oaks turning leaves yellow, what could it be? I hope it isn't something going around as i just bought a 40 acre oak heaven and would hate to see it get farmed because they all die! I hope it is just the dryness we are having!

Oak wilt...??

i think 1 or 2 of mine had problems with heavy machinery crushing the shallow running "feeder roots." The others I couldn't say... Some of that oak will be making me warm in the winter, while using the rest to mill and make into nice furniture!

You just can't buy anything from a furniture store anymore without it being laminate/veneered plywood/particle board... Pre-milled hard wood is at a premium around des moines and the only hard wood furniture you do find is sky high Amish furniture... :msp_mellow: No Thanks! I'll cut down some of these free oaks and mill them into boards myself! Or have my man in Irwin, IA mill it up for me!

They're not "wilting"... more like progressivily dying and not filling in full foliage over a couple years, and then dead and dry after 4...

I will try to get some pictures of what the neighborhood ones are doing. They are turning yellow, same as a bunch of the town ones.

Reportedly Stihl used to resell Fiskars tools. No more- now they resell Iltis Oxhead mauls- big step up IMHO, as are Wetterlings, Gransfors and Muller. Cost more, but well worth it.

Kinda hard to clone a good smithy into a cookie-cutter industrial process. Same as you'll never see samurai swords in blister-packs.

Some of us strongly prefer well-fitted hickory handles, too. Got a Muller maul a few months back, and it still amazes me. Mimicked its head shape on a couple of "bargain" mauls- major improvement, but I can't duplicate the metallurgy.

Reportedly Stihl used to resell Fiskars tools. No more- now they resell Iltis Oxhead mauls- big step up IMHO, as are Wetterlings, Gransfors and Muller. Cost more, but well worth it.

Kinda hard to clone a good smithy into a cookie-cutter industrial process. Same as you'll never see samurai swords in blister-packs.

Some of us strongly prefer well-fitted hickory handles, too. Got a Muller maul a few months back, and it still amazes me. Mimicked its head shape on a couple of "bargain" mauls- major improvement, but I can't duplicate the metallurgy.

Have you tried a Fiskars x27, your mind might change?

Latest posts

Back