Alternative to sharpening your chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's permeated with ash from Mt. Saint Helens?

Could be... I just figured it was an Ash tree that grows in Oregon...
But thinking along those lines, that would lead me to think it was a softer version of Ash...
Cause that's what they got out there...
"SOFT WOOD"
I could move a Hedge tree out there, and it'd probably just go limp...
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

Sorry Bob, I couldn't help myself....
:big_smile:

damn i need a drink after reading all this. to just lightly touch up a chain takes as long as it does to change it out. but to each his or her own. people are going to do what there going to do. to some of you all thanks for the laughs to the others thanks for the headache. :msp_rolleyes::biggrin:

You know when you have CAD, you start keeping EVERYTHING, to try and even make blown up junk run, its all good, even chain all the way shot, its good for something:hmm3grin2orange:

Good deal. I'll have to track some down. Maybe it will work for muh mustache too
mustache.jpg

Nice hair. Not so sure Groom&Clean will work on ya stash but then again hell it might, give it a try and report back. Worst that can happen is ya wake up in the morning and ya stash is pointed the other way,LOLOL

Tommy,

I have seen several dealers sell used, unclaimed chains for the cost of sharpening. Any problems with your shop doing that?

If you can't, I am sure that there folks here on A.S. willing to adopt and provide good homes! One of our A.S. members packed 30 pounds of unloved chains into a USPS 'flat rate box'. Really impressed my mailman.

Philbert

Well I guess we could sell them for the price of the sharpening but I'd have to go through all them and count the drivers and check the guage to see what fits what. I usually check the date on the tag, if its been here over a year it gets canned. You idea tant bad though, I'm gonna ponder on that. The Stihl chains I can eye and tell what they fit. The odd ball chains are the ones I'd have to count drive links on. May just do that, hmmmmmmmmmmm

Well I guess we could sell them for the price of the sharpening but I'd have to go through all them and count the drivers and check the guage to see what fits what. I usually check the date on the tag, if its been here over a year it gets canned. You idea tant bad though, I'm gonna ponder on that. The Stihl chains I can eye and tell what they fit. The odd ball chains are the ones I'd have to count drive links on. May just do that, hmmmmmmmmmmm

Why? Just Pile them up, take a pic of the pile, and put a price on it!!!!

If the chain has less than 50 per cent life, put it in another pile and price it!!!

Or throw all of them in a large flat rate box to me, and we'll split it, if not, no worry.....

Why? Just Pile them up, take a pic of the pile, and put a price on it!!!!

If the chain has less than 50 per cent life, put it in another pile and price it!!!

Or throw all of them in a large flat rate box to me, and we'll split it, if not, no worry.....

Could do that but then they gonna say do any fit my saw of which I'm gonna reply how'd the hell do I know, get outta here ya dayumm bum,LOLOLOLOLOL

Come January I'll see what I got. I usually toss 20-30 every year. Fish I got something better for you that I know you can put in your E-bay store and make some pennies on. PM me your address...

Could do that but then they gonna say do any fit my saw of which I'm gonna reply how'd the hell do I know, get outta here ya dayumm bum,LOLOLOLOLOL

Come January I'll see what I got. I usually toss 20-30 every year. Fish I got something better for you that I know you can put in your E-bay store and make some pennies on. PM me your address...

oooooo, I'll do it slowly........

Seriously, the last real Stihl Dealer I worked at, I made more money out of their dumptster than I did from their payroll dept....

i have a pile of "Whie Ox " gloves half used i can box up ,guess i could wash them and reuse them but they are cheap enough i just buy new ones when too dirty :hmm3grin2orange:

I spent many years learning how to sharpen a knife. I have used everything from diamond stones to a Tormek but they took too long and were wearing hollows in my knives. I stumbled upon a youtube video of someone using a Kalamazoo 1” belt grinder as a knife sharpener and I shamelessly copied the technique. I can now put a convex edge on a knife that will pop the hair off your arm in under a minute.

Quick & easy knife sharpening - J. Neilson - YouTube

For chainsaws, if you puddle around the stihl web site long enough, you will eventually find a vid how to sharpen a chain. If you follow the technique demonstrated and don’t let the chain get dull, it’s easy. I can touch up a 24” loop of saw chain faster than I can add mix and oil.

Yes belt sanders are the way to go and they are for creating a dead edge knife into a sharp one. HOWEVER stones or those things u see butchers, the name escapes me atm, are for maintaining a razo edge, u do not use a belt sander for that- give ur knife a touch up every once in a while with one of those. Same thing for chainsaw chain a hand file is for maintaining an edge a grinder is for shaprening a dead edge completely dull chain or one that hit a nail, rocks etc...

Well I guess we could sell them for the price of the sharpening but I'd have to go through all them and count the drivers and check the guage to see what fits what.

My local dealer hangs them from nails on a board near the counter. Sorted by pitch. Sell themselves to guys looking for a deal.

You can post a chart with STIHL and Oregon ID numbers on it to let customers sort the gauges and count the links. Offer to cut loops down for another $3 if they want.

You don't have to make a killing on it; just recoup your time (and keep good chains out of the trash!).

Philbert

just read parts of this thread :taped:
when I use to do the maintainence for a logging contractor
I would sharpen all the chains every morning and fix the busted ones
one hour to do 20ish chains not hard at all get up early or stay up
late and sharpen them be a men :givebeer:

And the alternative to replacing a spark plug or tapping out the air filter would be to just sell the saw, and buy a new one. Brand new... Nice and shiny.

Wait a minute... *digs out credit card* I think the OP might be onto something!

I am totally new to this forum and tinkering on saws, I have seen the term CAD used but cant seem to figure out what it refers to???:msp_confused:
CAD = Chainsaw Addiction Disorder or Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder.
They are still working on a cure here on the forum but nothing so far ;)

Latest posts

Back