Alternative to the Super Splitter.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow you can get two Wood Wolf splitters for the price of a SS. Tough to go with SS when the gap is that much. Just keep a complete spare splitter for breakdowns, lol.

Wow you can get two Wood Wolf splitters for the price of a SS. Tough to go with SS when the gap is that much. Just keep a complete spare splitter for breakdowns, lol.

I don't think so....

I tried to get a Wood Wolf, guy wouldn't return my calls. Heard from another guy who had been waiting a year and still had no idea when he'd get one. They also weight half what a SS does and the Wolf uses Chinese parts.

I called Paul at SS and had a splitter three weeks later :pumpkin2:

edit to add> I didn't pay twice what a Wolf cost either...

Last edited:
From what I hear its a SS painted yellow. I would love to know for sure.

Made by Super Split? Never heard of that, or seen one, or heard of anybody
having problems with a real SS...

There are two around here (besides mine), both used commercial, one over 15 years old. No problem, or complaints from these guys.?

I don't think so....

I tried to get a Wood Wolf, guy wouldn't return my calls. Heard from another guy who had been waiting a year and still had no idea when he'd get one. They also weight half what a SS does and the Wolf uses Chinese parts.

I called Paul at SS and had a splitter three weeks later :pumpkin2:

edit to add> I didn't pay twice what a Wolf cost either...

I doesn't matter what price they are if you can't get one, lol. Light weight would actually be nice if if was just as sturdy, but my guess is that it is not. Just because it is Chinese does not mean it is no good, but chances are better that that the bearings and such will not last as long.

Who makes that "Wolf motor" anyway?

PLAYINWOOD
do you have any pics of it with the lid off ?

This is the only one, took it for a guy that built one and wanted to see how the bump stops looked. Got a photo of yours?

ssbump1.jpg

Last edited:
I doesn't matter what price they are if you can't get one, lol. Light weight would actually be nice if if was just as sturdy, but my guess is that it is not. Just because it is Chinese does not mean it is no good, but chances are better that that the bearings and such will not last as long.

Who makes that "Wolf motor" anyway?

I was told Wolf uses a no-name Chinese motor, but I really don't know.

This is the only one, took it for a guy that built one and wanted to see how the bump stops looked. Got a photo of yours?

ssbump1.jpg

Exact same.
See the bolt on top there are two but only one showing, stripped.
See the bearing that runs on the beam, replaced, after I ran it flat, my fault.

Piece of flat bar that supports bearing and is spring loaded, broke in half. I made some spares at work, and broke the next two because they weren't running perfectly true on the beam.
Actually the ny-lok nut wasn't tightening it enough to stay true so it would wonder.
I spose I should keep watching for these things.

Maybe I'll go and snap a pic

I was told Wolf uses a no-name Chinese motor, but I really don't know.

Lol I didn't even know that there was such a thing. You can get a bottom of the line 6 HP Briggs for under $100 if you buy in bulk. How much cheaper can the Chinese motor be? If that is the case, it has really lowered my respect for that machine.

Looks like a very close copy of a SS, I do see slight differences .

Just a few thoughts; Seems like it's be easier/cheaper to produce the machine in Canada, than to import it. Why would SS make same splitter but rename it, for Canada? Seems they would want to use their name and reputation to help sell the product.

Thanks for the pics. I'm going to check with SS, just for curiosity.

Edit to add; Just a couple things, the way the axle it attached to the frame is different. Highway hubs and tires. The work table is all different. But most of it looks just like SS. I'll get a few more pics of mine.

Last edited:
Looks like a very close copy of a SS, I do see slight differences .

Just a few thoughts; Seems like it's be easier/cheaper to produce the machine in Canada, than to import it. Why would SS make same splitter but rename it, for Canada? Seems they would want to use their name and reputation to help sell the product.

Thanks for the pics. I'm going to check with SS, just for curiosity.

Edit to add; Just a couple things, the way the axle it attached to the frame is different. Highway hubs and tires. The work table is all different. But most of it looks just like SS. I'll get a few more pics of mine.

The work table is homemade and has been reworked and I'm gonna do it again.Correct,no highway wheels
Who says its made in Canada?

Now I think my dealer is correct, I'll finish the story.

early 90's we had a 60 cent US dollar so a 3K SS was about 4500 and I'll bet sales weren't to hot.
How do we get our machine to market at an affordable price but without the Americans running up north and paying 2500 CDN (US1500?)on our machine.
Solution:
paint it a different colour and rebrand.Really would there be 800 in parts?

They are still 2500 new at my dealer

Id love to see more pics of yours.

Whats the clearance between the brass shim and the main beam. I've never been able to get that to work properly.
To wide, puts undue force on the spring and bearing breaking that piece of flat bar but if its too close snow,saw dust,slivers of wood etc get jammed underneath it so the ram doesn't slide.
Pound on it with a hammer usually works to dislodge foreign particle but if it doesn't your removing that whole top assembly.

Have you ever tried putting those ram retraction springs off and on?...

That Honda motor is unstoppable and the splitter itself when it works is the best thing I've ever used both in terms of speed but also manuverability .

Info???????

can any body close to that one made in Ohio get some action pics.Thanks!!

Pete:yoyo:

Playinwood,
We posted about the same time earlier, so you might not have seen my lat post;
sunfish Just checked with Paul at Super Split. He told me the 'Gripo' is a knock-off of his splitter.
Paul also said it was made in Canada.

Here are a couple more of photos The clearance between the brass shim and the main beam is, .060", or 1/16"+/-. I've not had anything get jammed in there yet. I have also not tried removing or putting the main spring back on. Looks like the SS has two bolts on top of the rack/ram, where yours has one, that might be the problem there. The flat piece of steel that holds the bearing probably needs to be made of a high quality spring steel to hold up? Hope you get yours working good, they are fast and fun to run.

ssbump3.jpg

ssbump4.jpg

Latest posts

Back