Am I alone or crazy???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad E

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Yesterday here in NYS it was near zero and wind was blowing forcing wind chills to way below zero. I told my wife I was heading to the woodlot to cut and bring home some of the downed trees I had fell earlier. Her reply was "ARE YOU NUTS???" But out I went, never got cold, because I was working all the time.
When I came in after about three hours I enjoyed a rather large and hearty breakfast. I told my wife I kind of liked the cold, I never got cold myself and never worked up a sweat like usual.
Now I do not have to this...its a choice rather than my line of work. Am I nuts or are thier others out there who work in thier woodlots or woodpiles during inclimate weather..as a choice?

You're not huts. If you HAD to do it you probably wouldn't have wanted to. It's never too cold to hunt or fish, but it's often too cold to work(if the bossman tells you you HAVE to). Sounds like human nature to me.

Bad E said:
Yesterday here in NYS it was near zero and wind was blowing forcing wind chills to way below zero. I told my wife I was heading to the woodlot to cut and bring home some of the downed trees I had fell earlier. Her reply was "ARE YOU NUTS???" But out I went, never got cold, because I was working all the time.
When I came in after about three hours I enjoyed a rather large and hearty breakfast. I told my wife I kind of liked the cold, I never got cold myself and never worked up a sweat like usual.
Now I do not have to this...its a choice rather than my line of work. Am I nuts or are thier others out there who work in thier woodlots or woodpiles during inclimate weather..as a choice?

Living up here near zero isn't that cold. Add to that that you're in the woods out of the wind and you'd be suprised how easy it is to work and stay warm in sub zero temps. Anything less than -10 and exposed to the wind, now I try to stay out of that!

The only thing I don't get is guys who can stand that kind of cold without gloves. I see it all the time but how:confused:

only comment. if u are crazy u definitely not alone. little o that in all of us.
told my new wife if she had come off as perfect on our first date,it would have been the last date.
on your subject. its great to go out in the cold ,and work untill u start sheddin layers of clothes.being from nc. i never wear heavy coats . just several layers.
when its time to shed the last layer. being a considerate of my fellow person. i forego the shedding and just call it a day.:)

Nope, I only cut when its cold as I keep firewood stockpiled and only cut when I feel like it. Now the good news is this, if you like that cold stuff, you may have potential as an amateur astronomer, cause we stay out there all night and often freeze our asses off and love it. Yep, maybe we are a little crazy. :laugh: :laugh:

West Texas said:
Nope, I only cut when its cold as I keep firewood stockpiled and only cut when I feel like it. Now the good news is this, if you like that cold stuff, you may have potential as an amateur astronomer, cause we stay out there all night and often freeze our asses off and love it. Yep, maybe we are a little crazy. :laugh: :laugh:
I have been interested in astronomy in the past.:laugh: Nearly bought a Dobsonian(sp) mounted telescope of pretty good size a few years back.

Bad E said:
I have been interested in astronomy in the past.:laugh: Nearly bought a Dobsonian(sp) mounted telescope of pretty good size a few years back.

Go for it, I've got two telescopes and work as a volunteer up at the University of Texas, McDonald Observatory. Seeing is best in the Winter when its clear and cold. And when its too cold for that, I use my Ham radio's. :) Between the chainsaws, telescopes and radios there are no dull moments in retirement.

I prefer to cut and split firewood in cold weather(15 degrees or less) as you dont become drenched in sweat.
I typicaly wear a set of thermals under a sweat shirt, a pair of carhart pants and Icemans on my feet. I find this about perfect as far as keeping comfortable goes.
If I am cutting and skidding I bring a stocking cap and a Carhart jacket that worn only when riding in the skidder.

bwalker said:
I prefer to cut and split firewood in cold weather(15 degrees or less) as you dont become drenched in sweat.
I typicaly wear a set of thermals under a sweat shirt, a pair of carhart pants and Icemans on my feet. I find this about perfect as far as keeping comfortable goes.
If I am cutting and skidding I bring a stocking cap and a Carhart jacket that worn only when riding in the skidder.
Vey similar for me yesterday. My red union suit thermals, a pair of sweat pants, a med.weight thermal shirt, and a light pullover sweat shirt.A took(sp) on my head and a pair of merino wool socks under my Wolverine work boots.It must have perfect as I got neither cold nor hot.

I pretty much did the same thing yesterday. It's not quite as cold in north Jersey, but it was down near 20 or so. Spent about 2 and a half hours cutting and splitting. I just got a new file guide and my excuse was to see what kind of edge it put on the chain. I am pleased to report back that she cut like butter....actually better than it did when the chain was new.

Plum Loco

Having spent over 20 years in central NY, I can attest to this.Splitting wood and cutting are good for the mind and body.As it seemed to me when you can see that you are accomplishing something and getting fit doing this, it calms the nerves relaxes the arteries giving a warm and good feeling. This is what it did for me until I moved to Texas! I can concur with this feeling. Yes we are all a little off doing this. I now miss this sort of activity, Ken

I like the cold weather myself. I work a lot better in cold weather. The heat drains me. I've almost forgotten what 'real' cold is since moving 'south'. Down here in Arkansas it can never get to 'cold' here. The winter here is like the late fall back home in Alberta, Canada. Now, when it gets down to -30 C with a wind chill (-22 F), like it would get some days a few years ago in Alberta, when exposed flesh can freeze quick and so on, it can be a little miserable being outside. Alberta has had really mild winters the last few years though. It's been a long time since I've experienced that kind of cold. I do miss the snow, but not the extreme cold that can come with it. Just cold enough to keep the snow around is what I like. As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, it's NEVER to cold to hunt or fish.:D So why am I living down south now where the 3 month's (June, July, August) of the year nearly kill me with the heat? It's a kinda long story...:)

Definately not alone, and no crazier than the rest of us. I was out myself yesterday. Not so much because I felt like cutting, but because that noreaster we had dropped a large oak and 2 medium sized maples on a friends house. No major damage, only the tops hit the house.

14 degrees, 30 to 40 mph winds, and everything covered with ice. Perfect ingredients for a nice winter project. Perfect day also for the heated handles on my 2156DLX. Instead of making fun of it as being a sissy feature, the other guys wanted to use it. "Naw, but you can borrow my gloves if you want."

The best part was the expression on my buddy's wife when we came walking through the bedroom with the saws so we could make a few cuts from the deck. (No, they weren't running)

We actually had a great time.

Well you can't be too crazy. My son and I slept out in this mess Saturday night after hiking half of the Golden Eagle Trail (Pine Creek Gorge, Lycoming County, PA). We camped on the cliff known as Wolf Rock. Had camp set up at 4:30 and brewed-up by 5:30 and in the sleeping bags at 6:00. Two inches of new snow. Spindrift blowing in the vents of the tent all night (40-50 mph winds). It was great. I like to cut wood when it is cold. Did that all day today. What a great weekend.

spike60 said:
Definately not alone, and no crazier than the rest of us. I was out myself yesterday. Not so much because I felt like cutting, but because that noreaster we had dropped a large oak and 2 medium sized maples on a friends house. No major damage, only the tops hit the house.

14 degrees, 30 to 40 mph winds, and everything covered with ice. Perfect ingredients for a nice winter project. Perfect day also for the heated handles on my 2156DLX. Instead of making fun of it as being a sissy feature, the other guys wanted to use it. "Naw, but you can borrow my gloves if you want."

The best part was the expression on my buddy's wife when we came walking through the bedroom with the saws so we could make a few cuts from the deck. (No, they weren't running)

We actually had a great time.
:laugh: Actually I recently bought a new saw and I just love the crap out of using it. That was surely a deciding factor as well.After all I'm putting in next years firewood already.With my new saw I'm going to end up with a huge store of firewood or I will clear cut my property, one or the other.:laugh:

my bro-in-law and i were out yesterday also. bucked up a little over a cord in this weather. although the carhartt bibs, timberland boots and 3 sweatshirts and a jacket made it "only cold on the nose"

I'm a roofer in Minnesota and my boss makes me work in the freezing cold, ice, snow, whatever... And alot of times I can't wear gloves because I am also one of two guys who does all the metal on every roof. And unfortunately you can't wear gloves to do metal work, no matter how cold it gets...

Well, you may be crazy, but not much different than a lot of us. Hey, when it is above 80 degrees and humidty of 80 to 100 it's time to lay back. The heat shuts me down but, I'm still in the timber marking trees for harvest and checking for bugs. Heat wears out equipment and men a lot quicker than cold.:)

Latest posts

Back