Am I alone or crazy???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Y'all would LYAO at the way people in Houston bundle-up when the temp drops to under 50F. I've never lived a cold climate, but I suppose correct clothing and common sense are key. Here in Houston pacing yourself in the heat is the thing to master; plenty of breaks with lots of fluids.

BTW our high today is going to be around 65 with nary a cloud :D.

Once you start working the cold goes away!

Layered clothing is the key! I always seem to overdress at the start so it is easy when you can just take off layers. This day was -10 C with the wind chill so I bundled up and once I got into the bush it is warmer and I was sweating and worked with my Jacket off all day.

I actually kinda like working in the cold bush!

3269-Milling2.jpg

MikeInParadise said:
Layered clothing is the key! I always seem to overdress at the start so it is easy when you can just take off layers. This day was -10 C with the wind chill so I bundled up and once I got into the bush it is warmer and I was sweating and worked with my Jacket off all day.

I actually kinda like working in the cold bush!

3269-Milling2.jpg
I'm with you. This AM I did a little work out in the woods before I came in for my "real job".There was a fresh layer of snow on the ground, bobcat tracks everywhere. After cutting a little wood I just sat in silence in my red pines, it was totally quiet except for a distant train whistle. Heaven for a moment.;)

You're not crazy or alone. I do all my firewood cutting in the winter...usually stay a year ahead because spring summer and fall I'm logging and don't have time to cut wood for myself. I cut and split in the winter,deck it up, and in early spring just stack it in the shed to dry throughout the summer for next winter. A cold day here is maybe 30 degrees...not anything like you guys back east. Don't think I'd be that dedicated. :laugh:

If I could get into the woods, I would do more cutting in Jan. and Feb., but the snow is usually about 2-3 feet deep and I can't get around with the pickup. Last year I went out when it was -19 and windy and it was great. I had to shed all but the coverall layer because I was sweating so much. Winter cutting is much more enjoyable for me. I do not care how cold it gets. If I can get in the woods, I will go.

Snow???

the snow is usually about 2-3 feet deep and I can't get around with the pickup

Hmmm...I wouldn't know what you are talking about?

Both of these pictures were taken in January of previous years. :D

This year not a drop of snow right now!:)

3269-TruckBuried-2003.jpg

3269-SnowJan03-2.jpg

I'd be out there right now if the weather permitted. I have no problem working in cold weather as long as the wind isn't blowing and snow is no problem. Here though this year it is rain, rain and more rain when itshould have been snow. having a very weird winter. Nothing more miserable than working in wet clothes when it is chilly.

I have a bad case of cabin fever - may have drag the saws out and fire them up just to play with them.

Harry K

turnkey4099 said:
I'd be out there right now if the weather permitted. I have no problem working in cold weather as long as the wind isn't blowing and snow is no problem. Here though this year it is rain, rain and more rain when itshould have been snow. having a very weird winter. Nothing more miserable than working in wet clothes when it is chilly.

I have a bad case of cabin fever - may have drag the saws out and fire them up just to play with them.

Harry K
I hear ya. Yesterday was my day off and I planned to cut some wood. It was 40 degrees and a driving rain. I do not mind the cold but the rain is no fun.

Bad E said:
..... Now I do not have to this...its a choice rather than my line of work. Am I nuts or are thier others out there who work in thier woodlots or woodpiles during inclimate weather..as a choice?
You're not nuts, at least not if your saw(s) have heated handles!
Bad E said:
I hear ya. Yesterday was my day off and I planned to cut some wood. It was 40 degrees and a driving rain. I do not mind the cold but the rain is no fun.
I agree!

Latest posts

Back