AMSoil Saber in Stihl BR600 and warranty issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodH

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Thinking of switching to AMSoil Saber or Stihl HP Ultra in a 2y old Stihl BR600 Any recommendations on synthetic oil types and ratios for this Stihl 4-Mix backpack blower? Have been using Stihl Premium exclusively with 92 octane since new with no issues.

Just curious as to why you want to switch if you have no issues. Saber is great in 2 strokes, 4 mix is a different animal. I read some where that ultra was designed for the 4 mix but I don't know if that's true.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Just curious as to why you want to switch if you have no issues. Saber is great in 2 strokes, 4 mix is a different animal. I read some where that ultra was designed for the 4 mix but I don't know if that's true.

Mostly because of the smell. Also had a neighbor's machine seize up using Stihl Premium. Have been curious about using the synthetic 2 stroke oils. Been thinking about the Stihl HP Ultra more and more as the best option.

Mostly because of the smell. Also had a neighbor's machine seize up using Stihl Premium. Have been curious about using the synthetic 2 stroke oils. Been thinking about the Stihl HP Ultra more and more as the best option.
I run saber in all my 2 strokes, I have one 4 mix and it's a pole saw that I only use once or twice a year so I use canned premix in it.

Stihl hp ultra in my br600 since 2010 mixed at 50:1. Hundreds of hours, many of those hard hours with fall oak leaves - zero issues.

If your neighbors seized on premium, how confident are you it was mixed correctly
Not confident at all. You never really know. Dealer warrantied a short block with lots of complaining.

Ultra was designed for the Stihl 4-mix engines to protect their valve train . It has been reported to cause gumming & spunge issues in exhaust screens in trimmers & cat saw mufflers , in conventional 2-strokes ! I would stick with the dealer recommendation if still in warranty , but since that's behind the op any premium synthetic would be prudent @ 44:1 . Saber or Interceptor @ 50:1 would be safe , although I used Stihl Premium for yrs in ms260 & 361 with no issues . Enjoy your new Blower Rod !

I use Amsoil Saber in all my 2 stroke equipment at 70:1. The oldest is a Stihl BG85 which is about 18 years now. My modded Husky 390xp is 15 years old. Everything I own with a motor in it gets Amsoil. Never a problem with any of them. None rebuilt yet either.
lol ran saber in my old 1979 Evinrude 90 HP V-4 for yrs , awesome trolling & top end performance and plugs always as they should be . I occasional treated the fuel with some Lucas top end for dispersant since Saber is not a marine spec oil then or now . Neighbour still has the Evinrude running Amsoil Marine synthetic @ 50:1 15 yrs later . I have moved on to 115 HP 4 cycle outboard due to better fuel efficiency obviously !

It is illegal to deny warranty for ANY oil usage, as long as the oil meets specs. It is called the Moss/Magnuson Act. That pertains also to vehicle warranties-unless they offer you free oil changes, like toyota does.
Amsoil Saber Pro will do fine in your 4-mix equipment.
Try running that up the flag pole with a Echo Dealer within their 5 yr warranty !

Not confident at all. You never really know. Dealer warrantied a short block with lots of complaining.
there was an issue a few years ago on this problem with upper end seizing, ( tolerance issue i think) once Stihl realized it they warranted them no problem and later did know the ser# range of effected units-but not all in range had issue, however if his was one of the first to crap out or dealer never read bulletins could be reason why given hard time

I have two Stihl 4-mix engines (FS110 and BR600). Both user manuals state to use Stihl 50:1 2-stroke oil OR a high quality equivalent. The BR600 manual specifically recommends (but does not require) HP Ultra fully synthetic, the FS110 manual is not specific. When I bought the BR600 the dealer included a 6-pack of Stihl Premium oil, which doubled the warranty. Stihl's US website mentions doubling the warranty period for certain equipment in non-commercial use if Stihl HP Ultra is purchased with the equipment.

Stihl Premium is rated TCI-AP on the bottle. Mine were made for Stihl by Shell Canada, no mention if it is synthetic, so probably not. No mention of fuel stabilization.

Stihl HP Super is a semi-synthetic rated JASO-FD, ISO-L-EGD and "Particularly recommended for STIHL 4-MIX engines" according to the Stihl website (I don't have a bottle to look at). Includes fuel stabilization. This product IS on the list of JASO-FD certified oils. Oddly, no mention of TCI-AP.

Stihl HP Ultra is a bio-degradeable fully synthetic also rated JASO-FB, ISO-L-EGB that includes a fuel stabilizer according to the website, but rated TCI-AP according to the specifications brochure and the label on the bottle. So maybe meets all 3? However, it does NOT appear on the list of JASO certified oils -- either as -FB or -FD.

Amsoil Saber Professional is a fully synthetic that states it is "for use in applications where JASO-FD, ISO-L-EGD or TCI-AP are specified" on both the bottle and the website -- but again, they do not appear on the list of JASO-FD certified oils. Their Technical Data Bulletin states that they themselves performed some testing. It does specifically state it is suitable for Stihl 4-mix engines. There is no mention of biodegradability. Given that Amsoil proudly touts this feature in some other products (eg: hydraulic oil), that probably means it isn't. They do state it stabilizes fuel.

Personally, I have used Amsoil for years in the FS110 and other 2-stroke equipment without problems or concerns. But I wouldn't want to get into a warranty battle over it since it is impossible to prove it is equivalent to Stihl's products. Amsoil's "Warranty Secure" icon means bumpkiss -- it's just a marketing gimmick they made up and has no legal standing. Doubly so outside the US, where the Magnusson-Moss act has no effect.

As for Stihl's products themselves, they are obviously all over the map. Stihl apparently offers a conventional, a semi-syn and a fully synthetic, any of which apparently meet their warranty requirements. Suppliers (and therefore possibly formulations) vary by market. The one oil that states it is specifically recommended for 4-mix engines -- and that IS actually JASO certified -- is not even mentioned in the manuals for either of mine! Stihl is equally guilty of playing an oil marketing game in claiming Ultra meets JASO-FD without actual certification to prove it. The only type of oil specifically forbidden in the manuals is TCW or NMMA grades that are intended for outboard motors (which are water-cooled).

But that's just my 2¢.

Back